Puppy 5.x no print via USB

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
MikeHalloran

Puppy 5.x no print via USB

#1 Post by MikeHalloran »

I'm trying to use this aging HP Pavilion a556x desktop. I say aging because the hard drive is dead. I booted from several Puppy live CDs and installed them to a flash drive, then booted from the flash drive.
I've tried Slacko 5.4, working now, Slacko 5.3.3, and Lucid 5.2.8, and I think a couple more.

All work perfectly, except for this:

The local printer, an HP 5610 AIO, installs normally, and files sent to it just disappear into a bitbucket. No response. Tried a different cable. No difference.
Tried a different USB port; no difference.

<later>

Other live CDs, and the CentOS6 that I have installed on the new hard drive, find the printer and work with it just fine. I.e., the problem is not in the cable, and not in the printer.

But all of the 5.x Puppies that I have tried work exactly the same way. They see the printer, install it normally, and print normally. ... but nothing comes out of the printer, and there is no sign that anything goes in, either. No flashing power light, no R2D2 noises, nothing.

Is there some disconnect in the data flow between the printing code and the USB port in Puppy 5.x?

Is there a way to track this problem down further?

bill

Cups printer setup

#2 Post by bill »

Mike : In 5.X you may wish to try this: Open up your browser and in the address window type this only 127.0.0.1:631 . It takes me directly to Cups
in my 5.20 for printer setup.Good luck.

rcrsn51

Re: Puppy 5.x no print via USB

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

MikeHalloran wrote:The local printer, an HP 5610 AIO, installs normally
Your printer will need a driver package installed by you. Have you done this? Where did you get it?

Please describe step-by-step what you are doing to install and test the printer.

Is this unit an Officejet 5610?
Is there some disconnect in the data flow between the printing code and the USB port in Puppy 5.x?
No. Printing works fine in all of these Puppies.

Have you made your printer work in earlier Puppies?

MikeHalloran

#4 Post by MikeHalloran »

The printer is an OfficeJet.

After installing hplip, the printer worked fine in 3.4.1.

So I went back to Slacko 5.4 and tried again.
Added hplip.
This required a fair bit of fussing, because many of the repositories listed produce error messages instead of or in addition to '200 Ok'.
The one in Germany seemed to work best, but I still got an error that libpython2.xxx was not installed. ... and could not be found anywhere by Puppy Package Manager.

Then I went back to CUPS and tried to get the printer running.
Hplip clearly installed a driver for the printer.

Selecting 5600 + hplip didn't work;
test print said stopped because /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic/rip-hplip failed.

Selecting 5600 + hpcups 3.12.9 worked.

So it's working now.
Thanks, all.

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

Your easiest source for an HP printer driver is the hplip_print-3.12.10a.pet from here.