Puppy Linux and Tablet PC

Booting, installing, newbie
wanderergamer

Puppy Linux and Tablet PC

#1 Post by wanderergamer »

Hello everyone and congratulation for this wanderfull site and distro PUPPY.
Im an owner of IBM X41 tablet pc.I wander if there is a puppy version that automatic support wacom active digitizers on tablet pcs.The reason for supporting touchscreens and wacom is the kernel,xorg or just the wacom driver? I'm a beginer and i try the wacom drivers on this forum but i didn't make it.I believe people like me who just want an OS for graphics,sketching,music its dificult to learn the programming part of puppy for example compiling,xorg config etc.So i believe puppy next versions should support automatic hardware detection like ubuntu 12.10.Ubuntu support my x41 tablet and touch screen works well.But puppy linux is ultra fast and if there is a automatic touchscreen support it would be perfect for me.[/b]

don570

#2 Post by don570 »

A couple of people have successfully gotten a tablet computer to work
with a wacom driver.
Read HERE for some experiences

The secret is to use 'wacom_w8001.ko'
and just ignore 'wacom.ko'

If you look at thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16491
which has lots of packages available, the ones made by
Charlie6 have 'wacom_w8001.ko' inside the package, so I
would install one of those. But Charlie6 has made pet packages
for only a few puppy variants.

But some puppies already have 'wacom_w8001.ko' installed
and it might work???

Here's an xorg.conf published that may be useful
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68264

wanderergamer

#3 Post by wanderergamer »

Thank you Don570

When i have time and IF it gona work i will post reply.

I d also like to say that i test lightpup 5.00f and everything works perfetct for ibm x41tablet(you deed to change to 3rd option of video drivers force xorg-vesa and set video resolution to 1024x768) expept for wifi drivers ( when i scan wifi finds my router,but when i save my wifi profile and try to use it nothins happen)and when i want to she movies with greek subs,when i change the region nothings hapen.Probably a font problem or need of code?

oldaolgeezer

Puppy Linux and IBM Thinkpad X41 tablet pc

#4 Post by oldaolgeezer »

Re: IBM Thinkpad X41 tablet pc:

I have been following a number of wacom digitizer discussions on this forum to try to get my IBM Thinkpad X41 tablet pc to be fully usable with its wacom stylus.

I also scanned a number of other web sites such as thinkwiki.com which concentrate on just IBM and Lenovo Thinkpad PCs and their wacom lcd.

I found all the information somewhat confusing because of the number of different wacom models over the years (2007 to 2014) and different kinds of interfaces (serial and USB) and kernel wacom issues with different versions of Puppy Linux (4.x and 5.x)

I finally concluded that the Thinkpad laptop's screen with its built-in wacom digitizer could made to work in one of the newer Puppy ISO's by downloading a wacon driver Puppy pet package and editing the file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf and then restarting the X server.

No longer needed were the older hints and parameters: /etc/udev/rules.d, "depmod", modprobe wacom_w8001,
"SendCoreEvents", USB, ttyS4, older Puppy ISO versions, etc.

We now can stand on the shoulders of giants (such as: Barry Kauler, Pizzasgood, don570 and charlie6)

Start by using the edit icon to "save as" a backup copy of the original file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf,

Still after a number of frustrating tries, I did not have a working stylus and digitizer after downloading a wacom driver pet and making a number of "tweaks" to the lines of code I added to the file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf !

The best debugging clues I had was to issue (in a terminal window): grep wacom /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and looking for error messages about wacom stuff.

Using the wrong wacom driver pet, resulted in a "can not execute wacom" error message in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.
And accidently omitting a quote in the Driver "wacom line, resulted in X refusing to restart which forced me to need to use xorgwizard (which rebuilt an original /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with none of my wacom edit lines at all ! )

So, what worked on my IBM Thinkpad X41 tablet pc running Puppy Slacko version 5.7 (and even on Slacko version 5.5):

First, checking my Puppy kernel version with System ==> hardinfo and then choosing: Operating System (Slacko 5.7 and Slacko 5.5 use the Linux 3.2 kernel version)

Then downloading and installing don570 and charlie6's matching slacko 3.2 "mod" wacom pet
(on: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=706243 )
named: xf86-input_k.3.2.33-slacko-wacom-mod-0.21.0.pet

don570 and charlie6 do the "heavy lifting" for us in slacko 3.2 "mod" wacom pet by installing /etc/udev/rules.d/65-wacom.rules
and adding the wacom paragraphs to the file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf very nicely.

However, when I restarted the x server on my IBM Thinkpad X41 tablet pc, my wacom stylus did nothing (the file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf is apparently modified for only USB connected wacom hardware)

I found the IBM Thinkpad X41 tablet pc needed a few different tweaks in four places to the modified file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf by commenting out (with the # in column one) each of the lines
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
and adding, just below each commented line, a new line
Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
and comment out (with the # in column one) the USB on lines
Option "USB" "on" .

Then saving the edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
(Save a second copy of the new /etc/X11/xorg.conf, in case xorgwizard ever has to be rerun as happened to me ! )

and then Shutdown ==> restart graphical server (I didn't have to reboot) and try the wacom stylus on the IBM Thinkpad X41 tablet pc screen.

I have also been able to use the same steps on a newer Lenovo Thinkpad X200 tablet pc running Puppy Slacko version 5.7