Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Oct 2014, 01:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to install Flash player in Chrome; other questions
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
outlawbikernyc

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan 2013, 06:50    Post subject:  How to install Flash player in Chrome; other questions
Subject description: Frugal USB Lucid

Hey... I am totally new to Linux. Finally decided to dive in because of all the cool things I know Linux is capable of, and to be honest, I miss the old DOS days....

One of my main issues is with the Adobe Flash Player. Even googling results does not come up with a solution. I am currently running Chrome which is supposed to have Flash Player already installed. It's not. Try to download a version from Adobe, and that doesn't work. Tried with Opera as well, get sent to same Adobe plug in page, which apparently has had problems in the past. Does anybody have a different solution, or a different link where I can get this plug in from?

Also, I am currently running Puppy Lucid from a thumbdrive on a lenovo netbook with the 1.6..... I am trying to work through a few tutorials, and some directories I am looking for don't exist, HOME being one of them. Is this because I am running off the thumbdrive? I am considering doing an install to my hd, but all the posts I see are pointing to the Frugal install. If i do the frugal install, could I upgrade to the full install?

Thanks for any and all help. It is much appreciated. I would be happy with answers to these two things for now. We're not EVEN going to get into the ulcer creating scenarios I am getting myself into with Conkys and CompViz, etc. (think it's time to learn a simple programming language haha)
simargl

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan 2013, 07:22    Post subject:  

Hi outlawbikernyc,
check in folder /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins for file libflashplayer.so. If it is there you probably missing some library from nss package, they come with firefox but also you can install them separately.

Last edited by simargl on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 06:15; edited 1 time in total
L18L

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan 2013, 09:03    Post subject: Re: HELP!!!!
Subject description: newbie needs help with a few things.....

outlawbikernyc wrote:
... I am trying to work through a few tutorials, and some directories I am looking for don't exist, HOME being one of them. Is this because I am running off the thumbdrive? I am considering doing an install to my hd, but all the posts I see are pointing to the Frugal install. If i do the frugal install, could I upgrade to the full install?...

Does not appear to be a puppy tutorial Idea

find puppy's HOME
Klick on Console, enter
Code:
echo $HOME
and press Enter key
This will show you HOME of your puppy Very Happy
puppy is different Wink

full install is not an upgrade of frugal install.
Stay with frugal, it is more flexible.
Full install is for low RAM boxes.

Welcome and have fun Smile
dk60902

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan 2013, 12:30    Post subject: Re: How to install Flash player in Chrome; other questions
Subject description: Frugal USB Lucid

outlawbikernyc wrote:
Hey... I am totally new to Linux. Finally decided to dive in because of all the cool things I know Linux is capable of, and to be honest, I miss the old DOS days....

One of my main issues is with the Adobe Flash Player. Even googling results does not come up with a solution. I am currently running Chrome which is supposed to have Flash Player already installed. It's not. Try to download a version from Adobe, and that doesn't work. Tried with Opera as well, get sent to same Adobe plug in page, which apparently has had problems in the past. Does anybody have a different solution, or a different link where I can get this plug in from?

Also, I am currently running Puppy Lucid from a thumbdrive on a lenovo netbook with the 1.6..... I am trying to work through a few tutorials, and some directories I am looking for don't exist, HOME being one of them. Is this because I am running off the thumbdrive? I am considering doing an install to my hd, but all the posts I see are pointing to the Frugal install. If i do the frugal install, could I upgrade to the full install?

Thanks for any and all help. It is much appreciated. I would be happy with answers to these two things for now. We're not EVEN going to get into the ulcer creating scenarios I am getting myself into with Conkys and CompViz, etc. (think it's time to learn a simple programming language haha)

There is a getflash .pet that is easy to install.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=272992303&t=74491

Also, there is a youtube tutorial that was recently uploaded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlNwV5OXgZA

For Firefox (or Aurora/Seamonky), you would extract the tar.gz into the subdirectory usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. I'm not on my Puppy computer, but you'd extract to the appropriate Chrome plugin folder.

I think, but am not certain, that the latest Precise Puppy 5.4.3 has flash already installed.

cacri

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan 2013, 19:34    Post subject: Flash player in Chrome browser  

Does your Chrome install properly renders You Tube content ?? (for me a proof of a working Flash install)...if not, you may try the following.

In your browser, go to the Google Chrome download page, proceed with a Linux download (32 bit deb). Once download complete, accept install. If succesfull, Chrome files have been installed in the /opt folder. Use the ROX file manager (or open a command screen and enjoy again the cd command) till you find a google-chrome file. Mouse drag that file to the desktop to make a link. Click on it once done....it will not work (the "will not run as root Chrome" issue) ...but in that error message box it will tell you what to do: run google-chrome with "--user-data-dir" as arguments. Edit the link and make the argument inclusion permanent. You may also configure the link to show the Chrome right icon. Now upon click Chrome runs...go to a Flash site such (You Tube??) and test it...in my case it reports Flash 11.1.102

You may replace the user-data-dir with a real directory so your config data gets stored somewhere.

Not a 100% sure it will address your situation, but it worked like a charm for me....please report!!
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: