Wireless 1Gbps on LAN will soon be available...cheaply

News, happenings
gcmartin

Wireless 1Gbps on LAN will soon be available...cheaply

#1 Post by gcmartin »

For past several years, 1Gb/s WIRED ethernet has routinely been available.

Wireless device speeds are not capable of that speed .... until tomorrow/soon!

IEEE has ratified a new Wireless ethernet spec clearing the way for wireless vendors. Expect the first out to MATCH the 1Gb wired ethernet speed.

Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 13 Jan 2013, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvander

Re: Wireless 1GB will soon be available...cheaply

#2 Post by Sylvander »

gcmartin wrote:1Gb WIRED ethernet...Wireless device speeds are not capable of that speed
Gb is a unit of QUANTITY, not speed or rate.
Don't you mean Gb/s?

gcmartin

Now have wireless FASTER THAN WIRED in your home!!!

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Linksys EA6000 series wireless exceeds the speed of your Gb/second LANs. They, as well as the AC1750/AC1600/AC1200. are in stores NOW.

Now, no wiring needed for Gigabit LANs.

Just think! (for instance, only yesterday, how many of us were even questioning 1Gb/s wired LAN devices. Now, we have come so far, so very quickly. WOW! :D )

For me, no more need for wired NAS to deliver quality signal video server to my Google TV. I.m sure you will be able to find benefits as well.

Here to help

Q5sys

#4 Post by Q5sys »

have you priced these units out? most of the ones ive seen have been double the cost of other wireless routers.
have you found a 'cheap' one?
considering gbit ethernet cards can be bought for 20$...
The Linksys EA6500 is 220$ for the router alone, and thats not going to do you much good with a laptop because they dont even make a adapter for a laptop. The highest LInksys USB adapter listed on their site is dual N which tops out at around 450mbit.
The dlink 802.11 ac usb adapter runs around 80$, and claims to be gigabit... but its USB2... so it cant use gbit speeds at all, its limited to 480mbit due to interface.

The only desktop adapter I know of that can operate at the full AC speed is the ASUS PCE-AC66 which utilizes a PCI card, and runs 100$.
So now your 'cheap' gbit network is 300$ compared to a 20$ card and a 10$ cable.

If you know or 'cheap' 802.11ac hardware... please let me know.