ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Scooby

#301 Post by Scooby »

mavrothal wrote: d) learn to patch :P
Yeah I want to learn, How is it done?

James C

#302 Post by James C »

mavrothal wrote: The builders can do as they please. It's all OSS.
After reading the claptrap in the last few pages of this thread I've lost all interest in this..........good luck to the builders. Open Source certainly is entertaining. :)

simargl

#303 Post by simargl »

DISTRO_ADRVSFS in DISTRO_SPECS will be named adrv-12.12.sfs, it will have all gui applications and window manager related stuff that are now in archpup-12.12.sfs. I will not add or remove any package, only will split them and plan to upload new iso tomorrow, it will have same version 12.12.2. What is important to mention is that adrv-12.12.sfs is mandatory, without it you will get kernel panic. archpup-12.12.sfs, adrv-12.12.sfs and vmlinuz will be signed with DISTRO_IDSTRING='1212ARCH09012013XXXXXXXXXXXX1234', I will edit build script to automatically add this.

yr1945

#304 Post by yr1945 »

@simargl, mavrothal, stifiling, oui, scooby, darkcity and everyone else participating in the development of ArchPup...

the OS is developing and evolving quite nicely...

i can now connect to my wireless network and even download applications via Pacman...

i have been learning things as you "guys" hammer out the issues...

Great Job... Thanks for your efforts and hard work... It is appreciated by many of us...

simargl

#305 Post by simargl »

Thanks yr1945, :) yes with help of archpup users it's getting better and better...

I made some changes in build script so it now works with adrv, for list of packages currently in adrv-12.12.sfs see https://bitbucket.org/simargl/archpup/r ... /arch-adrv. What else could I move from these two lists:arch-base, spkg-base?
btw adrv-12.12.sfs size is huuuge at 2.5MB :lol:

cinclus_cinclus

Kernel replacement

#306 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

@simargl
Thank you! But your hints left too much open.
simargl wrote:I'm not sure will it work with different glibc version and everything, but you can try. Copy
/initrd/pup_ro2,
?? I can't find such directory.
and replace /lib/modules/3.6.8 with that kernel version, and vmlinuz in home directory.
Sorry which directory do you mean exactly?
You must also make new initrd.gz, will add script used in original ArchPup, just change variables at beginning to fit you needs.
I used (from Precise 5.4.3) the kernel (3.2.29) and a new initrd generated with your script with /lib/modules/3.29 branch. I got some errors from depmod ...

Question:
which initrd must be used to be transformed with your script? I used the initrd from Puppy Precise 5.4.3. Is that correct?

Please look how far I came on booting:
Loading drivers needed to access disk drives..
Searching for ArchPup files pausing. pausing pausing pausing pausing pausing done
Loading personal file /archpup/archsave.2fs (sdc1)... done
Loading the 'archpup-1212.sfs' main file... copying to ram done
Setting up the layered filesystem... failed
Dumping last lines of /tmp/bootinit.log...
ls: /mnt/dev_save/archpup/*.sfs: No such file or directory mount: mounting /dev/loop4 on /pup_ro4 failed: No such device mount: mounting /dev/loop5 on /pup_ro5 failed: No such device mount: mounting unionfs on /pup_new failed: No such device Dumping last lines of kernel log...
<6>[ 53.455953] kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds <6>[ 53.4563449 EXT3-fs (sda9): using internal Journal <6>[ 53.456348] EXT3-fs (sda9): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode <4>[ 83.451265] EXT2-fs (loopl): warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended Pausing for 68 seconds...

stifiling

#307 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:without it you will get kernel panic.
I wonder what's causing that. that's defeating the whole purpose of splitting if they're 'really' still 1. but another package that should be moved to the adrv is pup-volume-monitor....it doesn't work with Dolphin file manager.

pup-volume-monitor
xorg-server
alsa
gdkpixbuf
pwireless
findutils
gtk2
gtkdialog
hicolor icon theme
wget
lxtask
unzip
Last edited by stifiling on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#308 Post by mavrothal »

simargl,
having 2 mandatory SFSs obviously makes little sense.
(I did verify BTW, using stifiling's files and removing the adrv, that the panic is not because of the new initrd.)

12.12 looks fine as an 80MB Arch-Puppy distro.
I do not know what is your plan and time availability but you may want to think which way to go and how to proceed for 1301, if a 130[1-9] is in the plan.

If it is, start with the basis. Kernel - udev. Some work is needed there.
Go on to your main iso size. Is it still going to be 80MB?
If yes, rather focus on usability/polishing (wireless, installation, internationalization, GUI for your sfs building scripts, version update infrastructure, etc) and forget adrv.
A 2MB adrv is an overhead that even picky users should be able to live with.
If no, go for a main sfs that will boot to console with net access and and some console based apps (pns-lools, links browser, mc etc).
The adrv that should have the rest plus archapps, to offer a good user experience in a ~150MB iso.
(you may want to try 128MB so will boot in 256MB machines, but with a 3.6+ kernel I wouldn't wary about that a lot).
Then go back to usability/polishing. :wink:

Having decide on that will probably stop the "claptrap" as JamesC said and focus back to actually using the os.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

simargl

#309 Post by simargl »

Sorry false alarm, ArchPup actually works without adrv sfs, something from save file was problem or I forgot to add ID_STRING, really don't remember.
Here is latest change in /etc/profile, so archpup will boot to console only if env variable WINDOW_MANAGER is not set.

Code: Select all

--- a/arch-tools/etc/profile	Fri Jan 11 00:05:21 2013 +0100
+++ b/arch-tools/etc/profile	Fri Jan 11 08:47:47 2013 +0100
@@ -32,8 +32,8 @@
 done
 unset profile

-if [ ! -f /usr/bin/X ]; then
-  echo "Sorry, cannot start X. Link /usr/bin/X missing."
+if [ -z "$WINDOW_MANAGER" ]; then
+  echo "Sorry, cannot start X. Environment variable WINDOW_MANAGER is not set."
 else
   exec archpupx
 fi
mavrothal: adrv will be there even if only 2 or 3 MB, because it will allow easy remasters with different DE, window managers, or in other languages. I will continue to make separate archapps with my prefered applications, so it will be there for those who wants to use it. Also I think that all hard work around adrv is done, it would be bad to throw that away. New version 13.** is not planned anytime soon, I want to first see those spectacular remasters. :wink:

stifiling

#310 Post by stifiling »

mavrothal wrote:If yes, rather focus on usability/polishing (wireless, installation, internationalization, GUI for your sfs building scripts, version update infrastructure, etc) and forget adrv.
A 2MB adrv is an overhead that even picky users should be able to live with.
i disagree. it makes little sense 'only' if kernel panicing is unable to be resolved. otherwise it makes HUGE sense, if your looking to appeal to more than just 'puppy linux' users. if you want to also appeal to ppl who use Arch Linux, Gentoo, or Linux From Scratch...it's necessary to not have Openbox, "Living" inside the distro.

as small as tinycore is, it still doesn't give the 'freedom' a picky user would like to have. it's near impossible to get rid of their hideous shutdown menu, and ugly default wallpaper.

it doesn't matter if the adrv is only 2MB.....the important part is not to save 2MB...it's to give the usr a barebones Archpup solution. to "pacman -S whatever they want". moving those 'possibly' unwanted apps to the adrv would make this exactly how the base Arch Linux comes. So:

using the adrv = comparable to Arch Linux/Arch Bang/Puppy Linux
not using the adrv = comparable to Arch Bang/Puppy Linux

If you happen to be the type to watch 'Linux Reviews' on youtube, ppl like SneekyLinux and IcyOS/PuppyLinuxWorld tend to do reviews on distros like Puppy Linux, Tiny Core, Arch Bang; and not Gentoo or Arch Linux. while ppl like Linux4UNMe and TWIL do reviews on distros like Gentoo and Arch Linux; and not Puppy Linux, Tiny Core or Arch Bang.

letting the numbers speak for themselves, TWIL and Linux4UNME (Gentoo/Arch Linux) has more youtube suscribers than PuppyLinuxWorld and SneekyLinux (Arch Bang/Puppy Linux).

If it's set up using the adrive, there's no reason to not get a review from all of them. it would fit all of their qualifications.

why leave an audience out...when there's a simple solution to also include them? Why target 80%, when u have a simple way to appeal to the whole 100? 80% is a lot....but it's a significant margin away from 100%. one's an A the other's a B. one's a 32 hr paycheck, the other's 40 hrs. and a 32 hr paycheck, looks a lot different than a 40 hr one does.
Last edited by stifiling on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 12:15, edited 4 times in total.

stifiling

#311 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:adrv will be there even if only 2 or 3 MB, because it will allow easy remasters with different DE, window managers, or in other languages.
i couldn't agree with this more. and this is what i've been yelling abt for so long now, and i'm happy that you also see the importance of it. Having come from Arch Linux yourself...it's necessary to do it this way to attract a wider scope of users.

Thanks for not 'forcing' sakura terminal on the users and giving them the option to 'choose'...without just hiding it.

same for alsa, user might want oss
same for xorg-server, user might want older version, or no X at all

the proprietary nvidia 96xx driver doesn't work with xorg-server, newer than version 1.10, this gives the option to downgrade it.

this gives the 'freedom' to pick 'everything'.

rameshiyer

LAN setup

#312 Post by rameshiyer »

How to set up internet connection through wired LAN. I wants to setup Static IP address. However, not found any option. One option found me that Pwireless setup. It has eth0 option. However, setting is not possible, even if it changed, the same is moving to DHCP and selecting random IP. Not configuring other parameters properly. Another thing is to change the clock time. Please help me.

stifiling

Re: LAN setup

#313 Post by stifiling »

rameshiyer wrote:Another thing is to change the clock time.
the way i've been setting the time is by adding:

Code: Select all

hwclock --localtime --hctosys &
as the first line in the '/root/.xinitrc' script. this should set the time, to your computer's bios time.

simargl

#314 Post by simargl »

New iso is uploading, I moved some more packages to adrv, biggest of them is faenza-icon-theme - adrv.sfs size is now 4.2 MB. xorg-server is in the main sfs, as downgrading it to version older than 1.10, would require recompiling xf86-video-* evdev input keyboard... drivers, and older versions also needed hal (not udev) for finding input devices. Anyone knowing how to do this will find removing xorg-server from archpup.sfs as trivial task.

stifiling

#315 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:New iso is uploading, I moved some more packages to adrv, biggest of them is faenza-icon-theme - adrv.sfs size is now 4.2 MB. xorg-server is in the main sfs, as downgrading it to version older than 1.10, would require recompiling xf86-video-* evdev input keyboard... drivers, and older versions also needed hal (not udev) for finding input devices. Anyone knowing how to do this will find removing xorg-server from archpup.sfs as trivial task.
understandable, but i myself downgrades the working xf86-video-* evdev binary pkg to go along with the older xorg-server. if i ever choose to use the proprietary nvidia 96xx driver on this machine...which i rarely ever do.

rameshiyer

Arch Puppy

#316 Post by rameshiyer »

Dear Stifiling

Thank you very much. As suggested by you , I have solved the clock problem. Now I am getting time from BIOS. Thanks once again.. How to change clock from 24 hours to 12 hours.

simargl

#317 Post by simargl »

Firefox (ver 17.0.1) in archapps is now outdated, and because it's hard to maintain with its frequent updates my plan is to switch to ESR (Extended Support Release). See ESR overview here http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/. I will add ESR-17.0.2 that will recieve security updates until firefox 19. Also will compile transmission to use qt for user interface, as in latest versions support for gtk2 is removed.

darkcity

Re: Arch Puppy

#318 Post by darkcity »

rameshiyer wrote:Dear Stifiling

Thank you very much. As suggested by you , I have solved the clock problem. Now I am getting time from BIOS. Thanks once again.. How to change clock from 24 hours to 12 hours.
Hi rameshiyer,

It looks like the time format hwclock returns is tied to a locale setting-
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ost2827245

did you solved the Wired LAN problem. Have you tried the commandline pns-tool? It could be some firmwire file is missing?

---
@stifiling I agree with your approach to making archpup as flexible as possible. However, simply stating number of users or youtube views doesnt mean anything - if it did Windows would be the best OS.

nooby

#319 Post by nooby »

Place holder for report how it behaves on an three years old
HP Compaq Desktop cheapest 64bitmdodel. I get back
if I managed to load it.
Any suggestion what boot code to load the Arch sfs
with the Firefox at boot? I use grup4dos menulist

Iuse this for lupu would that work for archpup too?

Edit from within ArchPup but have not tested things other
than rebooting creating savefile and doing load sfs of firefox
the clock had two hours wrong time first but then some script
without me telling it too seem to have looked in my HWclock something.

Haha most likely one don\t need both rootnoverify (hd0,0)
and (hd0,0) everywhere. I am too hasty not thinking things through.

title archpup
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/archpup/vmlinuz PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=sda1 psubdir=archpup pfix=fsck
initrd (hd0,0)/archpup/initrd.gz

So what am I supposed to test what is important to know?
Haha I must tell it to do Swedish keyboard how does one do that?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Arefacti

frenchy, froggies, français quoi !

#320 Post by Arefacti »

Hello,

I installed in frugal install Archpup next to my puppy (the metropuppy) on my Compaq Presario 2100 528MB ram.

I had a previous experience Archlinux and a great keepsake of this distribution in reinforced concrete, very educational and pacman (or yaourt) hyper efficient.
it works fine, I even wifi with my PCMCIA D-link card !

Thank you for this great job: hold good: just seen too new and Puppy disappear, not that one please.

Question: are there in the forum of French speaking people in order to help people like me for this distribution?

Example: Backups: I do NOT understand! : oops:

Well, thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonjour,

j'ai installé en frugal la Archpup à côté de ma puppy (la metropuppy), sur mon compaq Presario 2100 528 Mo de ram.

j'avais une expérience passée de Archlinux et un souvenir formidable de cette distribution en béton armé, très pédagogique et son pacman (ou yaourt) hyper performant.
elle fonctionne bien, j'ai même le wifi avec une carte pcmia D-link !

Merci pour ce travail formidable : tiens bon : enfin du neuf et on voit trop de Puppy disparaître, pas celle-là s'il te plaît.

Question : y a t'il dans le forum des personnes parlant le Français afin de pouvoir aider les gens comme moi pour cette distribution ?

Exemple : les sauvegardes : je n'ai RIEN compris ! :oops:

Voilà, merci.