Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nooby

#881 Post by nooby »

Guys I am the most lazy tester of OS on this forum.
Month after month or is it a year and I still ahve not
tried to learn the Subito way of doing things.

He has an account at GitHub and I have no idea what that is
but others maybe can explain. there is something about his
way of doing things that makes me very interested but
I am not on that level so I fail to use his stuff. That is life
as we say :)

https://github.com/iguleder/roar-ng-ii
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75753

So would be happy if somebody retold if you have used
subito and how on earth one use the "windows" in it.

Yes I know a friendly soul did tell me some details in PM
but I failed to get that good advice too.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Colonel Panic

#882 Post by Colonel Panic »

Using PCLinuxOS (KDE version) at the moment. My first attempt at installing it failed but (an admittedly drastic step) it worked once I'd allowed the installer to delete the previous partitions on the drive and start from scratch.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Bligh

#883 Post by Bligh »

Pclinux has been a solid os for me since 2007, although later releases seem to be slower. I usually install a linux os on a small 1st partition(20 gb) then a Puppy save file on a larger 2nd data partition.
Cheers

Fabio T

#884 Post by Fabio T »

For now I am testing Peppermint full install.

Iguleder

#885 Post by Iguleder »

nooby wrote:He has an account at GitHub and I have no idea what that is
but others maybe can explain. there is something about his
way of doing things that makes me very interested but
I am not on that level so I fail to use his stuff. That is life
as we say :)

https://github.com/iguleder/roar-ng-ii
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75753
:D

My Raspberry Pi should arrive this week - I want to move the development from GitHub to it, then set up a website and a wiki maybe, then publish the distro. Don't worry, everything will be documented :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

nooby

#886 Post by nooby »

That is good but I want to use the Subito
because I find it interesting but I am too stupid
to get the odd "windows manager" MC or what the name is.
So I want to know more about that subito thing for ordinary computer :)

Sure it is cool that you care about the super small boards with
ARM that is interesting too They have a new RPi model with
512MB RAM instead of 128MB. And some other change
maybe the power supply or something.

I wish it had regular VGA port output to screen instead of
the very modern HDMI. onl yrich people can buy such screens
and the TV is far away in the living room and kids want to see
tehir children program on it and not dad using it for his boring computing :)

nitehawk

#887 Post by nitehawk »

Debian.
I just went back and re-installed plain ol' vanilla stable Debian on my main computer. Yeah,...I know I ranted about having to get ooooodles of those DVDs. I still hate that, mind you. But honestly,...I can't for the life of me find another distro that is quite so "workable" and adaptable, for my needs and wants.

I mean,...Squeeze comes on 8 DVDs now,...and Wheezy (I have heard) will come out on ELEVEN!!!! But you have your hands on an almost complete repository when you have them. With that,...you can pretty much mix and match,...and build your own OS the way you want it. It can be a gaming center,..(for the kids or grandkids),...or anything else you may want it to be. I always go "slim-and-trim" with a small desktop environment,...without too many "bells and whistles". Bunches of games and educational stuff for the grandkids. Photo apps for me.

Puppy linux does everything else for me,....(it's my "Swiss army knife"). Couldn't do without a Puppy.

01micko

#888 Post by 01micko »

Slackware 14,0 (arm version) running on the Raspberry Pi.

I'm surprised how well it runs, Firefox-17.0.1 and all, xfce desktop.

Hmm.. could I get this to fit the puppy mould? Who knows?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

nooby

#889 Post by nooby »

What kind of SD card do you need for that one to work then?
How much of the RAM does it need playing a youtube video?

nitehawk

#890 Post by nitehawk »

Whoa!
That Mayan calendar would look terrific with a Puppy logo in the middle of it,....wouldn't it?

Bligh

#891 Post by Bligh »

I just bought a new hdd and installed Pclinux full monty to the 1st os partition, and have several Puppies on the 2nd data partition. I haven't completely let go if my Vector Classic hdd also with several Puppies on the data partition. I can still boot most any live dist. cd/dvd to check it out.
Cheers.

Colonel Panic

#892 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:Debian.
I just went back and re-installed plain ol' vanilla stable Debian on my main computer. Yeah,...I know I ranted about having to get ooooodles of those DVDs. I still hate that, mind you. But honestly,...I can't for the life of me find another distro that is quite so "workable" and adaptable, for my needs and wants.

I mean,...Squeeze comes on 8 DVDs now,...and Wheezy (I have heard) will come out on ELEVEN!!!! But you have your hands on an almost complete repository when you have them. With that,...you can pretty much mix and match,...and build your own OS the way you want it. It can be a gaming center,..(for the kids or grandkids),...or anything else you may want it to be. I always go "slim-and-trim" with a small desktop environment,...without too many "bells and whistles". Bunches of games and educational stuff for the grandkids. Photo apps for me.

Puppy linux does everything else for me,....(it's my "Swiss army knife"). Couldn't do without a Puppy.
Hi nitehawk,

Me neither, Puppy's got pretty much everything you could want in a small space. I'm posting this from PuppEX, a Swedish Slacko-based Pup which I think is very underrated, but I like Carolina as well; it's based on Saluki but has a wider range of apps including Libre Office and Flash works right out of the box.

I've just installed Vector 7.0 Light, and so far I'm quite pleased with it. It's got a good range of apps for a smallish distro and Flash works straight out of the box (which is a rarity for a Slack-based distro).

I'm going to persevere with Debian this year; I still don't like the fact that it makes it so difficult for you to do any system-based stuff though (I wasn't even able to copy files off a CD-R in one Debian-based distro I tried last year!). Sometimes I've had login problems with Debian-based distros too, and antiX and Swift in particular. However, Solus 1.3 should be out soon and I'm looking forward to that one.

That aside, I don't intend to be testing out so many distros in 2013. It takes up too much time to set everything up the way I want it each time, and (I don't know what other people think of this) tbh there are too many duff ones as well these days.

I don't know why, but the quality of new Linux releases seems to be getting worse. Maybe there are more things to go wrong in a Linux distro in 2013 compared to, say, 2003, but whatever the reason it's far more common that it should be for a new install to fail (ArchBang last year), the network connection to go down so I have to reactivate it manually every time I log on (as I did even with Scientific, for example), or to not be able to log in (AntiX and Swift), etc.

Rant over. Happy New Year everyone and unlike me over Christmas stay clear of the 'flu (at least I'm getting better now).
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nooby

#893 Post by nooby »

I need help with this question

Is it possible to boot a Knoppix live disc
without mounting the local hard disk?

Do you know it from your own experience
can you explain how one do it?

Would Puppy automatically mount every HD?
I don't think it does what about Knoppix?
Does it differ which versions one use
or Cheat code used? Maybe there is a
Cheat code that make to not mount?

No I will not join their forum to ask this question
they don't like my kind of confusing question there .

I've read others getting very condescending answers
when they did not live up to the RTFM types.

nitehawk

#894 Post by nitehawk »

Well,..
I actually got almost ALL of the games my grandson could ever want,...off of the Lenny and Squeeze DVDs. Got them all installed on that tiny 20 Gig hard drive.

So when he comes for a visit,...I can now just switch out my 160G hd for the little game-loaded 20G hd.

Whoot! That means I really don't ever need to consider spending $$$ for all those Debian DVDs again.

My daughter has the high speed internet stuff,....so whenever I'm there, I can quickly download a Puppy onto my flash drive. (Oh, fun, fun!) Now I'm trying out the newest Macpup,...and am really liking it. However, I seem to prefer just using the jwm desktop, instead of E17. And I had forgotten how nice Quirky was (so I'm trying that again, as well).

I need to get myself another partition going somewhere on one of my old computers,....to re-install the nice old classic Puppy 431, as well.
(So many Puppys,....so little time)... :lol:

bark_bark_bark

#895 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Posting from Slackware 14.0 (x86) right now. I installed it on my netbook. The netbook's screen is only 1024x600, so I connected a 15" LCD Dell monitor I had and it displays 1024x768 and I disabled the netbook's screen, so running with it's lid closed. I have connected to it a USB Keyboard & Mouse I had. Running XFCE. Then I had my 8GB USB Drive (from Christmas) and a 16GB MicroSD chip (for my tablet) plugged in. I've compiled 2 packages (through SlackBuilds.org) and put them on a USB drive.

EDIT: the netbook has a SD Card reader so I used a MicroSD to SD adapter.

puppy_apprentice

#896 Post by puppy_apprentice »

nooby wrote:I need help with this question

Is it possible to boot a Knoppix live disc
without mounting the local hard disk?
try this:

Code: Select all

knoppix nofstab
nofstab
By default Knoppix will look/scan the HDs to see if it contains partitions. If the HDs do have partitions, Knoppix will automatically build a '/etc/fstab' file and fill-in the appropriate partition entries and will also create the '/mnt/hdxx' mount points. The 'nofstab' cheat code prevents this look/scan and prevents the generation of the /etc/fstab and its mount points.

more there:
Cheat Codes

nooby

#897 Post by nooby »

Much appreciated that sounds what is needed indeed.

ICPUG

#898 Post by ICPUG »

won't nofstab leave it in a state where you cannot do anything with the drives? They are not just unmounted - they are unavailable to mount at a later time should you desire until you go through the process manually. I don't know - I am asking.

nooby

#899 Post by nooby »

Oops that is a very important question.
if that is true then I have given wrong suggestion
to that guy that asked me in another forum.

I told him to join the Knoppix forum.
i trust them would know?

I will not join there only to get riduculed by one of the angry Mods.

I am still upset about how that Mod treated a friendly newbie
that asked about iso booting of Knoppix.

nooby

#900 Post by nooby »

I tested archpup today but I am not so good at setting up things
but it works good on my Desktop HP/Compaq

I had to use setxkbmap se to get swedish keyboard.
the ARCHwiki suggest another thing which did not work.

To get firefox one use the sfs that have FF and Flash built in.