Questions: Precise .pets, Package manager, Multimedia keys

Using applications, configuring, problems
toomanyquestions

Questions: Precise .pets, Package manager, Multimedia keys

#1 Post by toomanyquestions »

After exploring a little (e.g. http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/), I have a few questions -

1) Can I use Lucid .pets on Precise?

2) It seems I can use any .deb (awesome!!), however I've found the puppy package manager mysterious (I'm used to synaptic) - is there a link that will walk me through it's usage (particularly adding the Precise main, universe, x, repos)?

3) Third, E17 (I'm using Macpup) doesn't seem to recognize my multimedia keys...How do I map them?

Thanks much -

capicoso

#2 Post by capicoso »

1) Yes you can use lucid pets on precise, or even 4.3. But when a program is compiled on certain platform, it may not work well on other. But all of the pets i tested from lucid, 4.3 worked fine.
2) I think it's easier than synaptic. You go to configure and on your right you have the repos. In my case i'm using slacko 5.4 and i activate puppy-noarch(here you have pets for puppies no matter the arch, like the langpacks). Slackware14 oficial, slackware10salix, slackware10slacky,puppy slacko14. In your case you'd have to tick ubuntu-universe, multiverse, main, precise, noarch. You can have up to five. Then close the ppm and open again. When you search for packets, it doesn't matter if you're on desktop, multimedia or anything, it searchs in all categories. What you can choose is where you want to look for the packets, you can choose from all repositories or just one. IF the programs needs dependencies, you'll have to click examine dependencies, it'll search and it'll show you all the dependencies, you can just download them and not install, or just click download and install packets, and it'll do everything. To remove a packet in the right, bottom corner, there is a list with the installed packets, just click on the packets you want to uninstall. You have to uninstall one by one.

3) I don't use E17, but you can use sven. I think the links are down atm, so i upload it here. It's a program that allows you to map the keys. I DONT remember if it shows you the code of the keys. If you want to know which code is each key, you have to download this http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=12635 . You extract it, run xev, and a tiny window will open and also a console, that tiny window must be the main. Then when you type any key the console will show you the code for that key, ie my volume keys, if i remember well, are 179 178 176.
Sven even has a plugin that shows you a little bar showing the volume amplitude when you press the keys. I think that plugin, maps them automatically

toomanyquestions

Puppy file manager

#3 Post by toomanyquestions »

capicoso wrote: I think it's easier than synaptic. You go to configure and on your right you have the repos.
After finally noticing "choose only five repos" I was on my way :)

Should I worry about the missing libraries etc - or only if the program fails?
Attachments
missing.png
(30.16 KiB) Downloaded 1017 times

toomanyquestions

#4 Post by toomanyquestions »

capicoso wrote:1) Yes you can use lucid pets on precise, or even 4.3. But when a program is compiled on certain platform, it may not work well on other. But all of the pets i tested from lucid, 4.3 worked fine.
Apparently the missing files I noted above were deal breakers. Hence I've been looking for a libreoffice .pet for Precise / Lucid to no avail. Perhaps there are download locations I've missed?

I'm assuming this won't work since it's slackware compatible -> http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/pupp ... -3.5.2.pet ?

Does puppy have a utility that will install multiple .debs at once? I ask because I noticed that the official (from site) LibreOffice package extracts to a folder full of .debs. The thought of installing each was, shall we say, not encouraging.

Should I just be looking for an .sfs...?
Last edited by toomanyquestions on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.

capicoso

Re: Puppy file manager

#5 Post by capicoso »

toomanyquestions wrote:
capicoso wrote: I think it's easier than synaptic. You go to configure and on your right you have the repos.
After finally noticing "choose only five repos" I was on my way :)

Should I worry about the missing libraries etc - or only if the program fails?
Hmm, i would worry but, i never had a problem. Also, i don't know if it's bugged, but i think there you have 3 o 4 libs, but they're repeated.
Anyways, it looks like you installed gimp. I don't know if you're new to puppy but always try to see if a .pet or .sfs version had been done for it. Sfs are great, and they were compiled for puppy. It's not that ubuntu packets won't work or won't work correctly, but a .pet or .sfs will be better. I dont remember if precise puppy has a sfs package list builtin(slacko does), if not you have to search within the forum. Programs like libreoffice, gimp, googlearth, vlc, kdenlive, etc(big programs) have a .sfs. Gimp for example http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61584 . Do you know the pros about .sfs packets? Or how to load them?

edit: I also have a precise 5.4 somewhere, and i think i used this libreoffice sfs http://smokey01.com/saluki/sfs/LibreOff ... n_us-2.sfs

If the maker of the sfs/pet says that he compiled it just for slacko, then i doubt it'll work on other puppies, but others try to make them work on all versions

Well you can download .debs and click all of them at once eheh. I installed cinelerra from a ppa this way

toomanyquestions

#6 Post by toomanyquestions »

Do you know the pros about .sfs packets? Or how to load them?

Well you can download .debs and click all of them at once eheh. I installed cinelerra from a ppa this way
Yes, I am very new to puppy (I can count in hours...;) I don't know the pros/cons of sfs & I'd love to know. GIMP seemed to work (used it to tighten the screenshot)...

capicoso

#7 Post by capicoso »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Do you know the pros about .sfs packets? Or how to load them?

Yes, I am very new to puppy (I can count in hours...;) I don't know the pros/cons of sfs & I'd love to know. GIMP seemed to work (used it to tighten the screenshot)...
Here you go. http://puppylinux.org/wikka/squashfs . It's very useful in a frugal install(which is the strong point of puppy plus many more). You know, your savefile has a limit of 1g 2gb or whatever the space you assigned to it. Sfs get loaded but they don't get installed. They don't consume puppy space. If you break something with that program, you just unload it. All the dependencies are included. There are huge sfs like compiz, xfce, kde, QT4.8, etc. So you can have a whole desktop on a sfs, if it doesn't work or it breaks something, just unload it...

toomanyquestions

Re: .sfs

#8 Post by toomanyquestions »

capicoso wrote: If you break something with that program, you just unload it. All the dependencies are included.....So you can have a whole desktop on a sfs, if it doesn't work or it breaks something, just unload it...
I think I'll try a Lucid .sfs & see how it works (I've had success using LibreO .sfs in live mode). Perhaps I'll gain the courage (or stupidity) to do all the Libre .debs one by one... :)

capicoso

#9 Post by capicoso »

toomanyquestions wrote:
capicoso wrote: If you break something with that program, you just unload it. All the dependencies are included.....So you can have a whole desktop on a sfs, if it doesn't work or it breaks something, just unload it...
I think I'll try a Lucid .sfs & see how it works (I've had success using LibreO .sfs in live mode). Perhaps I'll gain the courage (or stupidity) to do all the Libre .debs one by one... :)
Why would you do that? If the .sfs worked then you don't need anything else!

toomanyquestions

#10 Post by toomanyquestions »

capicoso wrote:Why would you do that?

Well it seems to work so I probably won't - I'm clinging to commonsense. :D

BTW, do you know how to acquire the commands retrovol executes when you click up/down/mute (uncheck) in the gui?

capicoso

#11 Post by capicoso »

toomanyquestions wrote:
capicoso wrote:Why would you do that?

Well it seems to work so I probably won't - I'm clinging to commonsense. :D

BTW, do you know how to acquire the commands retrovol executes when you click up/down/mute (uncheck) in the gui?
Hmm i use alsamixer command, it works.
alsamixer sset Master 0 will mute it
alsamixer sset Master +1 will add 1% volume
alsamixer sset Master -1 will lower 1% volume

The sven pet with the plugins come with a tool that already does this, maps automatically the volume keys, and add a graph bar indicating the %

toomanyquestions

Sound & .sfs Libre Office

#12 Post by toomanyquestions »

capicoso wrote:The sven pet with the plugins come with a tool that already does this, maps automatically the volume keys, and add a graph bar indicating the %
It turns out that one only needs to have the volume icon loaded on the shelf, then the shortcut keys work like a charm.

Is there a way to make sfs/Libre Office show up in the Default Applications Chooser? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I ask because it's inconvenient to load a blank LO doc & than manually open the doc of my choice (Libre shows up in my system menu, but not the what-do-you-want-to open-it-with menu).

capicoso

Re: Sound & .sfs Libre Office

#13 Post by capicoso »

toomanyquestions wrote:
capicoso wrote:The sven pet with the plugins come with a tool that already does this, maps automatically the volume keys, and add a graph bar indicating the %
It turns out that one only needs to have the volume icon loaded on the shelf, then the shortcut keys work like a charm.

Is there a way to make sfs/Libre Office show up in the Default Applications Chooser? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I ask because it's inconvenient to load a blank LO doc & than manually open the doc of my choice (Libre shows up in my system menu, but not the what-do-you-want-to open-it-with menu).
You have to right click on a txt or whatever format you want to open with libreoffice and you have two options. Define what to execute and there you'll have the default executable for that type of file, ie in a .png it says imagedefaultviewer. If you want to open it with libreoffice you have to type the libreoffice command, check on /usr/bin or type libreo in terminal and press tab so the whole command shows up. And type that in the box. The other one is right click and open with, a menu will show up but i wont show libreoffice command, so go down to personalize. A menu will explain you then. You have to make a symlink to the libreoffice command.

Rox is nice, but i prefer Qtfm or XFEfm.

toomanyquestions

Re: Sound & .sfs Libre Office

#14 Post by toomanyquestions »

capicoso wrote: Rox is nice, but i prefer Qtfm or XFEfm.
Wish I'd read your walk-through before I played w/.debs... More to the point, Is it possible to dual fm? Are Qtfm or XFEfm pretty user friendly? I'm used to fairly traditional ones - pcmanfm, thunar, etc.

`f00

#15 Post by `f00 »

Traditionally xfe is my first add-on to any pup, it's that user-friendly ;)

Every fm has a niche, like text editors and other apps - absolutely you can use whatever suits your needs and prefs.

toomanyquestions

Can I dual FM?

#16 Post by toomanyquestions »

`f00 wrote:Traditionally xfe is my first add-on to any pup... .
Is it possible to dual FM or must I install xfe, uninstall ROX, and reboot?

capicoso

Re: Can I dual FM?

#17 Post by capicoso »

toomanyquestions wrote:
`f00 wrote:Traditionally xfe is my first add-on to any pup... .
Is it possible to dual FM or must I install xfe, uninstall ROX, and reboot?
i THINK i tried pcmanfm but no luck.. Didn't try thunar either on puppy. XFE is very similar to thunar or any other. It can even have more panels/trees. The interface is costumizable, etc.
Qtfm has very fewer options, but the few options it has are just what i need, and what is better than xfe is that is more lightweight.
Yes you can dual fm. You shouldn't uninstall rox.
I think that the important thing is that XFE or Qtfm or whatever, must/should especially made for puppy. If you install nautilus for example from ubuntu repos, it may load your pc of crap.
I'm not on my puppy with xfe right now, BUT i think i installed it from here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=382962 .
And also there's a NLS package if you need other languages.
And here is qtfm http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 38b0b5bfc7 you need to download QT sfs too.
When you install it'll be added to menu-filesystem. But it'll not be default. Like, when you press the drives icons on the desktop it'll show ROx first. So to mount units you would need to open rox(or pmount) and then xfe.
There's a way though. I didn't like the idea of opening two FMs just to mount and use drives. I asked for help here but got mixed solutions(nobody really wanted XFE to open the drives by default). So messing around i came out with a solution. If you want it ask me and i go to my other puppy and check.

edit: Ah the nice thing i liked about qtfm is that it automatically creates shortcuts of the drives on the left tree, with drives icons and all. So you don't have to go to /mnt/sdxx

toomanyquestions

#18 Post by toomanyquestions »

capicoso wrote: XFE is very similar to thunar or any other. It can even have more panels/trees. The interface is costumizable, etc. Qtfm has fewer options, but the few options it has are just what i need...
XFE vs. Qtfm - are we talking about a substantial difference in resource usage? It sounds like you use XFE but have soft spot for Qtfm? All else aside, my decision probably hinges on CPU/Ram.
capicoso wrote:Ah the nice thing i liked about qtfm is that it automatically creates shortcuts of the drives on the left tree
That does sound nice. Is it fairly easy to create said shortcuts w/XEF (drag & drop folders from /mnt)?
capicoso wrote: I didn't like the idea of opening two FMs just to mount and use drives...I came out with a solution. If you want it ask me and i go to my other puppy and check.
I wouldn't either. But since I'm using Macpup (Enlightenment), I may be able to pick a default fm with Settings > Settings Panel. I'll get back to you on that front if I'm unsuccessful :)

Thanks so much for the help -

capicoso

#19 Post by capicoso »

toomanyquestions wrote:
capicoso wrote: XFE is very similar to thunar or any other. It can even have more panels/trees. The interface is costumizable, etc. Qtfm has fewer options, but the few options it has are just what i need...
XFE vs. Qtfm - are we talking about a substantial difference in resource usage? It sounds like you use XFE but have soft spot for Qtfm? All else aside, my decision probably hinges on CPU/Ram.
capicoso wrote:Ah the nice thing i liked about qtfm is that it automatically creates shortcuts of the drives on the left tree
That does sound nice. Is it fairly easy to create said shortcuts w/XEF (drag & drop folders from /mnt)?
capicoso wrote: I didn't like the idea of opening two FMs just to mount and use drives...I came out with a solution. If you want it ask me and i go to my other puppy and check.
I wouldn't either. But since I'm using Macpup (Enlightenment), I may be able to pick a default fm with Settings > Settings Panel. I'll get back to you on that front if I'm unsuccessful :)

Thanks so much for the help -
Both XFE and QTfm are lightweight. I didn't check how much ram each one consumes. But on slacko with compiz and all, qtfm opens really fast, on precise XFE takes a bit longer. Also, QTfm looks prettier(though i'm not a fan of eyecandy things) it's nice. It reminds me of pcmanfm from LXDE, lightweight but pretty enough. XFE looks more like w98 explorer. I really like it tho. Especially the 2 panel thing. Both have an "open terminal here" command, that's always handy.

I didn't try to make shortcuts to the tree on XFE, i just got used to /mnt. I forgot about those shorcuts until i used qtfm last week :p .

No problem!

tallboy

#20 Post by tallboy »

Is the list of packages in 'puppy-noarch' in the Slacko 5.4 ppm built by the ppm, or do the packages exist in a repository somewhere, or on a list somewhere?

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.