Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 17:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Creative Zen MP3 player not seen by any Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Indy452

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan 2013, 11:12    Post_subject:  Creative Zen MP3 player not seen by any Puppy  

Slacko puppy or Wary or any other Linux OS for that matter, does not see my Creative Zen "sleek" photo/mp3 player when I plug it in.

I would really like to mount it like all the other mp3 players I have but for some reason this one isn't seen. I assume it has something to do with MTP support or something? I don't really know much about that but would like some help getting it to be seen so I can move files around in it.

Anybody have any tips for me to use? Generally Puppy sees anything I throw at it but this time...nada.

Thanks..
postfs1

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan 2013, 11:58    Post_subject:  

Arrow http://klungvik.com/computer-related-stuff/linux/

Quote:

Arrow http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=20891845
Information about the Internet page: Copyright © 2013 SourceForge. All Rights Reserved.

Perhaps in Linux OS GPhoto gives the similar output.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan 2013, 12:39    Post_subject:  

Indy452, have you tried Menu -> Graphic -> Gtkam camera manager to see if it will see the camera?
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan 2013, 14:13    Post_subject:  

The web suggests that thing relies on libnjb, with possibly Gnomad2 as the frontend. Pup-land must have a simplified gui..
Indy452

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan 2013, 16:49    Post_subject:  

Its not a camera....its a mp3 player that will hold/display photos....basically like any other mp3 player now days.....I really don't know why its called sleek photo....I use it for music and I like the way it performs but its a bitch to get working on anything other than MS products.
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan 2013, 16:55    Post_subject:  

You should be able to install the appropriate, Pup specific lib from pkgs.org. Then all you need is a frontend..
Makoto

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan 2013, 17:38    Post_subject:  

gnomad/2 will probably work. Use this search to search the forums for gnomad and builds compiled for your setup. technosaurus may also be a good person to consult about it. Smile

Also, you might check this page to see if your player is supported by gnomad 2:
http://gnomad2.sourceforge.net/

tempestuous

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan 2013, 21:28    Post_subject:  

Gnomad2 v2.9.6 -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=21961
This package was compiled to be compatible with Puppy Lucid - the latest version of this Puppy series is v5.2.8
But it might (?) also work in Slacko.

Indy452 wrote:
I assume it has something to do with MTP support or something?

Not in your case. For Creative products, the compatibility issue relates to the "PDE" protocol. Gnomad2 uses the libnjb library to communicate with this protocol.

"MTP" is another unique communication protocol, and yes, Gnomad supports this, too. Typical examples of MTP devices are by iRiver, SanDisk and Sony.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan 2013, 22:29    Post_subject:  

For what it's worth, the Gnomad2 2.9.2 .pet seems to work fine in Puppy Precise. Though I have apparently somehow borked my iRiver Lplayer so badly that only Gparted can even see it, and even Gparted can't do anything with it. It never worked. Maybe it was defective. Crying or Very sad
pemasu

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan 2013, 04:26    Post_subject:  

I used gnomad2 from PPM (ubuntu .debs) in Precise Puppy. Worked fine. Gnomad2 seems to be about only ready app to communicate with Creative Zen player.

Windows 7 didnt have working application for it and Creative dont have updates past Windows XP - Vista. My son has windows os and I had the old (2006) windows software cd from Creative to try.

So....Precise Puppy and gnomad2 did the trick.
Makoto

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan 2013, 04:41    Post_subject:  

Yeah... a while back, I had to hunt down an XP system and then downgrade Windows Media Player on it, just so I could update the firmware on my old Zen Xtra. Embarassed

Never did see if I could get it working with gnomad/2 and Puppy - though I'm still using Puppy 4.3.1, so it doesn't count Razz - but I've long since filled the thing to capacity and have no intent to change anything on it, so... Mr. Green

sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan 2013, 08:53    Post_subject: Re: Creative Zen MP3 player not seen by any Puppy  

(portions snipped)
Indy452 wrote:
Slacko puppy or Wary or any other Linux OS for that matter, does not see my Creative Zen "sleek" photo/mp3 player when I plug it in.

I would really like to mount it like all the other mp3 players I have but for some reason this one isn't seen. I assume it has something to do with MTP support or something?

At http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=83635, it says the Zen sleek has MSC protocol, which means it should be seen as a storage device; in linux, something like /dev/sdb or /dev/sdb1

So on the Zen sleek, is there a way to change it from MTP to MSC?
I now remember (I hope correctly) that I had to do that on the Clip+ , even with the original firmware, for Linux to see the player.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum