TP-LINK Wireless N USB Adapt- Howtoconnect[Solved by pemasu]

tytower

#21 Post by tytower »

This one after I have tried to connect the wireless wlan0
(file deleted later for security, message me if you want it)
Last edited by tytower on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 20:56, edited 2 times in total.

pemasu

#22 Post by pemasu »

It loads rtl8192cu.ko driver, loads firmware, but does not connect.

I noticed several same kind bug reports when searching net. It can be that the version of rtl8192cu.ko in 3.2.29 kernel just does not work for you.

The solution to those other people have been to use realtek proprietary driver.

I compiled the 8192cu.ko driver. Installl the pet. The pinstall.sh script inside the pet unloads rtl8192cu.ko driver, loads 8192cu.ko driver instead and also it has MODULESCONFIG file edited so that it gives preference of 8192cu.ko over rtl8192cu.ko driver.

Please give feedback did this proprietary driver work better.

And please, use SNS for wireless connection first.

tytower

#23 Post by tytower »

pemasu wrote: Please give feedback did this proprietary driver work better.
No it did not work better - it worked brilliantly !
Thank you ever so much
I have had a cable running through my house for about two months over Christmas when everybody tripped on it

Such a relief to get this working.
I hope you and yours have a magic 2013

pemasu

#24 Post by pemasu »

Thank you of the positive feedback. I hope other Precise Puppy users find this post also if they have problems with rtl8192cu driver. It looks like that driver is not mature enough in 3.2.29 kernel.

tytower

#25 Post by tytower »

I tried installing the pet in Puppy 5.3.1 It did not work
I tried another adaptor in Puppy 5.4.2 that I am using now -A Digitech 802.11N and it also connected without problem . I am using it connected now.

Some weeks earlier with the manufacturers disk I attempted a few times to compile the driver from those files supplied for Linux . It was meant for Ubuntu and parts of the code had "sudu" etc in it but when attempting to compile from the drivers Makefile it came up with errors relating to a "build" folder in lib.

Code: Select all

make
make ARCH=i386 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/3.2.29/build M=/initrd/mnt/dev_save/TempStore/WirelessDrivers/RTL8188C_8192C_8192D_USB_linux_v3.3.2_3192.20120103/driver/rtl8188C_8192C_8192D_usb_linux_v3.3.2_3192.20120103  modules
make: *** /lib/modules/3.2.29/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [modules] Error 2
I'm wondering how I might alter this to make it run. I thought to create a build folder but that did not work so I got no further.

I sort of assumed then that directory might be in Ubuntu but is removed in Puppy

I have the file if anyone needs it and if I can upload it

pemasu

#26 Post by pemasu »

It looks like you have not loaded kernel source sfs. You need devx sfs and kernel source sfs for compiling kernel modules.

Kernel modules aka kernel module drivers are absolutely compiled kernel spesific. Okay if you dont alter the configuration, you can use the same modules with updated lesser number kernel, like with LTS numbers, but the distro need to be same aka same gcc and the configuration needs to be non-altered.

So...Puppy 5.3.1 ( whatever it is ) is not compatible with my driver. Different kernel inside.

tytower

#27 Post by tytower »

I hate wasting a lot of time trying to get something to work and then finding there is something wrong with the distribution .

This seems to be the case here with Puppy 5.3.1. As mentioned before I get an error with a missing build directory so I got down the necessary kernel source sfs file while running Puppy 5.4.2 and had a go at compiling the driver for myself again . This time it compiled fine .

So thinking I'm on a winner here I changed back to 5.3.1 and downloaded and started the neccessary Devx and kernel sfs files for that distro and had a go at compiling that. Exactly the same error message even though I started and ran a new installation without a save file and the sfs's mounted

Code: Select all

.make: *** /lib/modules/3.2.29/build: No such file or directory.  Stop. 
So it just needs a build directory with stuff in it which just isn't there in 5.3.1 . Looking in 5.4.2 that directory is there and has 21 Directories and 10 files in it so best check your distro first to see if its there

Anyway for those who may come searching to here in 5.4.2 here is how to compile the drivers . It will probably work in other versions too but I can only tell you which one it does not work in.

First get the two sfs files Devx and kernel sources for your distro.
load them at startup or on the fly per menu->setup->loadonthefly

Second get the linux driver files from the CD that comes with the WiFi device .I got mine from the CD for Digitech 802.11N but the driver seems to work with TP-Link TL-WN723N too.

Go into those ,open a terminal in the file with install.sh in it and type "./install.sh" It will run some stuff and then give you a choice . I took any one first and came back later and chose the other and ran it again

Now you get what seems like an error when you do that but I think it just sets up the MAKEFILe in drivers. Anyway change directory to "drivers" and open a terminal there and type make . This should then happily trot on and make the modules you need . When complete type "make install" and this puts the drivers where they should be

Go back and do the other choice if you want both drivers done

Now if anyone has a problem here make a post thanks - I'm gonna move on