SlimBoat browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
stvjhson

#21 Post by stvjhson »

FlashPeak has just release SlimBoat V1.1.19 for linux version. The "what's new" page said they have fixed ssl errors due to missing root ssl certificates on puppy linux.

They have also uploaded an official "additional libraries for puppy" at http://www.slimboat.com/en/dlpage.php .

I've just tried it and it works perfectly under precise puppy 5.4.3. Maybe someone else can try it on the other puppies.
jrb wrote: Did you find anything in /etc/ssl/certs in Ubuntu? I'm afraid I don't really understand the ssl system. :oops: Maybe someone with more knowledge could help out? Might have to post it as a new thread in the Users forum.

jrb

#22 Post by jrb »

stvjhson wrote:FlashPeak has just release SlimBoat V1.1.19 for linux version. The "what's new" page said they have fixed ssl errors due to missing root ssl certificates on puppy linux.

They have also uploaded an official "additional libraries for puppy" at http://www.slimboat.com/en/dlpage.php .

I've just tried it and it works perfectly under precise puppy 5.4.3. Maybe someone else can try it on the other puppies.
I just downloaded V1.1.19 and it has gotten rid of the SSL errors. :D

I had a look at the "additional libraries for puppy" but it contains so many fundamental lib replacements I was afraid to try it. I found that slimboat will open and operate in Slacko 5.4 with just
  • libgstapp-0.10.so.0.25.0
    libgstbase-0.10.so.0.30.0
    libgstinterfaces-0.10.so.0.25.0
    libgstpbutils-0.10.so.0.25.0
    libgstreamer-0.10.so.0.30.0
    libgstvideo-0.10.so.0.25.0
from gst-plugins-base-0.10.36-i486-2.txz and gstreamer-0.10.36-i486-1.txz. Mind you I have the devx package loaded so it might be using libs from that package too.

Have you figured out how to get flash videos working or even downloading?

stvjhson

#23 Post by stvjhson »

I just tried playing a couple of youtube videos and it worked just fine. But as I said, I use precise not Slack. Why are you afraid of the additiona libraries if they are fundamental ones? It's extracted into the the private libs folder under slimboat folder. It only affects slimboat and won't affect other applications or your system.
jrb wrote: I just downloaded V1.1.19 and it has gotten rid of the SSL errors. :D

I had a look at the "additional libraries for puppy" but it contains so many fundamental lib replacements I was afraid to try it. I found that slimboat will open and operate in Slacko 5.4 with just
from gst-plugins-base-0.10.36-i486-2.txz and gstreamer-0.10.36-i486-1.txz. Mind you I have the devx package loaded so it might be using libs from that package too.

jrb

#24 Post by jrb »

stvjhson wrote:Why are you afraid of the additiona libraries if they are fundamental ones? It's extracted into the the private libs folder under slimboat folder.

Code: Select all

./slimboat.sh: line 13: 13244 Segmentation fault      $dirname/$appname "$@"
:?

stvjhson

#25 Post by stvjhson »

I guess that's why. LOL. I was curious enough to install slack and try it out myself. I got the same result when I used the additional libs downloaded from slimboat.com. Probably those libs are copied from an ubuntu distribution which is more compatible with precise puppy but doesn't go well with Slack.

I use PPM to install the additional packages you indicated and got slimboat to run correctly.

But so far I wasn't able to get flash to play on slack even if I installed the latest flash player rpm package from adobe. flash works out of the box for slimboat on precise pup.

jrb wrote:

Code: Select all

./slimboat.sh: line 13: 13244 Segmentation fault      $dirname/$appname "$@"
:?

stvjhson

#26 Post by stvjhson »

By the way, on both precise pup and slackpup, I got slimboat to run with the 6 libgst libs without installing additional packages via PPM. You are right. libc.so.6 shouldn't be shipped since it's such a fundemental system lib. I will shoot a note to the developers and inform them of the issue. They are pretty responsive and fast to correct problems.

I tried wary pup as well. But SlimBoat doesn't run on it. I looked into the version of glibc on wary pup and found it's 2.10. Both Slack and precise uses glibc 2.15, which is the same as ubutun 12. In order for slimboat to run on warypup, I guess the developer would have to recompile it from scratch including the QT framework.

jrb wrote:I just downloaded V1.1.19 and it has gotten rid of the SSL errors. :D

Eyes-Only

#27 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thanks xman for bringing this magnificent browser to my attention! Wow! :shock: Ever since I noticed this thread around a week ago I've been using Slimboat almost exclusively on both my LXpup and my Lubuntu Pup ( both based upon Ubuntu Precise yet different in significant ways ) and I'm truly impressed! It seems far faster than Google's Chrome - all while NOT calling home ( and you always wonder about that even while the settings to do so are checked off ), and having far more options than nearly ALL lite-weight browsers of this classification.

On top of it all it has a very attractive UI that is very intuitive. I can't wait to see this browser become themable! :)

If any of you have yet to try this, are thinking of doing so, etc., then why are you waiting? Just jump in and go for it! I'm sure you'll be thrilled! My wish is that these folks could in some way possible become better-known as this browser is truly a magnificent, wonderful, gem. I actually LOOK for reasons to surf now ( and get no work done in the process. LOL! ).

Thanks again xman!

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

rameshiyer

SlimBoat Browser

#28 Post by rameshiyer »

I have installed the SlimBoat Browser in Precise Puppy. However, while opening https website, either slow or showing SSL error. How to solve these?. Otherwise, it seems to be good even better than other browsers?.

kent

Re: SlimBoat Browser

#29 Post by kent »

rameshiyer wrote:I have installed the SlimBoat Browser in Precise Puppy. However, while opening https website, either slow or showing SSL error. How to solve these?. Otherwise, it seems to be good even better than other browsers?.
jrb wrote: I just downloaded V1.1.19 and it has gotten rid of the SSL errors. :D
try v1.1.19

rameshiyer

SlimBoat Browser

#30 Post by rameshiyer »

I also installed latest version only. still It has problems intermittently.

stvjhson

Re: SlimBoat Browser

#31 Post by stvjhson »

May I ask which website gives you the ssl errors? I am using the latest version 1.1.19 and have no ssl errors with gmail and hotmail.
rameshiyer wrote:I have installed the SlimBoat Browser in Precise Puppy. However, while opening https website, either slow or showing SSL error. How to solve these?. Otherwise, it seems to be good even better than other browsers?.

rameshiyer

Slimbot Browser

#32 Post by rameshiyer »

Not frequently. I have experienced SSL certificate error while logging www.facebook.com etc. This may be occasional glitch. Anyway I am extensively using Slimbrowser. Thank you all.

rameshiyer

SlimBoat

#33 Post by rameshiyer »

Why Slimboat is not working in Arch Puppy.?

stvjhson

Re: SlimBoat

#34 Post by stvjhson »

What errors do you have get on arch puppy?
rameshiyer wrote:Why Slimboat is not working in Arch Puppy.?

rameshiyer

Slimboat browser

#35 Post by rameshiyer »

Dear Stvjhson

No error found. Not launching at all.

stvjhson

Re: Slimboat browser

#36 Post by stvjhson »

No segmentation fault or missing libraries message in the launching console?
rameshiyer wrote:Dear Stvjhson

No error found. Not launching at all.

rameshiyer

Slimboat

#37 Post by rameshiyer »

No message either lauching through command prompt or clicking slimboat.sh. No output at all. She is adamant!. Please lookinto this.

stvjhson

Re: Slimboat

#38 Post by stvjhson »

FlashPeak has just posted SlimBoat 1.1.20. Maybe you can try it out and see if it makes any difference.

By the way, where did you download this Arch Puppy? I might install it and try it out sometime.
rameshiyer wrote:No message either lauching through command prompt or clicking slimboat.sh. No output at all. She is adamant!. Please lookinto this.

stvjhson

Re: Slimboat

#39 Post by stvjhson »

I just downloaded archpup-12.12.2 from this forum post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 851#671851 . Extract slimboat_i386.tar.xz (v1.1.20) together with the gstream libs listed on http://www.slimboat.com/en/dlpage.php . It runs fine for me.

rameshiyer wrote:No message either lauching through command prompt or clicking slimboat.sh. No output at all. She is adamant!. Please lookinto this.

rameshiyer

Slimboat

#40 Post by rameshiyer »

Anyway I may be unlucky in Arch Puppy. May be due to some conflict with other programs.