Toshiba Satellite p505d-s8930 crashes Puppy CD every time

Booting, installing, newbie
buford

#1 Post by buford »

My girlfriend has been wanting to try puppy versions for a very long time. We finally are ready, however 3 different cds make it to the desktop sometimes and sometimes they don't . The laptop just powers off randomly.
Maybe i should try booting from a usb stick, thats the one thing i havent tried. The goal is to get any puppy installed and from there we can install others.
live cd versions tried: 528, 511, 431
toshiba satellite p505d-s8930
i have tried puppy acpi=off all this did was shut down the usb ports, it still randomly shut down.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey buford

is it getting hot?

tried to get my son's acer to run puppy without any success as it would run full throttle, get hot and power down :(

:)

buford

#3 Post by buford »

I thought it was getting hot so i put something under each side of the bottom to keep it from sitting flat. Problem is persistant.
Tried installing usb flash, booted in, then while downloading a browser it just shut itself down in the middle of the down load.

however it doesnt do this with windows, also i put in live cd of backtrack 5 ubuntu, no problems.

So still no luck with puppy. if i try to install puppy with backtrack i can only wonder if a frugal install will still do this, i believe it will because the flash drive did. this tells me its a puppy problem, not a cd problem.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Similar problem in forum was fixed by checking the cooling vents on laptop and finding them full of dust Bunny's. Cleaned cooling fan vents and problem was fixed.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

buford

#5 Post by buford »

thanks big pup, i was just running 528 and while booting it said something about temp being at 105c and shutting down. i just dont get why windows doesnt care.

buford

#6 Post by buford »

between super overheating, hanging up on the exit ,and wifi problems, i decided to give up. I put lubuntu on it, still had to fight with wifi for a good five hours, but its running good now.

postfs1

#7 Post by postfs1 »

Maybe some programs are able to give detailed information about the condition of hardware.

About the CPU temperature: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 291#557291

8-bit

#8 Post by 8-bit »

Did you have CPU scaling activated?
It is supposed to drop the speed of the CPU as temperature increases.
Do you ever hear the fan start up when running Puppy vs. running Windows or Ubuntu?
There have been discussions on the fan not starting in Puppy.

buford

#9 Post by buford »

thanks postfs1, i will take a look. i still have puppy installed, several actually. we just figured on not using them. however when i can get her back off it, i will check it out.

8-bit, i tried running off just the battery ,and turning the stepping off in bios. neither helped. was too noisy to listen for the fan. scary thought the fan not running.

Sky Aisling

#10 Post by Sky Aisling »

buford,

*Hardinfo* gives temp of machine.

Menu/system/system status and config/hardinfo hardware information

Look on left side for *sensors*.