ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stifiling

#361 Post by stifiling »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I need Broadcom Drivers for ArchPup 12.12.2. If there were drivers built-in, they're not supporting my wifi device.
did you try:

Code: Select all

modprobe b43

simargl

#362 Post by simargl »

mavrothal wrote:(BTW the archdev link in the first post is broken. Points to a 12.12.2 file)
:o Fixed. Thanks!

stifiling

#363 Post by stifiling »

mav, you're not overjoyed about the adrv idea are you? you don't feel as if the points brought up, as the reasons for using it, are strong points?

If the adrive idea were to be 'scratched'. How would we get this distro to appeal to Arch Linux users, who might not want some of those uninstallable default applications? they could mksquashfs themselves another sfs file, to get the apps out, but.........they've never heard of that before. that's a Puppy Linux thing, and...a lot of puppy linux users have never even heard of it before either.

Scooby

touchpad

#364 Post by Scooby »

I have no success with touchpad and install of xf86-input-synaptics

Is some synaptics module already installed?

with nothing installed from repo

modprobe -D synaptics_i2c
produces

insmod /lib/modules/3.6.8/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-core.ko
insmod /lib/modules/3.6.8/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/synaptics_i2c.ko

seems like driver is already in use?

I have tried to configure with synclient and with config files 10-synaptics.conf, 50-synaptics.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

I also tried modifying xorg.conf but then x woldnt start.

Any ideas?

mavrothal

#365 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:mav, you're not overjoyed about the adrv idea are you? you don't feel as if the points brought up, as the reasons for using it, are strong points?.
Actually, you are totally wrong :o
I love the adrv idea. What I do not like is to have an ISO distribution that is not really usable without installing any packages.
That's why I opposed adrv with just a desktop/WM.
That's why I developed ydrv so the archapps sfs can be auto-loaded and included in the ISO.

Now about those hard core Arch users... Are you seriously targeting these guys with Archpup?... :roll:
Last edited by mavrothal on Sat 12 Jan 2013, 19:21, edited 2 times in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

bark_bark_bark

#366 Post by bark_bark_bark »

stifiling wrote:did you try:

modprobe b43
Yes, but still no luck.

EDIT: When are going to start supplying .delta files for ArchPup?

peebee

#367 Post by peebee »

bark_bark_bark wrote:
stifiling wrote:did you try:

modprobe b43
Yes, but still no luck.
If you are trying to use Pwireless2 suggest you edit /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG to put b43 into the 'addlist' (don't forget the spaces) and reboot....

This is what I have to do....

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

bark_bark_bark

#368 Post by bark_bark_bark »

That didn't work either. I think the b43 module doesn't support my device. Somebody could compile a better b43 module though.

stifiling

#369 Post by stifiling »

mavrothal wrote:Now about those hard core Arch users... Are you seriously targeting these guys with Archpup?... :roll:
Absolutely so, and here's the reasons why:
A portable Linux on a USB Drive is very useful.
Archpup puts Arch Linux on a USB stick and runs in ram.
Archpup is faster, and smaller than Arch Linux and better suited for a 2gb, or another USB drive.
I can have that USB Drive formatted to ntfs, and not ext2 or ext3. To look at pictures, and listen to mp3s on my buddies Windows computer, and listen to those mp3s on his Windows System using Windows Media Player....and have my portable Arch Linux on it also.
After seeing how many gaps it's filled from the USB standpoint...no reason to not have my desktop and laptop on the same page. So instead of having Puppy Linux on my USB Drive (Puppy is light years better than Arch in this area), and Arch Linux on my Desktop (Arch might be preferred by many in this area, because it doesn't come with an uninstallable PMusic app or a brain-wrecking hard to compile and install XBMC)...I can use Archpup for both.

So when they see...."Arch Linux on USB...no reformating, no PMusic, no PBurn, and no dog icons all throughout the system". It has a huge chance, much better than before...to attract their attention.

Based on that comment though....this is probably an audience we'd be better off just ignoring, right?

If there's a better solution it a be nice to hear, but presently it's sounding like the solution is to "just ignore them".

peebee

#370 Post by peebee »

bark_bark_bark wrote:That didn't work either. I think the b43 module doesn't support my device. Somebody could compile a better b43 module though.
I've tried compiling the Broadcom wl driver - it compiles OK - but doesn't load properly to create wlan0 and doesn't generate any error messages to give clues why not - so I'm currently stumped.

Does dmesg show any errors for you?
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

darkcity

#371 Post by darkcity »

@bark_bark_bark

Is directory /lib/firmware/b43 present on your archpup? I copied it from Slacko531 for my device (though, it may be included in the latest archpup).

Can you report the chipset of your device? You can use hardinfo to get this information (or at least the name of the product), click on the USB/PCI/other option depending on the device type.

bark_bark_bark

#372 Post by bark_bark_bark »

yes, but b43 is a folder (if that is what you want to know). I know almost nothing about it. All I know is that it is a Broadcom device. Neither lina-lite 005 or ArchPup 12.12.2 has hardinfo (and that are all the puppies I have).

EDIT: Chipset is BCM4313

stifiling

#373 Post by stifiling »

bark_bark_bark wrote:yes, but b43 is a folder (if that is what you want to know). I know almost nothing about it. All I know is that it is a Broadcom device. Neither lina-lite 005 or ArchPup 12.12.2 has hardinfo (and that are all the puppies I have).

EDIT: Chipset is BCM4313
this should be a step in the right direction towards getting it compiled and working:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/broadcom-wl/

mavrothal

#374 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:
mavrothal wrote: Based on that comment though....this is probably an audience we'd be better off just ignoring, right?

If there's a better solution it a be nice to hear, but presently it's sounding like the solution is to "just ignore them".
I said it from the beginning, is your baby.
And if you want to offer a no-apps ISO so Arch users will customize their sticks, while the rest will just pass (without even a GUI package manager), is your choice.
I just never figured out why the picky Arch users can not just skip the apps SFSs if included?... But that's probably because I'm not an Arch user.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

darkcity

#375 Post by darkcity »

@bark_bark_bark

directory = folder. looks like you need the module brcmsmac
and the firmware directory /lib/firmware/brcm

EDIT:
Reference-

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211
http://wiki.debian.org/brcm80211
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Br ... 2Fbrcmfmac

A) first installing firmware, may be try one the pets here if not present in archpup-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76495

B) use the command
modprobe brcmsmac

C) you can see your network devices using command
ifconfig
Last edited by darkcity on Sun 13 Jan 2013, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Scooby

#376 Post by Scooby »

mavrothal wrote:Scooby, nooby, et all,
But you have to learn. Right? so here we go.

mkdir initramfs
cd initramfs
gunzip -c /path/to/initrd.gz | cpio -i
# apply patches/modify initramfs
mv /path/to/initrd.gz /path/to/initrd.gz.orig
find . -print | cpio -H newc -o | gzip -9 > /path/to/initrd.gz
Make sure you know what to do and how to boot your system if you get a "kernel panic", "can not find files", etc...
I worked my way through this. I must say pipes and redirection
twists my brain a little bit.

In the last command do you write the initrd.gz straight into ISO?
Or do you have another script that creates ISO?

I get "bash: /mnt/testdisk/initrd.gz: cannot overwrite existing file"
Maybe cause ISO is mounted read-only?

thanks for the lesson, I never used cpio before and was unfamiliar with newc format.
Does newc ad any compression?

mavrothal

#377 Post by mavrothal »

Scooby wrote: In the last command do you write the initrd.gz straight into ISO?
Or do you have another script that creates ISO?

I get "bash: /mnt/testdisk/initrd.gz: cannot overwrite existing file"
Maybe cause ISO is mounted read-only?
Yes. If you want a CD, you must rebuild the ISO with the new initrd.gz and burn it.
Scooby wrote:Does newc ad any compression?
No. "gzip" does
Last edited by mavrothal on Sat 12 Jan 2013, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

stifiling

#378 Post by stifiling »

mavrothal wrote:And if you want to offer a no-apps ISO so Arch users will customize their sticks, while the rest will just pass (without even a GUI package manager), is your choice.
I just never figured out why the picky Arch users can not just skip the apps SFSs if included?... But that's probably because I'm not an Arch user.
I agree that the archapps.sfs should also be included on the iso as the ydrv. and the wm.sfs as the adrv....and the main.sfs as 'base'.

i wouldn't want to see any user "just pass". i feel this is a way to give every type of user what they might or might not want. So i agree with you man. Give them the three layers, and let them peel them off and use the system 'completely' the way they choose.

stifiling

#379 Post by stifiling »

Sim, if i do a:

pacman -S xfce4
using just the main.sfs, it's trying to reinstall 4 packages that's already installed and that is:

procps-ng
libusbx
libcups
util-linux

it's as if the files in /var/lib/pacman/local...aren't telling pacman that these apps are already installed. So the only way to get xfce installed is to use:

pacman -Sf xfce4 
which will overwrite those 4 packages, pretty much making duplicates of them.

If i install those 4 apps on another 12.12 installation.....and copy and replace the 4 folders from /var/lib/pacman/local...into the main.sfs, and resquash it, then pacman does notice that they're already installed. So there's a glitch somewhere with those files in the local folder.

Also...thunar isn't in the main.sfs....so shouldn't it be removed from the 'IgnorePkg' line in pacman.conf. Removing thunar from that line will let the 'Root Account Banner' thunar be installed, but a pkg of the other version can be available for download.

bark_bark_bark

#380 Post by bark_bark_bark »

darkcity, I am having major difficulty downloading anything from the first 3 links. I need major help.