Upup Precise 3.7.2 with kernel 3.7.2, no pae

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
OscarTalks

#21 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Pemasu,

Thanks for all your hard work with Upup Precise.

In the case of all Precise Puppies the fresh Live CD does not boot to a satisfactory desktop on my machine with a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 card because it tries to load the nouveau driver which gives blank menus and other missing graphics. There are solutions (xorg wizard sometimes finds a driver and resolution that works or I can install an Nvidia driver) but I am thinking of the new or inexperienced user and I wonder if there is a way of fixing the initial boot condition.

Just testing 3.7.2 now and trying to install the Nvidia driver from the website (which worked with 5.4.X.7 yesterday) and am getting this error from the Nvidia installer:-

Code: Select all

ERROR: The kernel header file
'/lib/modules/3.7.2-upup/build/include/linux/version.h' does not exist. The most likely reason for this is that the kernel source files in '/lib/modules/3.7.2-upup/build' have not been configured.
Hope that helps. By the way, the Nvidia driver in the repo is too new for this card. Any chance of some older ones? The one I have to install is 173.14.36
Oscar in England

pemasu

#22 Post by pemasu »

OscarTalks. I have traced that problem. There is now need for one extra symlink inside kernel source. I will update the source soon.
The quick fix is to create the symlink manually in console:

ln -s /lib/modules/3.7.2-upup/build/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /lib/modules/3.7.2-upup/build/include/linux/version.h
The best solution would be to use nv kernel module and nv xorg driver, but....ubuntu has not managed to create working nv xorg driver, so the nv kernel module is not usable.

So...there is left nouveau and vesa. About older nvidia drivers. I dont have any nvidia cards so...it is not easy to test them. I learned to compile nvidia drivers without existing card, but I think capable compilers can do that much easily with card in place.

anikin

#23 Post by anikin »

Hi pemasu,

On the face of it, looks like another 'cool running' build. My eeepc has been on for more than a couple hours, loaded with this release and it remains cool. Almost cold, I would say. Cooler than dpup Exprimo 3.6.2, I'm afraid, which lately is being used as my daily OS (fan control solved, BTW). As is my habit, on the first boot I rush to see the video section of the xorg log. This one perhaps is the best I've seen. It's not that the Intel driver is being correctly picked up on the first boot - all the latest pups do that. The log here shows more features are enabled automatically from the get-go. Them new kernels are getting better by the day . . .

pemasu

#24 Post by pemasu »

666philb. Thanks. I will post to your quickpet thread soon. Vlc-2.0.5 has been uploaded to upup repo now.

OscarTalks. Kernel sources sfs has been reuploaded. It has now that missing ( new feature ) symlink. That symlink kind need was also the reason that I had to modify the kernel buildind build.sh script for aufs.

No wonder it popped up with graphics driver compiling. So...it is best that the symlink is in the kernel sources sfs straight.

James C

#25 Post by James C »

James C

#26 Post by James C »

01micko and I have done a lot of testing with Nvidia graphics chips and he concluded that "nouveau" is most compatible with more hardware.
Personally I have several Nvidia chips......7050/630a ,7025/630a , Riva TNT 2 , MX400 , MX 4000 , 6200 and 8400 ....."nouveau" works on all while "nv" and "vesa" works on some while sometimes just booting to a black screen.

Also, in case someone doesn't know, Nvidia has dropped official support for the older 71.xxxx and 96.xxxx drivers. There goes support for my older cards. :)

pemasu

#27 Post by pemasu »

James C. Thanks for more profound info about nouveau and nvidia.

What I meant was that if the nouveau does not work ie is not compatible, then best solution would be distro included nv kernel module and xorg driver. There is though that need of blacklisting the existing nouveau kernel module first.

I am more than happy if one kernel module handles most of the manufacturer cards.

01micko

#28 Post by 01micko »

In my testing, nouveau out performs nvidia-73 and 96 any way.

I'm looking forward to mesa-9.1 and kernel 3.8 when a lot of nouveau/radeon KMS mess is sorted out (so they say).

The most problematic nvidia is for sure the gforce-5200, I did have one years ago and wish I still did. I know Drblock2 had complaints but was happy with the 173 proprietary driver, Installs ok, check my pinstall.sh out for that one, It integrates with the stuff I sent upstream for xorgwizard. I did see exactly the same complaint recently by a newbie with the same card.I'll be surprised if the devs haven't got it fixed for mesa-9.1 as these were popular.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#29 Post by James C »

Moving right along to an old Intel box......all looking good so far.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Upup Precise, version 3.7.2

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 extmod fb glx kbd mouse record

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
375 frames in 5.0 seconds = 74.803 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.148 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.143 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.144 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.144 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory : 2592MB (173MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 13 Jan 2013 03:43:41 PM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5

# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       2592572       591136      2001436            0        64064
-/+ buffers:             527072      2065500
Swap:      4198396            0      4198396
# 

01micko

#30 Post by 01micko »

Initial boot works fine here on my compaq-cq60 laptop,

# report-video

Chip description:
Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller

Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1366x768
Modules requested to be loaded: synaptics dbe

Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 extmod fb glx kbd mouse record synaptics

Resolution: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)

It's known as 'cantiga' graphics chip. Works ok, acceleration is ok.

Sound is fine

Connected ok with frisbee but it still has issues with taking a long time to refresh the gui. Sits there empty for 10 seconds then shows the access points, then when choosing an AP and connecting it sits again empty for 10 (roughly) seconds. Also, the splash appears anywhere it seems, I know rerwin changed this but I think it needs to be changed back, the splashes are better off at the top. I wish I could hack true yaf-splash to support UTF-8!

Nice job, I'll keep it on my usb stick (triple boot upup,slacko,lina-lite) for this lappy.

OscarTalks

#31 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello again Pemasu,

Have downloaded the updated kernel sources and tried installing Nvidia 173.14.36 driver again and now getting:

ERROR: Unable to determine the NVIDIA kernel module filename.
With this FX 5200 card and this Puppy unfortunately nv doesn't work, vesa doesn't work and nouveau doesn't display properly at all so none of the on-board xorg drivers are really suitable.

Remind me again what exactly nouveau.modeset=0 does. That sometimes works on initial boot but then if you try to change resolutions afterwards you can end up in a pickle.
Oscar in England

01micko

#32 Post by 01micko »

OscarTalks wrote:Hello again Pemasu,

Have downloaded the updated kernel sources and tried installing Nvidia 173.14.36 driver again and now getting:

ERROR: Unable to determine the NVIDIA kernel module filename.
With this FX 5200 card and this Puppy unfortunately nv doesn't work, vesa doesn't work and nouveau doesn't display properly at all so none of the on-board xorg drivers are really suitable.

Remind me again what exactly nouveau.modeset=0 does. That sometimes works on initial boot but then if you try to change resolutions afterwards you can end up in a pickle.
In your case nouveau.modeset=0 is essential to get the nv driver working. What driver loads automaticaly? I suspect vesa if res is bad. Try xorgwizard and choosing nv. Vesa has gotten terrible with nvidia cards lately, only one that works for me is the slackbones version by Q5sys (64bit), and I have only 1 pc with nvidia capable of 64 bit.

OscarTalks

#33 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello 01micko

With Precise it is nouveau that loads automatically with menus and graphics missing. None of the others work at all from xorgwizard, not even vesa. Is nouveau.modeset=0 (which gives me menus and graphics but seems to lock me into 1280 x 1024 resolution) forcing nv to work somehow or is this nouveau in a different mode, I am confused? I thought nv was just not working at all in Precise.

Things are pretty much the same on this machine with Slacko 5.4 by the way (I just tried it) except that I see the Nvidia 173.14.36 drivers are in the repo in PPM. I noticed that the names are different but the descriptions are the same for 4g and PAE, is this correct?

I thought that it might be helpful if this legacy driver could be in the Precise repo also because inexperienced users might be able to grab it from there much more easily than having to install it from the nvidia website
Oscar in England

01micko

#34 Post by 01micko »

The only way to get nv or vesa to load is with nouveau.modeset=0 or nomodeset parameter. They disable drm and KMS such that any KMS enabled kernel driver wont load, such as nouveau.ko (and radeon, intel in their specific cases).

Anyway, I've loaded this version up on my nvidia, have kernel source and devx so I'll see if 173 will play nice.

Oh, nearly forgot, report-video is still buggy:

# report-video

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: G98 Board - 5610002u Chip Rev

Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768x16

Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 exa extmod fb glx kbd mouse record shadowfb

Resolution: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)

Nouveau nowhere to be seen, though I get good glxgears numbers..

EDIT:

Sorry OscarTalks but I get the same error as you. Nvidia haven't updated from 173.14.36 for at least 2 months, it's the same version that's in Slacko so probably isn't compatible with 3.7 series kernels. I did compile an alternate NV driver some time back, I think BK compiled his own, you are welcome to try it.. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 467#649467

James C

#35 Post by James C »

Just as a test, I'm using the "nv" driver live pfix=ram on the old Athlon xp box.

# report-video

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Drivers requested to be loaded: nv fbdev vesa

Driver loaded (and currently in use): nv
Loaded modules: dbe ddc dri dri2 extmod fb glx i2c int10 kbd mouse ramdac record vgahw xaa

Resolution: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)

# glxgears
89 frames in 5.0 seconds = 17.786 FPS
127 frames in 5.0 seconds = 25.306 FPS
138 frames in 5.0 seconds = 27.561 FPS
135 frames in 5.0 seconds = 26.846 FPS
136 frames in 5.0 seconds = 27.058 FPS
127 frames in 5.0 seconds = 25.279 FPS

Correct resolution......low,low results from "glxgears".

VGA compatible controller : NVIDIA Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Driver is working (confirmed in xorg.0.log) but think I'll stick with "nouveau".
Attachments
nv.png
(106.92 KiB) Downloaded 1242 times

RoDoN

gma500

#36 Post by RoDoN »

pemasu wrote:I decided to try to create a pet of the needed xorg graphics libs. It makes easier to test the intel cedarview gma graphics.
Link to the pet: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_pack ... -0.0.1.pet
Resolution only 640x480 on Acer Aspire One AO751h-52Br :(

Install xf86-video-modesetting-0.6.0-i486_upup.pet, restart X, resolution 1366x768 :)

P.S. For normal work gma500_gfx + modesettting_drv driver poulsbo.ко need to delete or rename to the poulsbo.ko.not
Attachments
xf86-video-modesetting-0.6.0-i486_upup.pet
modesetting-0.6.0
(15.06 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
Last edited by RoDoN on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 06:07, edited 2 times in total.

charlie6

#37 Post by charlie6 »

Hi pemasu,
pemasu wrote:Charlie6. I wonder what I have uploaded. The firefox-18 which was meant to be there didnt have pinstall.sh script at all. Only puninstall.sh
:oops: ooops !... sorry ... i should "update" my glasses
charlie 8)

charlie6

wacom tablet driver

#38 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
compiled xf86-input_k.3.7.2-upup-wacom-0.17.0.pet Xorg wacom driver for kernel k3.7.2.
Download here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 611#677611
please test and report
Charlie

Keef

#39 Post by Keef »

Runs very well on my Armada M700 850mhz laptop - better than expected.
Tried it as I was after something to use with my Wacom Bamboo tablet without too much fiddling. It works straight away with this Upup, and just needed a couple of amendments to Xorg.conf to get pressure sensitivity working. Now if MyPaint worked as well, that would be wonderful.

As with all recent pups, it takes forever to probe for drives when setting up save file on first shutdown.

charlie6

#40 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Keef, :shock:
use with my Wacom Bamboo tablet without too much fiddling. It works straight away with this Upup, and just needed a couple of amendments to Xorg.conf to get pressure sensitivity working
hmm! ... very interesting ....would you mind posting a copy of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file ... and tell if you have installed some wacom Xorg driver ?
thanks in advance
Charlie