2.02 & WinXP dual boot but no compiler or make problem

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Torymon

2.02 & WinXP dual boot but no compiler or make problem

#1 Post by Torymon »

Hello all!
Been chatting with dewdrop and he's helped all he could but...
I seem to have a problem getting a compiler to install correctly.
First...
I'm running puppy 2.02 on a dual boot XP machine with a NTFS drive format.
AMD K7 - 500MHz with 512 megs ram.
Set up grub and got the configuration set to boot puppy off the harddrive by default... meaning that I don't have to input any keystrokes to boot to puppy.
Seems like I was able to glean enough info from the forums to do that, but when I try to install gcc (et al), upon reboot there's error messages about zlib (I do remember seeing that one once) or other files or libraries or such.
All of this started when I tried to install CUPS and foomatic with the related ppd file to run my HP Deskjet 820Cse printer from puppy. Works fine with XP but I started having problems when I tried to install cups etc.
Things like... "change to the directory and type ./configure"
seemed to work... then "type make..." "then makefile".... and trouble...
"make" command results in "command not found". Tried putting devx_202.sfs in various places... no help.
Tried mount devx_202.sfs... got error "devx_202.sfs not found in /etc/fstab.
This is where dewdrop couldn't help any further.
I had asked dewdrop how to add the devx_202.sfs info into fstab.
I didn't want to mess it up. What are the columns for, the format for the information etc. I can't seem to find anything about the fstab file.
Any help is appreciated... immensely!!!
There has been several times where I've had to rename or delete the pup_save file in order to get puppy to boot-up after trying to install gcc or such.
I'll do this step by step... like dewdrop, I figure we'll get this figured out.
I just need help finding out what's wrong... or what I'm not doing right! :oops:
I am starting this thread in the hopes that somebody can help!
Thanks in advance!
Tory

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

the first thing to check is that your devx_202.sfs has a valid md5sum. assuming this is OK, then where you place it depends on how you've got puppy installed to your hard disk. if it's option 2 install, it would be copied to / . whereas if you've got a frugal, option1, it's saved to same location as pup_save.3fs & pup_202.sfs .

if it still doesn't work, then you might consider mounting devx_202.sfs and copying over the files. see this link:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=64416#64416

where mark advises:
with all subfolders.

We often have the question:
"how do I copy files from devx_202.sfs" to a full harddisk-installation of Puppy 2.02?

Answer:
mkdir /root/mount
mount -o loop /mnt/hda1/devx_202.sfs /root/mount
cp -ax /root/mount/* /

This mounts the file, and then copies the contents completely to the harddisk, including subfolders, hidden files, and overwriting all existent ones.

billstclair

#3 Post by billstclair »

devx_202.sfs and other .sfs files don't work if simply mounted. They need to be unionctl'd into the union at "/". This is supposed to happen automagically at boot time, done by the script in pup_202.sfs that gets left in /initrd/sbin/init after the chroot. In Puppy 2.02, this didn't work if the pup_save.3fs file was on an NTFS volume. It IS possible to do it "by hand", and I can probably find my script if you want it, but I never figured out how to undo the union, so I always ended up doing a hard power-down, since my Puppy would hang during shutdown.

2.10 fixes this problem. It's alpha, but as usual for Barry, is already very good. I'm typing with it right now, from a frugal install on an NTFS volume.

Torymon

#4 Post by Torymon »

muggins, billstclair...

I tried the mount routine and as bill pointed out... which clarifies for me what happened, after the mount, I tried to reboot to "set" the new setting and puppy hung and I had to hard reset.
I'd read somewhere and "threw in on" posts that there seemed to be problems with devx_202 and puppy 202. I have no trouble writing to my ntfs drive but can't get the make command to work.
I'm glad to hear that 2.10 seems improved. I might have to download the alpha, install it as I did with 2.02 and see if that makes a diff for me.
BarryK jumped in on that thread and commented that he had noted the bug and was going to work on it. Maybe he's fixed it with 2.10.
Let me download and install and I'll try that.
Thanks!
Tory

Torymon

#5 Post by Torymon »

In a follow-up...
I did an install/update of 2.02 to 2.10alpha and got the compiler to install, the make command and everything.
Apparently there is some bug in the 2.02 devx file or such.
No matter...
Now on to CUPS and foomatic to get my printer to work with puppy!
Thanks for the tip about 2.10alpha billstclair!
Does seem to allow me to install and 'make' now!

woof!
Tory

Torymon

#6 Post by Torymon »

Hello all!
I've done the upgrade to 2.10a. Works great. Got the devx_210 to mount
properly.
Went ahead and did a option 2 HD install.
Had to install ActivePerl in order to get cups to install.
Slugging away at getting my HP Deskjet 820Cse to work.
Got a problem now with cups asking for a username and password when I
get to the select printer page. I can select either the "presets" and 'continue' or
"browse" for my particular ppd file and 'add printer' and both ways will pop up
the username/password dialog box.
I've read somewhere in the forum about "chmod 0755" to change permissions
but I don't remember which file to change...
nor can I word a search to come up with the thread that has this info in it.
Anybody know how to get a username/password? Or how - where to change
permissions to stop the username/password request?
I can't seem to get past this point and select my printer.
Have espgs, foomatic, cups and pnm2ppa installed.
Just can't get past the username/password.
Maybe if I registered a username/password at the espghostscript website?
Anybody else experience this? Is there something I've done wrong?
Please help! I'm stuck!
Tory