I can connect with adsl!

Booting, installing, newbie
adakadavule

I can connect with adsl!

#1 Post by adakadavule »

hey ppl.i tried everythin u said n more i also wrote al d addresses and triple checked.i can connect but cant connect,wats up,can a firewal like zone alarm jam eth0 wen windows shut down,do u ppl nid any other info to help?pls do.thnx a ton in advance

jason.b.c

#2 Post by jason.b.c »

Hey adakadavule , It would help if you didn't type ( speak ) in gibberish when you post a question in this forum... :lol: :lol:
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com/][img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img][/url]

Trobin

#3 Post by Trobin »

I'l back the idea of not speaking gibberish. However it sounds like he's having trouble connecting connecting to the internet, or at least to some urls through his ethernet card.

I don't know if a windows firewall settings would stay in place once windows is shut dow. But you might try rebooting to see if that is the case.
[url]http://speakpup.blogspot.com[/url]

jason.b.c

#4 Post by jason.b.c »

Trobin wrote: I don't know if a windows firewall settings would stay in place once windows is shut dow. But you might try rebooting to see if that is the case.
Thats just it , It wouldn't...

Once windows is shutdown it's off... :wink:
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com/][img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img][/url]

rarsa

Re: It's no use, I can't connect

#5 Post by rarsa »

Let me see if I got the translation correct. I cannot answer if I don't know what you are asking. Please confirm:
adakadavule wrote:I've read and tried your advice plus some other information I found on the internet. I also wrote down all the addresses and triple checked.

I can connect but cannot connect. What could be the problem?

Can a firewal like zone alarm jam eth0 when windows shuts down?

Do you need any other info to help? Thank you in advance
If this is a faithfull translation, then I do have some questions:

1. What kind of network do you have? is it a wired network connected to DSL or cable? is it a dialup connection? a wireless network?

2. What advice did you read? Are there other threads where you asked questions or were you following the advice given to someone else?

3. What do you mean by "I can connect but cannot connect"?What tells you that you are connected and at what point you cannot connect?

As Jason pointed out zone alarm is an unlikelly culprit.

Please provide that information and well be close to knowing how to help.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Ian »

No program in Windows will run if Windows is not running.

Could you describe what you are doing and what is going wrong.

Thank you.

pmshah

#7 Post by pmshah »

Only thing you can do with the eth card in windows is to upgrade the embedded software if the manufacturer so designed it. It just might be the way your internet connection is setup that requires providing user name & password to connect.

adakadavule

Sorry!!! very very sorry

#8 Post by adakadavule »

I hav an adsl broadband setup.i get an eth0 connection up n den set up pppoe pppoe conection has dhcp n eth0 connection has static ip,n static dns.
I hav bin using ubuntu fr quite sum time n bfore dat gentoo(which taught me a lot n still lives on a partition,but i find ubuntu is easier fr my brother),looong time since i left windoze(i kip it fr my father).I hav bin using linux for 4 years now.N so i think im not all dat bad.i code in c/c++ n python.
So heres d prob. my college has windowz n i hate it like nythin,so i wanted a lite enuf distro to boot frm usb while im there,so i thought il try it in my home first.I installed it on d useless vfat partition n was impressed by d spid(ok,ubuntu runs fast too,but well d simplicity inspired me) .i boot into it n set up d eth0 as usual with ip n dns n all,den i go to roaring penguin adsl-pppoe n set dat up.d eth0 connection shows lotta activity compzred to d adsl which doesnt show any ,i den open dillo or seamonkey.cant log in to www.google.com (dns cant b solved).so i changed d dns addresses to dat of www.opendns.com still gedda same problem.so i wanna get over it.
I reported this problem on http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8521
n stupid me instead of clickin on reply clickd on nu topic(i ws sleepy i guess).so ppl hope i can fit in ere n bcum an experienced puppian soon.Pls help me.
-------------------------------------------
Windoze GO BACK!!!!!

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

usually if you have adsl connected through an ethernet card, the card is connected directly to the modem ... in other words, the card is not a connection to a local network

Roaring Penguin used to recommend (maybe they still do) that you shut down the connection to the ethernet card like this:

ifconfig eth0 down

before connecting to the internet ... the RP program does all the work

you do not set up ip addresses or dns ... RP does that

unless you have a local network, and connect to the internet through your local network ... in which case you do not use Roaring Penguin ... you just use the ethernet wizard to setup your internet connection, usually by choosing Use DHCP ... this is probably what you would use at college, it usually is setup by just clicking one button

to use RP, you would start it from the Network menu, fill in your id and password, ethernet interface (eth0), DNS Setup (probably From Server), select Firewall, None ... and that's it, it should be all set up

that is, your ethernet card is either connecting to a switch or hub or router (LAN) or it is being used by Roaring Penguin to connect to a adsl modem ... i don't think you can do both at the same time, with just one eth card

pmshah

#10 Post by pmshah »

I have worked with a number of dsl modems/routers. Usually after setting up your ethernet connection you have to login to either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or some such local IP address to access the web interface of the modem.

After funishing the user name & password, simply "admin" in many cases, you have many options of setting the connectivity to the internet as per the info furnished by your ISP. This may include user name, password, fixed IP, dns addresses, etc. These remain on the modem/router & once set do not matter which os you are connecting from. Some times I have faced difficultirs with transparent dns function of the router. On such occassions I do have to set the dns addresses on the local machines. Generally simple dhcp client setting works just fine.

adakadavule

Discussion on English!!!

#11 Post by adakadavule »

My name is Dhiraj from India and my mother tongue is Tamil.I have no problem whatsoever conversing or communicating in "proper" English.Its just that you sort of tend to acquire it when you do instant messaging and all with several windows open.What you call a new language may offend some people.But it serves the purpose.Thats all.If its required that i must communicate in proper English when i am explaining my problems here,then so be it.By the way i happen to love literature especially the classics.My favourite one is Macbeth.
Coming back to the problem.My ethernet card is connected to the adsl modem which is connected to the phone line.And if I am not mistaken pppoe is ppp over ethernet.So I have to setup a lan using the static ip and dns addresses that my isp provides.Then I setup the pppoe connection,for internet over the lan.This connection is dhcp(pppoe).But the lan has static settings.So i setup the ethernet according to the data provided by the isp through the ethernet wizard.Then i setup my internet connection through the roaring penguin pppoe client.I get connected to the lan and net instantly as shown by the display on my monitor,but when I open a browser and direct it to www.google.com or any address,I can't go to the page and i get the error "DNS cannot solve the address".What am i doin wrong?I have ubuntu on another partition and internet works beautifully there.
p.s.My isp is DATAONE.If anyone from India has setup his internet in puppy linux for this isp,please tell me.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#12 Post by GuestToo »

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

i am connected to the internet right now with Puppy's Roaring Penguin ... i think DataONE will connect using RP too ... for example, see Configuring BSNL DataONE connection on Linux/FreeBSD

you do not have to configure the ethernet card ... RP does this for you

what i do, and this should work for DataONE, is:

start Roaring Penguin from the Network menu

setup a new connection:

you can call the connection name anything ... i called mine "default"

put in your user name and password ... they have to be the correct user name and password of course, the user name may or may not be your email name

Ethernet Interface: eth0

DNS Setup: From Server

Primary DNS, Secondary DNS ... leave them blank

Firewalling: None

if you do not set Firewalling to none, you will probably not be able to access the internet ... Puppy has it's own firewall wizard in the Setup menu ... most versions of Puppy will work without the firewall setup ... i think Puppy 2.0.2 will not work until the Puppy firewall wizard has been run

Use Synchronous PPP may have to be disabled, or not, it depends on your hardware

and that's it ... about all you need to connect is your id and password

Out, damned spot! Out, I say! - sorry, spot

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#13 Post by GuestToo »

if you are connected to the internet, but your DNS is not working, you could try to access these addresses (Google and Yahoo)

http://72.14.207.99/

http://66.94.234.13/

if you can see those web pages, you are connected to the internet, you just have to set your nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#14 Post by GuestToo »

and if you have a router or if the modem has a built in router, often the router is configured with the id and password to connect to the internet ... in which case, you do not use Roaring Penguin ... actually, it's much easier ... you just run Puppy's Ethenet Wizard and click the Connect Using DHCP button ... and that's it

MU

#15 Post by MU »

I'm online with adsl.
I don't use Puppys tool, instead I do this, maybe that helps you:

install:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Internet/adsl-start.pup

From your ubuntu (I assume your adsl works there), copy these 2 files to Puppy:
/etc/ppp/chap.secrets
/etc/ppp/pppoe.conf
They contain your account-information like username and password.

Then delete (better rename) these 2 files:
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/ppp/resolv.conf
This might not longer be needed, on older Puppys they made problems, and my connection creates them from new.

Now type adsl-start in a consolewindow to connect.
If you get no error, fine.
Then reboot, if you don't do that, Mozilla might not be able to find a website.

You can disconnect with the command:
adsl-stop

Information about your connection:
adsl-status

I use this method, because older versions of Puppy had problems with adsl.
Now that might be solved, but I find this way to set up my connection very practical, so I did not try the new programs again (you can make a dotpup or .tar.gz of all files, so setting up a new connection is done by simply extracting/installing this archive).

Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#16 Post by GuestToo »

i think we fixed all the problems ... tkpppoe was crashing when it shut down because of a missing file, and there was a problem with a symlink to /etc/resolv.conf that was also fixed

anyway, tkpppoe works for me

i did that too, used adsl-connect in Puppy when tk-pppoe did not work ... i like command line programs

i think the problem is either that Roaring Penguin is not being configured properly ... or that there is a router, in which case RP is not necessary and will not work (the Puppy Ethernet Wizard would be used to configure the connection)

it may be that the DNS servers need to be configured manually, but in that case using OpenDNS should have worked

it is not difficult to connect Puppy to the internet using an ethernet card ... easier than Windows, i think

Béèm

#17 Post by Béèm »

GuestToo wrote:usually if you have adsl connected through an ethernet card, the card is connected directly to the modem ... in other words, the card is not a connection to a local network

Roaring Penguin used to recommend (maybe they still do) that you shut down the connection to the ethernet card like this:

ifconfig eth0 down

before connecting to the internet ... the RP program does all the work

you do not set up ip addresses or dns ... RP does that

unless you have a local network, and connect to the internet through your local network ... in which case you do not use Roaring Penguin ... you just use the ethernet wizard to setup your internet connection, usually by choosing Use DHCP ... this is probably what you would use at college, it usually is setup by just clicking one button

to use RP, you would start it from the Network menu, fill in your id and password, ethernet interface (eth0), DNS Setup (probably From Server), select Firewall, None ... and that's it, it should be all set up

that is, your ethernet card is either connecting to a switch or hub or router (LAN) or it is being used by Roaring Penguin to connect to a adsl modem ... i don't think you can do both at the same time, with just one eth card
There is just one point to consider with RP.
I am not in Linux right now, but I remember it has to do with the third tab and about a synchronous thing.
I had to turn the default off on one occasion.
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

adakadavule

Done!!!!!

#18 Post by adakadavule »

Thanx for all that help.Infact t sims,d router(i jus came to know the modem had an inbuilt router)sims to work on linux.so alls setup,only dhcp net,ready to go.Yahoo.Puppy rockz,now to get sum softwares frm pupget

hamstera

#19 Post by hamstera »

MU wrote:I'm online with adsl.
I don't use Puppys tool, instead I do this, maybe that helps you:

install:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Internet/adsl-start.pup

From your ubuntu (I assume your adsl works there), copy these 2 files to Puppy:
/etc/ppp/chap.secrets
/etc/ppp/pppoe.conf
They contain your account-information like username and password.

Then delete (better rename) these 2 files:
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/ppp/resolv.conf
This might not longer be needed, on older Puppys they made problems, and my connection creates them from new.

Now type adsl-start in a consolewindow to connect.
If you get no error, fine.
Then reboot, if you don't do that, Mozilla might not be able to find a website.

You can disconnect with the command:
adsl-stop

Information about your connection:
adsl-status

I use this method, because older versions of Puppy had problems with adsl.
Now that might be solved, but I find this way to set up my connection very practical, so I did not try the new programs again (you can make a dotpup or .tar.gz of all files, so setting up a new connection is done by simply extracting/installing this archive).

Mark
Works for me. Thanks Mark!