Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Dec 2014, 14:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
What is the difference between PostregSQL and SQLite?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
musher0

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2013, 14:39    Post subject:  What is the difference between PostregSQL and SQLite?
Subject description: Thanks in advance

Hello, everyone !

Could someone explain to me in simple terms what is the difference between PostresSQL and SQLite?

I have found and compiled a minuscule utility that converts DBF files to PostregSQL, and I was wondering if the resulting file could be loaded in seamonkey's (or firefox's) SQLite Manager. I could try it out myself, of course, but I know nothing, to be frank, about SQL, so the likelihood of me making all manner of mistakes is high.

It would be great if the formats were compatible, since this would open up recuperation of old DBF files to modern flat-filing, and save small-business people and SOHO's a lot of time! Smile

Thanks in advance.

musher0

Mysp

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jan 2013, 13:18    Post subject:
Subject description: (The question: file formats of PostgreSQL and SQLite)

1. You did not specify URL for minuscule utility. I have tried to find it, but the word "minuscule" is quite general and I have got many other. non relevant links for the keyword. If the Minuscule utility really create binary compatible PostgreSQL files, I doubt that can be use in any other database system. If you want to reuse DBF files, the best approach is to find utility to convert DBF files to CSV files. Then CSV files can be read by any database system (and many other programs, too). I cannot recommend specific Linux utility for that, but certainly there will be several ones (the DBF file format is quite simple).

2. I never investigated SQLite manager in Firefox. But as far as I now, SQLlte embedded in Firefox is intended just for storing internal data of Firefox (like bookmarks, history etc). Earlier versions of Firefox use plain text files for that purpose (which I think was better). If you want to use SQLite like your database system, I think you should install standalone SQLite (in the form of PET or SFS: I do not know what is available.
musher0

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jan 2013, 15:34    Post subject:  

Hello, Mysp.

Thank you for your answer.

The "minuscule" utility is attached. Its name is pgdbf-0.6.2, which I found at http://pgdbf.sourceforge.net/.

About the csv format, you're not the first one to say that it's the most universal databasing format. I suppose that OpenOffice or gnumeric can be the easiest "go-between" from DBF to csv, and then, possibly, any SQL program can load this csv ?

Again, many thanks for your input.

Best regards.

musher0
pgdbf-0.6.2.pet
Description  "minuscule" dbf to postregSQL conversion utility
pet

Download 
Filename  pgdbf-0.6.2.pet 
Filesize  15.03 KB 
Downloaded  136 Time(s) 

tytower

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan 2013, 05:34    Post subject:  

In case this is still relative I had quite a lot of exposure to DBF111Plus back in the 70's . That created ".dbf" files In that case you could open the file with a text editor and by playing with the window width get all the fields to line up under one another.

Of course transfering to csv makes sence but if you just want a quick squiz ...

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: