Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
puppy_apprentice

#901 Post by puppy_apprentice »

ICPUG wrote:won't nofstab leave it in a state where you cannot do anything with the drives? They are not just unmounted - they are unavailable to mount at a later time should you desire until you go through the process manually. I don't know - I am asking.
yep u r right, u can do it later manuall only (or maybe there is a somekind of gui app that will do it - eg. "find partitions" that will make fstab file without rebooting, but i don't know)

for nooby:
i think that there is no boot command in knopix that doesen't mount all partitions - Knoppix always works like that

why this guy don't want to have mounted partitions?

nooby

#902 Post by nooby »

Oh is it that hard? Much appreciated you two cared about my question
No wonder him asked around it is not easy to find a solution then
and that guy knows way more than me about linux.

Here is what he wrote
I'm trying to run LibreOffice without being connected to anything -- internet, hard disk, etc -- for security reasons. I found a live disc distribution which allows that, Lightweight Portable Security. However, it uses an outdated version of OpenOffice.org. I would prefer a disc with a current version of LibreOffice. Lightweight Portable Security also does not work with ext4 media. I have to format all my storage as FAT32 or NTFS. Not ideal at all.

I tried disabling all hardware during the Knoppix boot but it still insists on mounting my hard disk. Knoppix does work with ext4 media, however.

End of quote so now you know.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Bligh

#903 Post by Bligh »

Just installed Vector 7 64bit xfce. Very different from Vector 7 gold . Runs good and seems fast which is unusual today except for Puppy.
Cheers
Last edited by Bligh on Mon 21 Jan 2013, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

ICPUG

#904 Post by ICPUG »

Nooby,

It looks like you provided the right solution after all. I interpret the request from your correspondent as wanting to isolate himself completely from anything other than his Live CD. I do wonder where he stores his creations from LibreOffice, maybe on a USB stick.

James C

#905 Post by James C »

SolusOS 2 Alpha-6.......just released.Gnome 3 that I don't mind using. :)

Looks very solid for an alpha release.

http://solusos.com/
Attachments
SolusOS 2 A-6 .png
(128.66 KiB) Downloaded 1071 times

Colonel Panic

#906 Post by Colonel Panic »

James C wrote:SolusOS 2 Alpha-6.......just released.Gnome 3 that I don't mind using. :)

Looks very solid for an alpha release.

http://solusos.com/
I'm trying it too; I think Solus is one of the very best distros out there, and I agree that it looks pretty much ready for release. The only thing I don't like about it is that it uses Pulse Audio by default, which is frankly terrible on my system (and I've seen complaints about it from other people too).
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nooby

#907 Post by nooby »

ICPUG wrote:Nooby,

It looks like you provided the right solution after all. I interpret the request from your correspondent as wanting to isolate himself completely from anything other than his Live CD. I do wonder where he stores his creations from LibreOffice, maybe on a USB stick.
He has changed his mind so he writes
Thanks for your suggestions about Puppy and other live discs.
I think what I'll end up doing is running a full installation of Ubuntu,

get iptables up and running on it, and simply leave it disconnected
from any networks as much as possible. Hopefully that's good enough.
Would not Linux Mint be a better choice?

nooby

#908 Post by nooby »

Talking about other distros.

I almost always use Puppy Lupu 528-005
but have Fatdog 64 latest version installed too
and recently tested latest ArchPup from January 2013

Being as noob as I am I barely get what FatDog
and ArchPup is. I noticed that flash did not work
on one of my three distros so I must have done
something wrong there. I fail to get recording going
as it did on the small netbooks but that could be due
to me not using the analog mixer so maybe the soundcard
need the output from mixer into the line input for to record?

sorry me wordy. I mean I am too noob to even use
the possibilities have to be hand held all the time
and that is not a good way to do computing :)

Why would somebody chose one of these three puppies
over the other. I love that Devs do what they do but
I am lagging behind. Can not catch up :)

nooby

#909 Post by nooby »

guys be patient with an old fool like Nooby.

Lucid Ubuntu Puppy
Slacko Slackware Puppy
ArchPup Arch Pacman Puppy

We need :) hiding behind the corner ready to run.

We need Android Google Puppy

think of it. That would allow us to be root
and still buy those android apps that we long for.

I need that app that check up me stop to breath during sleep.
could save my life.

I could by the charming app "Honey it's me!"

What on earth do I talk about.
A puppy that is hundred percent compatible with Google Store
Android Market and still hundred percent a Puppy?

is not the later kernels already prepared to be android compatible?

Colonel Panic

#910 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've reinstalled OpenSUSE 12.2 Edu-Life, and for some reason the installation seemed to work just fine this time (and it booted into KDE by default). I don't know what went wrong before. Also, I'm giving the latest version of Fuduntu a spin (2013.1) and it looks pretty good except that it absolutely forbids you to install anything closed source on it - so no Opera, for example, which I use a lot. It's probably not a "keeper" for me for that reason.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#911 Post by Colonel Panic »

A quick update - I've just managed to install Opera on Fuduntu, but neither of the image viewers I use were available for install (I don't really expect Portabase on a non-Debian distro, apart from Puppy of course, but that wasn't available either).

Colonel Panic

#912 Post by Colonel Panic »

Dedoimedo's clearly none too impressed with the latest Bodhi release;

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/bodhi-2-2.html

Have others who've used distros which have been reviewed by this guy mostly agreed or disagreed with him? My impression from having used it in the past and elsewhere is that Bodhi is a lot more sound and competent than he's claiming here.

linuxbear

#913 Post by linuxbear »

Colonel Panic wrote:Dedoimedo's clearly none too impressed with the latest Bodhi release;

Have others who've used distros which have been reviewed by this guy mostly agreed or disagreed with him? My impression from having used it in the past and elsewhere is that Bodhi is a lot more sound and competent than he's claiming here.
What is it with this guy and minimalism? If you want a minimalist screen in Bodhi: Choose a theme and then just right-click to remove any gadget you don't like. Remove the shelf (dock) or minimize it. Turn off the desktop image or get a picture that is all black like a paint-sample chip and there you are. This will make the desktop so minimalist, that you have to left-cIick on the desktop to find the menu. I cannot imagine what is more minimalist than a simple black screen except a computer that's turned off? When I tested this the most recent 2.XX version, I also installed XFCE. Well, Bodhi boots faster than XFCE on the same 12.04 base. It also boots faster than Bodhi on a 10.04 Ubuntu base. it opens an openoffice doc faster and it will open 0AD faster and retrieve a saved game faster than XFCE. The only reason I rejected Bodhi 2.XX is because it wanted to completely erase the existing data and configuration extant on my Lexmark printer in order to install drivers. I did not want to do this as the printer is already linked to two other OS's and computers. I went back to Bodhi 1.4 as it let me merely add the Lexmark without re-flashing the printer's setup on the printer itself.

nooby

#914 Post by nooby »

These guys say that they have something new and special in Linux OS?

http://www.maui-project.org/en/about/maui/
Maui is an innovative Linux distribution currently in development that specifically targets personal computing. Maui is a fast, efficient, simple to use, easy to learn and yet powerful system for computer users of all levels. Hawaii, the desktop environment, is a lightweight, coherent and fast desktop environment that relies on Qt 5, QtQuick and Wayland and is designed to offer the best UX for the device where it is running.

Maui doesn't have the traditional packages, it offers an innovative update system with point in time recovery and lower bandwidth usage; applications are shipped as bundles (compressed images that don't need to be decompressed).
I am not clever enough to get what it is though.

the iso is less than 600 mb so that is comparably small
to the big OS iso that usually are 1G and maybe 2 or 3 GB big.

they describe how to dd the hybrid iso to a usb flash

would be cool if anybody share their thoughts on it.

Colonel Panic

#915 Post by Colonel Panic »

linuxbear wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Dedoimedo's clearly none too impressed with the latest Bodhi release;

What is it with this guy and minimalism? If you want a minimalist screen in Bodhi: Choose a theme and then just right-click to remove any gadget you don't like. Remove the shelf (dock) or minimize it. Turn off the desktop image or get a picture that is all black like a paint-sample chip and there you are. This will make the desktop so minimalist, that you have to left-cIick on the desktop to find the menu. I cannot imagine what is more minimalist than a simple black screen except a computer that's turned off? When I tested this the most recent 2.XX version, I also installed XFCE. Well, Bodhi boots faster than XFCE on the same 12.04 base. It also boots faster than Bodhi on a 10.04 Ubuntu base. it opens an openoffice doc faster and it will open 0AD faster and retrieve a saved game faster than XFCE. The only reason I rejected Bodhi 2.XX is because it wanted to completely erase the existing data and configuration extant on my Lexmark printer in order to install drivers. I did not want to do this as the printer is already linked to two other OS's and computers. I went back to Bodhi 1.4 as it let me merely add the Lexmark without re-flashing the printer's setup on the printer itself.
Thanks for the advice. As it was I tried Parsix 4 (rc) instead on the assumption that it would be faster than a Ubuntu-based distro since it is based on raw Debian instead - so far it's fast enough but it won't install Opera (I think the Parsix people are free software types and wouldn't support it) or Iceape, which I'd have thought it would support. So unfortunately it seems too limited to be a "keeper" on my system.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 20:20, edited 2 times in total.

nooby

#916 Post by nooby »

Latest CrunchBang huge surprise. I booted it on fat32 formatted USB
using rcrsn51 Issobooter method. Works very good. Boot iso no hassle.
One need to edit the Menu.lst in case ir fails but it was easy
following his instruction.

Now the big surpise is that ChrunchBang allow me to do almost all
that Puppy do and that is not what I thought because last time
I tested CB then nothing could be done at all.

So in case you are curious do give it a try.
I could change html files and edit names
save files downloaded and even move from
Root to the HD. The only think lacking is persistence
of changes.

Zorin OS worked well too and Porteus and PureOS .
All these could edit on HD and had the needed Adobe flash
built in from scratch so easy to use them live no need to install

That way one can have them on a usb stick as small as 1GB
and always fresh?
Last edited by nooby on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 15:24, edited 2 times in total.

Colonel Panic

#917 Post by Colonel Panic »

nooby wrote:Latest CrunchBang huge surprise. I booted it on fat32 formatted USB
using rcrsn51 Issobooter method. Works very good. Boot iso no hassle.
One need to edit the Menu.lst in case ir fails but it was easy
following his instruction.

Now the big surpise is that ChrunchBang allow me to do almost all
that Puppy do and that is not what I thought because last time
I tested CB then nothing could be done at all.

So in case you are curious do give it a try.
I could change html files and edit names
save files downloaded and even move from
Root to the HD. The only think lacking is persistence
of changes.
Thanks for the recommendation nooby. Crunchbang will be my next one; I agree it looks good at the moment.

I've also tried the latest beta of OpenSUSE 12.3 (full release due in March); it's a good live disk IMO with a very smart looking theme (in KDE anyway) but I haven't installed it yet.

Colonel Panic

#918 Post by Colonel Panic »

A quick update; I'm now using OpenSUSE 12.3 r2. It installed after a couple of teething troubles, but once I booted it up and installed it it wanted to go on a big downloading spree (including 77 MB for fresh KDE wallpapers) which I could have done without. It's taken me up to over 300 MB so far, not including the 690 MB for the original SUSE disk. Also, even with just Konqueror and Konsole running Conky shows 662 MB of RAM in use, so I couldn't have run it on my old machine with just 512 MB of RAM.

Still, SUSE has never claimed to be a lightweight distro and it does at least work. Probably worth hanging on for a month though for the official 12.3 release in mid-March, or until all the problems are sorted (whichever is sooner).

nooby

#919 Post by nooby »

While testing out Isobooter from rcrsn51 I noticed
that Chrome on different OS could have different filters
set on from scratch. One OS had no filter activated
so it accepted my local TV station streamed feed right away
while the Chrome in WattsOS had a filter activated
and it took minutes for me to get it going and I still have
no idea what I did so I can not tell others or get it going
next time I boot up so being stoopid and lazy I would avoid
that OS which is sad due to it was rather fast and not using much resources?

James C

#920 Post by James C »

Been running Stella .... based on CentOS. Still has good old Legacy Grub and Gnome 2.Even the wobbly windows work. :)

http://li.nux.ro/stella/

Code: Select all

[james@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.32-279.22.1.el6.i686
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(60.83 KiB) Downloaded 998 times