ArchPup - First Puppy with pacman for installing apps

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Scooby

thunderbird

#41 Post by Scooby »

In archpup 12.12.2

I installed thunderbird but got errors about missing shared object file.

I thought about simargls comment on problems with dependencies in
unloaded sfs files. So I loaded everyone I had - still the same problem.

I figured it had something to do with firefox being in archapps.sfs

So I started thunderbird with

Code: Select all

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/share/firefox/ thunderbird
and it worked.

Why is it so? Why is library paths wrong?

bark_bark_bark

#42 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I know ArchPup nativley can't use pet pkgs. But here is a tool that does allow you to use .PET pkgs.

Look for it here: Download from AUR

simargl

#43 Post by simargl »

Yes, that was the problem, your are actually right I edited init script manually because I thought patching it wouldn't work
because of my little changes -> more pup_ro* mount points, for additional sfs modules and removing line when it makes
symbolic link to X11R6 in /usr. And after this error, was lazy to search again.
Scooby: So, thunderbird needs some libraries from folder /usr/share/firefox. This is not firefox from Arch repository, but
newer firefox (ESR), I moved its files to /usr/share/firefox and created links in /usr/lib to some libraries in that folder -
otherwise flash plugin didn't work in other browsers. I might have just added /usr/share/firefox/ to LD_LIBRARY_PATH that
seems better and cleaner solution.
Edit: I will move firefox files to /usr/lib/firefox like in Arch https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extr ... efox/files,
and add that folder to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

stifiling

#44 Post by stifiling »

another thing that would be nice, if it's accomplishable, is if the adrv-'environment'-12.12.sfs were able to be chosen by the initrd at load time...same like how you are able to choose a different save file 'if' multiple ones exists. so while the machine is loading, it can ask:

Type a number to choose which desktop environment file to use:
1 adrv-openbox-12.12.sfs
2 adrv-xfce-12.12.sfs
and then ask:

Type a number to choose which personal file to use:
1 archsave.2fs
2 archsave-backup.4fs
3 archsavetest.4fs
i think this would be difficult to implement, but not impossible. i also think this would be taking it to the 'next' level. the same like ydrv. so what do u guys think??

mavrothal

#45 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:another thing that would be nice, if it's accomplishable, is if the adrv-'environment'-12.12.sfs were able to be chosen by the initrd at load time...
I do not know how easy this may be (and I do not intend to find out...), but I do think that is not a good idea to go through a series of Q&A to boot your machine.

(Also the current thinking is that too many options for the user to choose, actually mean that the designer has no clear idea what (s)he wants to accomplish or how to do it)

Besides, if you want to change adrv or ydrv you do not need to make up your mind at boot time.You can maybe decide a couple of minutes earlier before you hit "reboot"...
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

bark_bark_bark

#46 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I'm surprised that nobody thought adding pet package compatibility was a good idea. If it was I would have seen at least one response to it.

Scooby

#47 Post by Scooby »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I'm surprised that nobody thought adding pet package compatibility was a good idea. If it was I would have seen at least one response to it.
I have used many different pups but since I started with archpup I must say I haven't missed
or even thought of .pet packages.

Between pacman and sfs I feel them satisfyingly covering my needs.

Can you elaborate on a situation where you feel the need for pets are pressing?

Scooby

#48 Post by Scooby »

simargl wrote: Scooby: So, thunderbird needs some libraries from folder /usr/share/firefox. This is not firefox from Arch repository, but
newer firefox (ESR), I moved its files to /usr/share/firefox and created links in /usr/lib to some libraries in that folder -
otherwise flash plugin didn't work in other browsers. I might have just added /usr/share/firefox/ to LD_LIBRARY_PATH that
seems better and cleaner solution.
Edit: I will move firefox files to /usr/lib/firefox like in Arch https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extr ... efox/files,
and add that folder to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Thanks for taking time to explain.

I like to understand the why's and the how's of things.
Your explanation was crystal.

mavrothal

#49 Post by mavrothal »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I know ArchPup nativley can't use pet pkgs. But here is a tool that does allow you to use .PET pkgs.

Converting pet to tar.gz does not make them Arch packages.
If you want to install pets in Archpup try this tool
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

stifiling

#50 Post by stifiling »

Scooby wrote:I have used many different pups but since I started with archpup I must say I haven't missed
I agree. when i first started using archpup, i had copied all the 'puppy package manager' scripts out of a traditional puplet....and placed them inside of archpup. it worked perfectly to install pets (petget) but i never used it. i noticed that i totally didn't need it, and installing pets had a chance of breaking something.

bark_bark_bark

#51 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Scooby wrote:I have used many different pups but since I started with archpup I must say I haven't missed

Between pacman and sfs I feel them satisfyingly covering my needs.

Can you elaborate on a situation where you feel the need for pets are pressing?
well at times a .sfs may be a waste. I've liked green_dome's Wine .pets over Arch Linux's Wine package. Also some puppy packages are faster than the same package from another distro. I also feel that since it is a "puppy", it should be natively be able to use Puppy packages. Also pmusic only comes in .pet. pmusic IMO is the best for playing music. I think without that .pet compatibility, it is just a Arch remaster that mimics Puppy a bit.
mavrothal wrote:Converting pet to tar.gz does not make them Arch packages.
I know that, but it allows you to use .pets though

darkcity

#52 Post by darkcity »

mavrothal wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:I know ArchPup nativley can't use pet pkgs. But here is a tool that does allow you to use .PET pkgs.

Converting pet to tar.gz does not make them Arch packages.
Is the conversion tool here- https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pet2tgz/
the same as the one that is included in most Puppies?

Also, as a newcomer to Arch, when you load an SFS or even a PET how does it (if at all) communicate with Arch to know whats been loaded - and therefore, not breaking pacman?

I'm interested as I may in the future want to create a SFS with audio editing tools?

---

On a similar if we want to bring a Puppy program to Archpup, we could make it run on Arch standard and set up a AUR page?

bark_bark_bark

#53 Post by bark_bark_bark »

darkcity wrote:...the same as the one that is included in most Puppies?
yes that is the same tool that most puppies use.

stifiling

#54 Post by stifiling »

darkcity wrote:On a similar if we want to bring a Puppy program to Archpup, we could make it run on Arch standard and set up a AUR page?
this could be done. pburn is in the aur and functional on Arch Linux. pmusic is not though.

stifiling

#55 Post by stifiling »

mavrothal wrote:I do not know how easy this may be (and I do not intend to find out...), but I do think that is not a good idea to go through a series of Q&A to boot your machine.

(Also the current thinking is that too many options for the user to choose, actually mean that the designer has no clear idea what (s)he wants to accomplish or how to do it)

Besides, if you want to change adrv or ydrv you do not need to make up your mind at boot time.You can maybe decide a couple of minutes earlier before you hit "reboot"...
well if you were to get tired of answering the question, move or delete one of the adrv files. same like how you'd do if you were getting tired of being asked which save file do u want to use...

if there's only one, it won't ask, it'll load the only one that's there.

darkcity

#56 Post by darkcity »

I think it would be better if you could set the default savefile which would load after a time out. This could also be used to provide a menu option for no-savefile if only one is present.

mike delaw

#57 Post by mike delaw »

simargl wrote:Hi mike delaw, and welcome 8)
For changing keymap to slovenian I believe you should edit /root/.start and replace

setxkbmap us
setxkbmap si 
Should this work immediately after I change it or after make save file-reboot? If yes, it is not working ...

Could you write on first page of ArchPup a proper procedure on how to make save file? Maybe enter ArchPup - change nothing - click on reboot - make save file - reboot?

Because sometimes I don't get a notification that a save file was created although I have made one or the save file is smaller than the size I wanted. The end result - after reboot it won't boot (it gave me some errors in red :) ).

If I make a frugal install on USB with ext4 - will changes that I made (files that I left inside ArchPup, new software) stay there even if I don't make a save file after reboot or do I have to make save file inside ext4 like in ArchPup Live?

simargl

#58 Post by simargl »

mike delaw wrote: Should this work immediately after I change it or after make save file-reboot? If yes, it is not working ...
Changing keymap, like every other addition in /root/.start will work only after restarting Xorg server. Regarding save file - you can create it whenever you like on reboot after question dialog or before, changes made during that session will be saved.

oui

#59 Post by oui »

Hi

Why did you not announce this new thread in the old one?

I am not happy about the new figures of ArchPup-12.12.2, especially the introduction of new steps making the use slower like new indirect shutdown with own sub menu and asking for save file needing an answer to continue shutdown. The freshness (nothing to much, directly access to the functions etc.) of the firt ArchPup's is down... I find it is important to have a direct «reboot» function without any loosing (questions) of time! I am not (already) senile and know what I do! I don't need some backslapping :wink:

Also the command bar now at the bottom instead of the left border occupies considerably more surface area than left and user with high resolution's screen being wider than high and lose valuable space in graphics applications (in seamonkey you can process geographic online applications near without some tool bar on the screen hitting one key differently from Firefox where you have to enter in a menu to do that, and have so all the area of the screen for the graphic to get high resolution snapshots! It is not possible as well, if the command bar is at the bottom! The north-south direction is the terrible direction for example in land maps where the size of screens is to little and you reduce it without need with the new command bar :oops: ! And in a lot of languages writers write from left > right! the cursor is automatic left at the end of each entry! not at the real bottom of screen for ex. if you begin your work! An ergonomic screen need in occidental language the tool bar left!
oui wrote: I actually yet use a marvelous actual version of Slitaz (under 1 Go with full TeX live and Lyx installed (unquashed full installation! As it is also possible to remaster Slitaz exactly like Puppy, I would say it would probably produce only a 300...400 MB ISO with about all the usual Puppy scope of application PLUS the high quality text processing system ; please, it is no provocation from me: Slitaz did have big problems in the last 2 years but they are evidently solved by the new developper helping Slitaz since the 2 years! an perfect X windows, a Linux conform management of users and password excepted that user 'tux' is standard (can be changed; if changed at installations time, or after the first start under installation from a real password) that I did discover to overcome my difficulties in ArcPup. if user created at installations time, he doesn't need some password (and can do 'su' or 'sudo' without password :idea: ; 'root' does also co exist with password 'root' or other password). if created after first start, it become a full linux with full password control! what can be more flexible? a great among of applications in the 44 MB Iso of the "rolling version" (the stable version stay on ab. 30 MB Iso but is 1 year old, really old...), a really full support with an absolutely transparent organisation: www.slitaz.org, forum.slitaz.org, mirror.slitaz.org, doc.slitaz.org in a lot of languages, an automatic versions control in the doc between language versions :idea: (a real dream for not English spoken Puppy users :P ), a full repository with all packages from slitaz and from users, and sources for all the stuff since version 1.0 and an old as well as a full actualized new Slitaz scratch book! this are really heavy high standards for a little troupe! the installations system is an best specimen of the art using the browser as frontend (Slitaz panel with abilities to install new packages)! it is possible to bind the main partition as /home/ and create at installations time in that /home/ the user dir /home/tux properly so that you can reinstall without difficulty and changes in the main partition other as in /home/tux and never have to mount it extra! extraordinary performances from the smallest linux distro :idea: : half of ArchPup, quarter of other actual Puppy's. There is no icecat or libre kernel but my own copy of icecat works properly in it. Please, look at it to develop ArchPup as modern with an equivalent high logical organization!
logical organization and size that we are missing more and more in Puppy excepted if the new Quirky 50 MB can help to solve both, a new start (as Slitaz 4.0 by the new developer): Slitaz did save better is wonderful size all the time and would be able to be distributed on a check card CD. Both did start with about 20 MB size! Both have the modern X.org stuff. Both can be easily remastered. Slitaz recognizes and accepts each USB-stick in ext3 automatic as save file :wink: without to have to do something... And Slitaz is completely FOSS (non free can be downloaded extra with explicit «get-something» scripts, so flashplayer, skype, etc.). and the only French language politic of Slitaz belong now to the past, the main language is now English as in all important distributions (but it was immediately a 4 language distribution as coming from Swiss :wink: ; yet as it was only 20 MB ISO!).

This is the level with have to compare us with :idea: ...

ArchPup have to bring more: Pacman only is not enough - it is certainly possible to realize a script making the Arch depositories usable in all development environments without to need Pacman itself... Same thing for yaourt, more perhaps for those packages non being totaly included! The crux packaging system works so.
ArchPup is small, not really far from the expected 50 MB from next Quirky, only 50 % more, and have a good tool equipment and did have that freshness I already speak about: small menu, no unneeded transactions in menu's etc. It is yet not so any more in his new versions...

That is my opinion!

ArchPup cann't become an usual Puppy: try to install all the usual Puppy stuff in it: it size would explode!

Kind regards

simargl

#60 Post by simargl »

pinstall.sh and puninstall.sh scripts from sfs modules, will be inside folder /run :), because
having those scripts on filesystem root looks ugly. :evil:
I have adjusted sfs_load program to load them only if they are in folder /run.

Also after changing DISTRO_ADRVSFS to 'adrv-*_132.sfs' to support different sfs names, as
suggested by stiffling, adrv module is now listed in sfs_load - that's wrong.