Printing from Slacko 5.4 to an Epson Artisan 725 over WIFI

Booting, installing, newbie
SilverBrun

Printing from Slacko 5.4 to an Epson Artisan 725 over WIFI

#1 Post by SilverBrun »

I'm a newbie and need to add a printer to Puppy Linux. I'm using it from a USB stick and would like to print to an existing WIFI printer that works fine from the same laptop using Windows XP. Can someone help me set up this printer in Slacko 5.4?

bark_bark_bark

#2 Post by bark_bark_bark »

try plugging the printer in to your computer first, if it's recognized then normally it will work over wifi. If not, you either need a driver for it, or it simply isn't compatible. I remember though seeing a webpage (a long time ago) that has info about printer compatibility on linux. Anywise I have no clue either about how you configure a wifi printer. Some printers though need a windows computer that has the configuration tool to allow your machine to print from it.

Does that help at all?

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

Have you read here yet? This is your source for information about Puppy printing. It contains a link to an Epson driver for your Artisan 725.

Once you have installed the driver, you must run the CUPS setup wizard. From your desktop, click on Setup > Hardware > Printer > Install.

In the CUPS wizard, select the Administration tab and Find New Printers. You may need to click it several times before your wifi printer is detected.

Follow the steps to install it. Please report back if you need more help.

SilverBrun

#4 Post by SilverBrun »

Yes plugging in the printer works and it prints fine, BUT I need to use the WIFI option because this printer is in another room. Does anybody know how to use it over WIFI?

SilverBrun

#5 Post by SilverBrun »

OK, CUPs won't find it and I don't know if the firewall is on or not. How/where do I find the firewall?

bark_bark_bark

#6 Post by bark_bark_bark »

well calm down first. Okay so we know puppy will work with the printer at all. On some printers though you may not be able to do everything possible with your printer on linux. (Ex: scanning, faxing,etc. sometimes don't work on linux with some printers). Now evalute whether you need windows to allow puppy to use your printer wireless OR if there is a tool available for linux to do the same task. Google is your friend.

EDIT: As a side note, Most printers I've seen can only be configured on Windows (well at least to allow wireless connections). Also do printers have firewalls? Good Luck!

EDIT2: Did the searching for you, and found that the website has no configuration tool you can use.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

SilverBrun wrote:OK, CUPs won't find it and I don't know if the firewall is on or not. How/where do I find the firewall?
In CUPS, run Add Printer. One of the devices is AppSocket/HPJetdirect. Select this.

On the next screen, enter the device URI as

Code: Select all

socket://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
using the IP address of the printer. Continue the setup procedure.

SilverBrun

#8 Post by SilverBrun »

Thanks. I've done all that and the printer shows up in "Printers" and when I send something to print it goes to that printer but doesn't print on the printer. It just sits there. Puppy is using the same WIFI to get to the Internet that the printer does but doesn't seem to recognize that the printer is to be connected via WIFI. How do I add that part?

And thanks for everything. It works as far as we've gone.

SilverBrun

#9 Post by SilverBrun »

Is there someplace to enter the printers pin code?
That's what I did in windows.

SilverBrun

#10 Post by SilverBrun »

I didn't add the printers IP address but I have found it now. Where do I add it?

SilverBrun

#11 Post by SilverBrun »

Sorry to be such a pain but I deleted the printer and put the IP address in where you said (numbers instead of letters) (I know I'm brain dead!) and it now works fine!!!!

Thanks a million for your help.

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help.