WIFI on Puppy (98SE) no go

Booting, installing, newbie
6packer

WIFI on Puppy (98SE) no go

#1 Post by 6packer »

Have wary puppy on AMD 800MHZ 256RAM 32bit 98SE machine.Router is

Linksys E900 ether-wired to Dell Inspiron 2 GHz Sempron,2gb DDR2,XP..

Am I dreaming to expect these to wifi cooperate? Cannot find driver for

the Puppy machine... Time to give up??

Thanks,
6packer

bark_bark_bark

#2 Post by bark_bark_bark »

??

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

Why not try using the windows driver with Ndiswrapper.
You would need the windows driver and INF file.

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

Linksys E900 is your router. As this is not your wireless card, this information doesn't really do much.

What wireless card do you have? Make and model at the least, make/model/revision may be necessary if it's one of a couple common brands that like to hide what's inside...

Does Puppy recognize your wireless connection, or only wired Ethernet?

----------

If you are connecting with wires, does Puppy see your wired Ethernet controller? Is there security on the router that Puppy doesn't like (eg WPA/WPA2) and if so can you change that security to something more friendly (eg WEP)? (If not, there are ways around that.)

----------

Either way, which version of Puppy are you using? Does this machine have a make and model? If not, and it's a custom build, the more part numbers you can throw at us (to a point) the better -- motherboard, NIC if you're using wires, wireless card/adapter if you're using wireless, etc.

Somewhere in the Menu is (usually) a program called HardInfo which should help -- I'm on an XP box at the moment so I don't remember where in the Menu it is... sorry...

EDIT: one more thing. Internet is connected to router? or to that XP box you mention? If it's to the XP box you're going to have a load of fun (NOT) trying to get that to the router, then to the Puppy machine. That said, I've yet to hear of a kind of Internet that a router couldn't handle.

Well, except dialup... in which case you're in a world of Internet hurt already... that stuff is slow slow slow, and Puppy (from what I've heard, could be wrong) doesn't much like the more modern modems because everything's done in software -- software that (generally) doesn't exist in Linux-compatible form.