ArchPup - First Puppy with pacman for installing apps

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
simargl

#61 Post by simargl »

@oui:
Yes, like you noticed slitaz is smaller than ArchPup, but they really can't be compared, because in slitaz every
package is compiled with goal of having it smallest possible, they exclude every non essential dependency. What
they do and time they spend for having that kind of control is worth admiring, but I'm certainly not interested in
such a hard work :lol: . On the other side ArchPup uses packages from Arch Linux, that are often compiled with
some unneeded dependencies. Take for example pango: it depends on icu - package sized 7 Mb witz xz compressed, to
eliminate this dependency I recompiled pango because saving 7MB on iso size is worth it, I wouldn't do that for some
really small size, that's not fun at all :P

bark_bark_bark

#62 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I think that ArchPup NEEDS .pet support. But the developer (simargl) refuses to acknowledge any of my suggestions. But still this is important to have in puppy, because it's kinda like saying that Ubuntu can't be compatible with it's own packages.

ciento

#63 Post by ciento »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I'm surprised that nobody thought adding pet package compatibility was a good idea. If it was I would have seen at least one response to it.
I don't think good or bad are the choices. Much of .pet can be done using
.sfs files, and the premise of archpup, from my distance, anyway,
seems to be puppy based on arch, with arch repository access using
pacman and such. Since so many other excellent puppies are on offer,
to use .pets, if it were me doing the hard work, I would only add .pet support
if it could be done with perfection in a couple hours. Or having received
considerable donations up to the task at hand :lol:

If ubuntu made an arch clone, but could not use .deb files,
the earth would spin off it's axis, and deep space, here come
the shivering masses. But they are a large team...with coffee breaks :wink:

rameshiyer

ArchPup

#64 Post by rameshiyer »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I think that ArchPup NEEDS .pet support. But the developer (simargl) refuses to acknowledge any of my suggestions. But still this is important to have in puppy, because it's kinda like saying that Ubuntu can't be compatible with it's own packages.
You are absolutely right.

simargl

#65 Post by simargl »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I think that ArchPup NEEDS .pet support. But the developer (simargl) refuses to acknowledge any of my suggestions. But still this is important to have in puppy, because it's kinda like saying that Ubuntu can't be compatible with it's own packages.
I have no intention to add pet packages support simply because they would be in collision with packages
installed with pacman , it would mean entrance to chaos. And if you are interested real 'own packages'
for ArchPup are spkg https://bitbucket.org/simargl/spkg, everything from sfs files was in fact in
that format, then with build script extracted and compressed as sfs module. If you absolutely need some
pet package for example downloaded from this forum, use pet2sfs script to make sfs module from it.

Scooby

#66 Post by Scooby »

Did you try Mavrothals suggestion here?

It brings some support or do you refuse it?

Do you want Mavrothal's "hack" included in main iso?
Maybe you want a special package manager for pet packages runnable on archpup?

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what level of support you want?

as far as I know there have been problems moving pets from one pup to another ending with different pets per puppy? So you want another repo besides Arch official and AUR?

stifiling

#67 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:Also after changing DISTRO_ADRVSFS to 'adrv-*_132.sfs' to support different sfs names, as
suggested by stiffling, adrv module is now listed in sfs_load - that's wrong.
crap. welp, scratch that. woulda been nice though if only it didn't bump heads with sfs_load.

bark_bark_bark

#68 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Scooby wrote:Did you try Mavrothals suggestion here?

Well I could try it if I still used ArchPup. The main thing is though that ArchPup, no matter what I did, my wireless won't work. If it was recognized by the added drivers, then it sure didn't want to render the wlan0. I am just going to wait until the next version to try to get wireless to work.
Scooby wrote:Do you want Mavrothal's "hack" included in main iso?
Maybe you want a special package manager for pet packages runnable on archpup?
Not necessarily. I thought grabbing the pet2tgz from the AUR and putting it in the .iso, would allow the user to just extract the converted pet and copy the the contents in the folder that has the same name as the .pet. Also if someone wanted, they could convert multiple pets, merge the contents, and convert the folder into .sfs.
Scooby wrote:I'm having trouble understanding exactly what level of support you want?
I would like at minimal have good but basic and simple support.
Scooby wrote:as far as I know there have been problems moving pets from one pup to another ending with different pets per puppy? So you want another repo besides Arch official and AUR?
Well not really. I mean it being able to use .pet would allow me to at least be able to use pmusic on Archpup. But I highly doubt that adding a puppy repo to pacman,may spew out trouble.

stifiling

#69 Post by stifiling »

@bark_bark_bark

does your wireless adapter usually work out of the box with most puppies? which module does it usually use? have you tried changing the kernel?

simargl

#70 Post by simargl »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Also if someone wanted, they could convert multiple pets, merge the contents, and convert the folder into .sfs.
That is already possible. Read above.
bark_bark_bark wrote: But I highly doubt that adding a puppy repo to pacman,may spew out trouble.
Adding puppy repo to pacman?! Well that's new :lol: ...

bark_bark_bark

#71 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I meant to say that adding a puppy repo to pacman won't work. If someone tried it would just break pacman. Hope that clarifies what I said.

EDIT: I already know that you can convert pets to .sfs, it's just a matter of if it was worth it.

@stifiling: I really only had this problem on ArchPup, but otherwise Slacko works out of the box with my wireless. I've had some trouble on lina-lite, but it was a lot easier to get working once I had the right driver.

EDIT2: I've tried changing kernels around, but not on ArchPup. I am not sure which module is loaded automatically. On slacko it is probably b43, but on lina-lite it is a different module.

stifiling

#72 Post by stifiling »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I've tried changing kernels around, but not on ArchPup.
try it out man...if you feel like doing it. i'm interested in knowing if the slacko kernel would repair it. from the outside looking in...i'm not seeing why it wouldn't. but u never know, it might not fix it either.

bark_bark_bark

#73 Post by bark_bark_bark »

okay so I will try it with Slacko 5.4's 3.2.33 kernel. Are there any kernel drivers I have to remove in order for this to work?

stifiling

#74 Post by stifiling »

bark_bark_bark wrote:okay so I will try it with Slacko 5.4's 3.2.33 kernel. Are there any kernel drivers I have to remove in order for this to work?
well yea, you'd have to delete the /lib/modules folder from out of archpup-12.12.sfs and replace it with the /lib/modules folder from slacko.sfs

it's a lotta steps to doing it....about 15 of em. you'd also have to edit the slacko initrd.gz file and replace the init and DISTRO_SPECS files with the ones from the archpup's initrd.gz file.

having to do all these steps though, i'm not too sure u'd even be interested in proceeding.

stifiling

#75 Post by stifiling »

I'm going to lay it out though just in case you may want to try it later.

1)mount the file (using filemnt) archpup-12.12.sfs and copy the contents into another folder, let's say the folder is /mnt/home/archpupextract

2)delete the folders /lib/modules, /lib/firmware, and /etc/modules out of the /mnt/home/archpupextract folder

3)mount the slacko.sfs file and copy those same three folders out of slacko.sfs and paste them into those 3 same spots in the /mnt/home/archpupextract folder

4)unmount archpup-12.12.sfs and rename it archpup-12.12original.sfs

5)run the command 'mksquashfs /mnt/home/archpupextract /mnt/home/archpup-12.12.sfs -comp xz -b 524288 -Xbcj x86'

6)make 2 folders /root/slackoinitrd and /root/archpupinitrd and copy slacko's initrd.gz file into /root/slackoinitrd folder and archpup's initrd.gz into /root/archpupinitrd folder.

7)open a terminal in the folder /root/slackoinitrd and run the command 'zcat ./initrd.gz | cpio -i -d'

8)delete the file initrd.gz, init, and DISTRO_SPECS that's in the /root/slackoinitrd folder

9)open a terminal in the folder /root/archpupinitrd and run the command 'zcat ./initrd.gz | cpio -i -d'

10)copy the files init, and DISTRO_SPECS from the /root/archpupinitrd folder, and paste them in the /root/slackoinitrd folder

10.5) in the /root/slackoinitrd folder, create the folder 'pup_a'

11)open a terminal in the folder /root/slackoinitrd and run the command 'find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -9 > ../initrd.gz'

12)you'll have a file at /root/initrd.gz

13)take that initrd.gz file and the slacko vmlinuz file.....and paste them into a boot folder that you'll direct grub to boot.

that should be all it takes. hopefully i didn't miss a step.
Last edited by stifiling on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

simargl

#76 Post by simargl »

ArchPup is added on distrowatch waiting list http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=submit.

I was missing one thing from spaceFM compared to Thunar - emblem on read-only folders, so opened topic on
spaceFM forum. Main developer responded very quickly and positively so this might be implemented in future.
Here is that topic if you need to add some comments: http://sourceforge.net/p/spacefm/discussion/general
Last edited by simargl on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#77 Post by bark_bark_bark »

okay ArchPup boots with the replaced kernel, but it refuses to run X.

EDIT: At the console I did manage to get the kernel version of the modified ArchPup:

Code: Select all

3.2.33-4g
But still no X
Last edited by bark_bark_bark on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

Scooby

#78 Post by Scooby »

bark_bark_bark wrote:
Scooby wrote:Did you try Mavrothals suggestion here?

I mean it being able to use .pet would allow me to at least be able to use pmusic on Archpup. But I highly doubt that adding a puppy repo to pacman,may spew out trouble.
I downloaded pmusic 2.6.7 from here.

followed Mavrothals instructions and installed it with inpet,

menu entry existed but I started it from terminal. It worked fine :lol:
playing real good music too - Hoovers -- Ride with me

There is some report of things missing

Code: Select all

/usr/local/pmusic/pmusic: line 401: /root/.pmusic/tmp/DONT_SAVE_PRESET: No such file or directory
which: no streamripper in (/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin)
which: no pfilesearch in (/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin)
which: no pfilesearch in (/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin)
/usr/local/pmusic/pmusic: line 417: /root/.pmusic/tmp/DONT_SAVE_PRESET: No such file or directory
I'm pretty sure it could be fixed.

I know you dont have net yet but when you do pmusic would be availible for you

bark_bark_bark

#79 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I can't believe I forgot to copy the adrv*.sfs file to the folder with the modified ArchPup. No wonder why X wouldn't load.

stifiling

#80 Post by stifiling »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I can't believe I forgot to copy the adrv*.sfs file to the folder with the modified ArchPup. No wonder why X wouldn't load.
lol, well that solves that. does the wifi adapter create wlan0?