Problems with Virtual Box Guest Additions

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
emil

Problems with Virtual Box Guest Additions

#1 Post by emil »

Has anybody recently successfully built a puppy Linux guest with Guest Additions. I installed, they installed without errors, but mouse support (erratic) and Screen resizing is broken. Shared Folders work.

I even tried several settings of the xorg.conf (e.g. included example from this page).

Please share your solution :D
thank you very much in advance
emil

AbuBombas

Problems with VirtualBox guest additions - mouse integration

#2 Post by AbuBombas »

I have the same problem, but only with the 5.2 and higher. I suspect it has something to do with the new Xorg level.

Waiting for a solution too...

TheAsterisk!

#3 Post by TheAsterisk! »

I don't know about the mousing issue, and the lastest Puppy I run in VBox (as opposed to live CD or USB, etc.) is version 431, but the issue with screen resizing I've dealt with.

After you resize the virtual machine's window on your host, restart the guest Puppy's X server. On my system, the resolution won't adjust to the window until you do that, but restarting X forces it to adjust.

(When dealing with Puppy in a VM, keep in mind that Puppy is a bit of an odd duck compared to the larger distros out there, and VirtualBox support and tutorials, for instance, may not account for Puppy's quirks.)

Let me know if that helps at all! 8)
Alternatively, if you have another issue all together, and I've missed the boat, more details and screenshots are always welcome.

AbuBombas

Problems with Virtual Box Guest Additions - mouse

#4 Post by AbuBombas »

I had a wonderfully working Lupu-5.2.8, and when I upgraded the guest addition from 4.0.12 to 4.1.14 the problem of the mismatch between the mouse location and the cursor surfaced. Going back to 4.0.12 guest additions, even with 4.1.14 VirtualBox solved the problem.

In Wary 5.2.1 going back to 4.0.12 guest additions solved the mouse problem, but now the screen size is not identified correctly. Even though the size is correct in xorg.conf, the size used is different.

zenn

#5 Post by zenn »

Hi everyone, my first post in the forum. :D Been using Wary for some time, decided to try virtualizing Puppy but I can't take 800x600 res on a 1920x1080 screen if Guest Additions is not installed. I can confirm what SFR said here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 125#590125 works for me. So I decided to briefly share what I did.

My setup: Win7x64 host, Puppy 5.2.0 guest, VirtualBox 4.1.14.77440

1. I got my Puppy 5.2.0 image from here as I didn't want to install Lucid Puppy from scratch:
http://virtualboxes.org/images/puppy-linux/
2. Downloaded lupu_devx_520.sfs & kernel_src_L4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs from here:
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/
3. I got my sfs_load-1.9.4.pet from here and used it to load both of the sfs above:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64354
4. VBox Menu: Devices -> CD/DVD Devices -> VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
5. After installation of Guest Additions, I added the following code to .xinitrc

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard
/usr/bin/VBoxClient --display
/usr/bin/VBoxClient --seamless
after the line . /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG. I got the code from /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-4.1.14/bin/VBoxClient-all

After rebooting, the shared clipboard and seamless mode works. However, the autoresizing doesn't. Neither does restarting the guest Puppy's X server after resizing the window. I'm fine with it as I usually use the Xorg wizard to run Puppy at 1440x900. If I want to, I can use Xorg wizard to run Puppy at 1920x1080. It'll appear in windowed mode and then I'll use VirtualBox to switch to fullscreen. Oh and I also disabled mouse integration.

mdisaster2

#6 Post by mdisaster2 »

Just an update: I tested Fatdog64 6.11 under Virtualbox 4.2.6 and now mouse integration works like a charm, even without the Guest Additions.

Actually I just realized that not only the mouse is not broken anymore, but now the mouse cursor moves seamlessly between host and guest, it is not necessary to to disable mouse integration from the virtualbox pulldown menu or mess around with the capture key. This is downright awesome, and hopefully it will be backported to other puppies as well 8)

stoneguy

#7 Post by stoneguy »

Using Precise 5.4.3 in VBox 4.2.6 with guest additions, a solution appears to be to disable mouse integration for the Puppy VM with

VBoxManage modifyvm "your-vm-name" --mouse ps2
HostKey-I will let you toggle moving the cursor in or out of the captured state.

You can resize the VMs window as well.

dll

VirtualBox Linux Guest Additions -VBox Extension Pack 4.3.10

#8 Post by dll »

My setup: Win8.1 64-bit host, Puppy 5.7 (frugal) guest, VirtualBox 4.3.10

I'm interested in using Slacko Puppy Linux 5.7 (frugal) as a guest in VirtualBox 4.3.10 with Windows 8.1 64bit host

The problem arises with the mouse that stops work in some parts of the virtual desktop (PuppyLinux guest machine). In other words "some screen area is not accesible by the mouse pointer".

I tried running the "Guest Additions" from the VirtualBox (VBoxGuestAdditions.iso) but when I run the file VBoxLinuxAdditions.run shows "Unable to determine correct library path".

Neither is available, or I have not found a PET with Guest Additions for VirtualBox version 4.3.10.

Please, can someone help me?

----

Estoy interesado en usar Puppy Linux Slacko 5.7 (frugal) como invitado de VirtualBox 4.3.10 en un host con Windows 8.1 64bits

El problema surge con el ratón que deja de trabajar en algunas partes del escritorio virtual (PuppyLinux huésped de la máquina). En otras palabras "algún área de la pantalla no es accesible con el puntero del ratón".

He intentado ejecutar las "Guest Additions" desde el VirtualBox (VBoxGuestAdditions.iso) pero cuando ejecuto el archivo VBoxLinuxAdditions.run, muestra "Unable to determine correct library path".

Tampoco hay disponible, o no he encontrado un PET con las Guest Additions para el VirtualBox versión 4.3.10.

¿Alguien puede ayudarme por favor?
Last edited by dll on Tue 13 May 2014, 10:53, edited 5 times in total.

dll

Re: VirtualBox Linux Guest Additions -VBox Extension Pack 4.3.10

#9 Post by dll »

dll wrote:My setup: Win8.1 64-bit host, Puppy 5.7 (frugal) guest, VirtualBox 4.3.10

I'm interested in using Slacko Puppy Linux 5.7 (frugal) as a guest in VirtualBox 4.3.10 with Windows 8.1 64bit host

The problem arises with the mouse that stops work in some parts of the virtual desktop (PuppyLinux guest machine). In other words "some screen area is not accesible by the mouse pointer"

I tried running the "Guest Additions" from the VirtualBox (VBoxGuestAdditions.iso) but when I run the file VBoxLinuxAdditions.run shows "Unable to determine correct library path".

Neither is available, or I have not found a PET with Guest Additions for VirtualBox version 4.3.10.

Please, can someone help me?

----

Estoy interesado en usar Puppy Linux Slacko 5.7 (frugal) como invitado de VirtualBox 4.3.10 en un host con Windows 8.1 64bits

El problema surge con el ratón que deja de trabajar en algunas partes del escritorio virtual (PuppyLinux huésped de la máquina). En otras palabras "algún área de la pantalla no es accesible por el puntero del ratón".

He intentado ejecutar las "Guest Additions" desde el VirtualBox (VBoxGuestAdditions.iso) pero cuando ejecuto el archivo VBoxLinuxAdditions.run, muestra "Unable to determine correct library path".

Tampoco hay disponible, o no he encontrado un PET con las Guest Additions para el VirtualBox versión 4.3.10.

¿Alguien puede ayudarme por favor?
After see:
- http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 77&t=93690
- http://ip-208-109-22-214.ip.secureserve ... d548f1ac9f

SFS-Load on-the-fly:
- devx_slacko_5.7.sfs
- kernel_sources-3.4.82-slacko_4g_f2fs.sfs

Mount the Guest Additions and run "VBoxLinuxAdditions.run"

Add at the end of ".xinitrc" the command "VBoxClient-all"

And...

I got run VBoxLinuxAdditions.run but the problem with the mouse is now worst (now it's seems a mouse calibrate problem).

Patience...

xorgwizard vesa 1280x1024 and it's right solution for the calibrate problem, ...

BUT THE PROBLEM PERSIST: some screen area is not accesible by the mouse pointer in Slacko Puppy Linux 5.7 (frugal) as a guest in VirtualBox 4.3.10. Sometimes, the mouse pointer can't be managed when you are in the VirtualBox 4.3.10 console.

dll

Re: VirtualBox Linux Guest Additions -VBox Extension Pack 4.3.10

#10 Post by dll »

dll wrote: BUT THE PROBLEM PERSIST: some screen area is not accesible by the mouse pointer in Slacko Puppy Linux 5.7 (frugal) as a guest in VirtualBox 4.3.10. Sometimes, the mouse pointer can't be managed when you are in the VirtualBox 4.3.10 console.
After see:
- https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/8289
- https://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/35901/vbox
- https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=15679

Modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf

i'm lost

HELP

s243a

#11 Post by s243a »

zenn wrote: 5. After installation of Guest Additions, I added the following code to .xinitrc

after the line . /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG. I got the code from /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-4.1.14/bin/VBoxClient-all
On fatdog64 I added this lines as you suggested just before the section where the windiws manager stuff begins and it worked. If you insert it at the end of the file it seems not to work.

s243a

#12 Post by s243a »

zenn wrote:Hi everyone, my first post in the forum. :D Been using Wary for some time, decided to try virtualizing Puppy but I can't take 800x600 res on a 1920x1080 screen if Guest Additions is not installed. I can confirm what SFR said here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 125#590125 works for me. So I decided to briefly share what I did.

My setup: Win7x64 host, Puppy 5.2.0 guest, VirtualBox 4.1.14.77440

1. I got my Puppy 5.2.0 image from here as I didn't want to install Lucid Puppy from scratch:
http://virtualboxes.org/images/puppy-linux/
2. Downloaded lupu_devx_520.sfs & kernel_src_L4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs from here:
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/
3. I got my sfs_load-1.9.4.pet from here and used it to load both of the sfs above:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64354
4. VBox Menu: Devices -> CD/DVD Devices -> VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
5. After installation of Guest Additions, I added the following code to .xinitrc

After rebooting, the shared clipboard and seamless mode works. However, the autoresizing doesn't. Neither does restarting the guest Puppy's X server after resizing the window. I'm fine with it as I usually use the Xorg wizard to run Puppy at 1440x900. If I want to, I can use Xorg wizard to run Puppy at 1920x1080. It'll appear in windowed mode and then I'll use VirtualBox to switch to fullscreen. Oh and I also disabled mouse integration.
I/m going to try adding your code in

/etc/rc.d/init.d/vboxadd-service 
Edit. Tried that and it didn't work so I tried adding it to

/etc/rc.d/init.d/vboxadd
instead. This showed some promise but not for clipboard and and seemless, so for now I'll leave the

code there and try putting the remaining
i.e.

where zen mentioned above.