Extended desktop, Windows borders

Booting, installing, newbie
Nasrudin

Extended desktop, Windows borders

#1 Post by Nasrudin »

Running Puppy 5.2.8 on a netbook, I'm trying to find out how to configure an
extended desktop (netbook + monitor). Also how to widen the windows borders, to make it easier to resize windows. The default width is pretty darn thin!

After some googling, haven't found any simple answers, and it appears I'm not the only seeker for these answers.

Aside from these issues I'm enjoying Puppy. Hope to leave XP behind eventually.

Thanks!

`f00

#2 Post by `f00 »

Usually border width of windows is set by the window manager. Most pups come with jwm or openbox so it's a matter of either finding one you like or editing an extant theme. Jwm themes are in /root/.jwm/themes dir and openbox themes are in /usr/share/themes (along with some others). Here's a snippet from an old <themename>-jwmrc for illustration

Code: Select all

<JWM>

<WindowStyle>
    <Font>DejaVu Sans-12</Font>
    <Width>3</Width>
    <Height>20</Height>
.. just change the number enclosed by the Width tags from (3 in this example) to 5, 7 or whatever you prefer for a fatter border. Save your edit and probably re-select the jwm theme in jwmconfig and/or reload jwm. Openbox is a bit more complex but somewhat similar, depending on the theme if I recall correctly.

Likely help for an extended display using an external monitor will be forthcoming before too long - many users simply switch virtual desktops or 'pan' to the next via the mouse pointer against an edge (depends on the wm which options are available). Other wms besides jwm and openbox are in Desktop section, various themes are in Eyecandy.

hth and welcome to the pldf :)

Nasrudin

#3 Post by Nasrudin »

Thank you, `f00!