Slacko-5.4 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
01micko

#141 Post by 01micko »

Ah, @ SFR and master_wrong, I think I found the source of this issue. Thanks!

SFR: I can't reproduce the savefile deadlocks! I'm wondering if you can capture a log. Say, boot pfix=ram after the issue occurs and grab /var/log/messages from the affected savefile.

Thanks
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

Re: Two jwmconfig2 bugs and suggested fixes reported elsewhere

#142 Post by 01micko »

npierce wrote:01micko,

You're welcome.
01micko wrote:Actually I am doing a full rewrite of all the stuff in jwmconfig2, Joe is releasing a new version soon (he's up to r635 now) and some things have changed.
Thanks for keeping jwmconfig2 up to date with JWM (as well as all the other work you do supporting Slacko).
I think I have to reverse that decision (full rewrite) because the i18n guys have just spent a lot of time translating these files.I will just fix what breaks and try to include some backwards compatibility.

01micko

#143 Post by 01micko »

gulk,

There is a reason I have disabled suspend on USB installs, this is a very generic script and it's designed to avoid RAM crash because USB installs run entirely in RAM until the scheduled save occurs, but if it works for you then that's fine, maybe someone else will find that useful. Thanks for the typo fix.

Users may find that installing acpid from Slackware repo may fix suspend issues as they have many rules for many different machines. YMMV though as I have no need to test. Reports needed. Use at own risk.

SFR

#144 Post by SFR »

01micko wrote:SFR: I can't reproduce the savefile deadlocks! I'm wondering if you can capture a log. Say, boot pfix=ram after the issue occurs and grab /var/log/messages from the affected savefile.
Ok, to avoid some influences from my daily savefile contents, here's what I did:
1. Booted with pfix=ram and didn't change any settings.
2. Rebooted, creating 1GB slackosave.2fs on NTFS partition (sda2).
3. After reboot:
a). cat /dev/urandom > /root/bigfile until ~400MB
b). Clicked 'Save' icon (reminder: I have pmedia=ataflash in menu.lst) and I had "luck" on the first try: after ~150MB it started its deadlock->save_few_MB->deadlock->save_few_MB->... cycle.
After a while all opened ROX windows stopped responding, but I had terminal opened, so I killed cp process, and after ~1.5 min. everything went back to normal.

But like I said earlier, sometimes it's conversely - at the first time everything's ok, and then after 4th-5th try the deadlock appears - can't predict...

I attached /var/log/messages, but nothing new appeared there after clicking 'Save'.

BTW, regarding the "direct" method to recreate the issue (cat /dev/zero > /initrd/pup_ro1/root/bigfile):
I noticed that if the first attempt continuously goes good, it's worth to change output filename a couple of times (bigfile1, bigfile2, etc.), then even get back to one of older names.
That increases the chance to catch the deadlock.

If I could recreate the problem in 5.3.3 I would suspect my hardware then, but anyway I'll try it out also on my Acer, one of these days...
[Update: Acer AO 722, similar scenario (just bigger, 4GB savefile) - deadlock on the second try, nothing new in .../messages.]

For the time being, the echo 1 > .../dirty_(background)_ratio workaround in 9/10 cases still saves my days...

EDIT:
Almost forgot - I don't know if this matters, but some time ago I noticed the following difference between 5.3.3 and 5.4 in mount parameters:
In 5.4 is:

Code: Select all

/dev/loop1 on /initrd/pup_ro1 type ext2 (rw,noatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl)
In 5.3.3 there's no user_xattr neither acl.
I wasn't able to "erase" them, so I did remount with nouser and noacl, but it didn't make any difference really.
(my knowledge regarding mount parameters is minimal, btw)

Thank you for your interest &
Greetings!
Attachments
messages.gz
Remove fake .gz
(97.8 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

gulk

#145 Post by gulk »

01micko wrote:gulk,

There is a reason I have disabled suspend on USB installs, this is a very generic script and it's designed to avoid RAM crash because USB installs run entirely in RAM until the scheduled save occurs, but if it works for you then that's fine, maybe someone else will find that useful.
I understand the reason now. Then maybe the script should give the option to force save (with optional check box, like "remember for next time") to savefile, then allow to suspend. If you think there is a need, I can look into this. If not, I'll happily live with these lines commented out.
01micko wrote: Users may find that installing acpid from Slackware repo may fix suspend issues as they have many rules for many different machines. YMMV though as I have no need to test. Reports needed. Use at own risk.
I tried the acpid from Slackware repo, but that didn't work any better.

One more note: I installed Skype SFS from the quick SFS installer and all worked out of the box, including webcam and sound. Bravo, definitely the best puppy I used so far.

01micko

#146 Post by 01micko »

Thunor has released gtkdialog-0.8.3 recently. I have packaged it for slacko BUT it's versioned as gtkdialog-0.8.4. Don't worry! It's the same as the stable version 0.8.3, just built from SVN. It is needed for the latest Pburn and upcoming Pmusic-3.1 by zigbert.

See Main Post!

Cheers!

bark_bark_bark

#147 Post by bark_bark_bark »

the new gtkdialog works just fine. I tested it with the new pBurn and pMusic.

zigbert

#148 Post by zigbert »

I am trying to extend my Slacko 5.4, and met the following issue:

- installing inkscape from ppm and all the detected dependencies.
- since gtkmm is already installed statically ppm does not detect this missing dep until the last verifying - Puppy has the .a and .la libs, but misses the .so
- I just search up gtkmm in ppm and tries to install the dynamic version of gtkmm, but this fails. I guess it is because it is marked (ALREADY INSTALLED).

How can I bypass this?

Sigmund

01micko

#149 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:- installing inkscape from ppm and all the detected dependencies.
Inkscape was broken until 2 days ago. It should automatically now get it's dependencies gsl and aspell however you should update PPM and when doing so reject all repos that are puppy except slacko14. Also, PPM has a bug where it repeats dependencies from ALL available repos! Including wary. Please uncheck all duplicate deps from other repos and ensure that just one dep is marked. Yeah, not very user friendly :(
zigbert wrote:- since gtkmm is already installed statically ppm does not detect this missing dep until the last verifying - Puppy has the .a and .la libs, but misses the .so
- I just search up gtkmm in ppm and tries to install the dynamic version of gtkmm, but this fails. I guess it is because it is marked (ALREADY INSTALLED)
I just tried to download gtkmm and succeeded (it comes in from Salix repo). After it is installed it says cairomm, atkmm (and others) are missing, I guess you get them manually. The reason they are not detected as deps is the same as the reason you found ..(ALREADY INSTALLED). Yeah, not very user friendly :( . (I should perhaps rename the static versions to gtkmm_S or something).

zigbert

#150 Post by zigbert »

Thank you Mick for the explanation.
I have to agree with you that ppm is not the most logical interface I have seen.

Sigmund

8-bit

#151 Post by 8-bit »

I have a Compaq Presario with an AMD Athlon X2 4800 Dual-Core processor, 3 gigs of ram, and Nvidia GeForce 6150 SE Graphics.
I am running Slacko 5.4 final with comp-fusion.
I am getting a random suspend of both input and output both locally and on the net.
The suspend of IO is at random times and of random length.
When left alone, it eventually recovers.
Has this been looked into?
What, if anything can I do to remedy this?

Also, it seems to be restricted to that frugal install of Slacko 5.4 and does not show up in Lupu 520, Puppy 431, and Fatdog 6.11.

When I am typing a reply to a post on the forum, I get instances of the display of input text not keeping up with the keyboard, the mouse not selecting a clicked on item, and videos stopping or skipping.

If when typing, I continue typing, the display eventually catches up with the text the keyboard buffer contains.

So where do I go from here?

01micko

#152 Post by 01micko »

Hello 8-bit
I am running Slacko 5.4 final with comp-fusion.
Upgrade your video driver.

It's hardly fair to compare to other puppies which wont be running compiz!!! Compiz comes with appropriate warnings... ymmv.

Also, compiz often requires tweaking to xorg.conf and other settings. You'll have to search yourself. Compiz is provided as is.

8-bit

#153 Post by 8-bit »

I am already running an upgraded video driver for my Nvidia card that works fine with all the other Puppy OSes I have installed.
But as you say, comp-fusion has it's own set of problems.
So for bling, comp-fusion can be used.
But for a everyday reliable OS, one would stay away from the bling.

But I am still curious as to if others have suspend problems when running comp-fusion with Slacko!

SFR

#154 Post by SFR »

8-bit wrote:But I am still curious as to if others have suspend problems when running comp-fusion with Slacko!
8-bit, I'm encountering similar symptoms, but not related to Compiz (you can read about it in my earlier posts here).
Do those suspends occur under JWM or any other WM too?

@ Mick:
Two tiny problems with features that probably aren't used by most of users, but they're still bugs...

Does anyone have noticed that 'right-click Trash icon > View Summary' displays empty tree, despite the fact that there are files inside?
/usr/local/apps/Trash/AppRun, lines 189-:

du -sb /$HOME/.Trash/* |sort -rn | sed -e 's/[^ ]*\t//'| while read line
 do cat "$line/Info" | tr '\n' '|' | sed 's/Item = /\n/'; done \
| sed 's/Name = //' | sed 's/Path = //' | sed 's/Size = //' | sed 's/Deletion Date = //' \
| sed 's/Type = //' | sed 's/Extension = //' | sed 's/Had desktop shortcut? = //' \
| sed 1d > /tmp/trashitems
That's still ok, but the next line:

cat /tmp/trashitems | sed -e 's/</?/g' | sed -e 's/>/?/g' > /tmp/trashitems
doesn't work as it supposed to, I guess.

Proposed fixes:
- To append those two sed commands to the above "long sed parade"
- Actually Gtkdialog won't mind if there will be < > chars in cat'ted string between <input>cat /tmp/trashitems</input> tags, so maybe delete the line completely..? (works for me)

ROX-Filer Panels: right-click a panel -> Panel Options won't bring dialog window.
Cause: lack of /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/Templates.ui file
I took one from some arch package (can't recall from where now) and it's fine now.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

bark_bark_bark

#155 Post by bark_bark_bark »

On any WM I experience Suspend troubles. I have to shut the whole thing down (forcefully) in order to be able to use it again.

gameboyab

#156 Post by gameboyab »

How do I seed the slacko-5.4-firefox-4g.iso torrent using Transmission? I downloaded the iso over http, because there were no seeders.
(I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section, but I posted here because this is where I found the Puppy torrent files at.
Not running as root is the cause of my inferiority complex.

greenleaf

Error with NTFS drives

#157 Post by greenleaf »

Hello all. I'm new (from windows) to linux and have found I quite like the performance of puppy linux on a el'cheapo netbook. However I do seem to be having some problems when copying/transferring files between hard drives. Common factor is NTFS partition and Writing to said partition. It'll write (most of the time) fine AS LONG AS I don't do anything, like type or move the mouse much. so literally ANYTHING heh.

I tried out Slacko 5.3.3 and it doesn't seem to have that problem (but I much prefer 5.4). I've done a fair bit of learning (well, for one who knew nothing about linux) and my googling ninja skills have come up with the following idea.

Grabbing the ntfs-3g drivers from 5.3.3 (its a 2011 version of driver) and removing the new 5.4 ntfs-3g driver (2012). But I can't seem to find the 2011 .pet or am I missing something really obvious to the vast majority of you.

Thanks alot barry for coming up with the puppy concept, and mike for making it slacko (as out of all the versions of linux i've tried playing with, slackware seems to be the stablest) and suprisingly the comunity who seem to have ingenious work arounds <perhaps the greatest advantage of linux over windows?> that I'm sure would make bill gates glare :D

The machine i'm on is an eMachines em350 and I'm writing to a 2tb seagate usb external hdd.

rcrsn51

#158 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is a PET for the ntfs-3g from Slacko 5.3.3.

But before running it on your big external HDD, I would test it on something safer, like an NTFS flash drive.

Billtoo

Slacko-5.4 feedback and bug reports

#159 Post by Billtoo »

I made pets and tested in slacko version 5.4 of the latest stable
Midnight Commander and it's dependency Slang.
It's working well for me.
Attachments
slang_DEV-2.2.4-i686.pet
(23.69 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
mcscrn.jpg
(76.34 KiB) Downloaded 1190 times

gameboyab

#160 Post by gameboyab »

Maybe I didn't get a reply because I wasn't descriptive enough.

How do I seed the slacko-5.4-firefox-4g.iso torrent if I can't download the file?
Not running as root is the cause of my inferiority complex.