mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jrling

#141 Post by jrling »

Excellent. Those are the only two I renice'd. Good result too.

Please could I trouble you for the correct values for this line from SBGK for PC with 4GB of RAM - rather than plugging in random values!
echo "1000 1024000 512 2048" > /proc/sys/kernel/sem

Many thanks

Dynobot

#142 Post by Dynobot »

Hi jrling

Those values are determined by the processes needs. For example Oracle has suggested values for their server. I believe RedBox the movie rental company has values for their machines too.

1000 1024000 512 2048" > /proc/sys/kernel/sem

I dont know too much about the sem other than the values that show up for MPDPup seem to be the normal minimum values for Linux. Also that the 32000 value is the sum of the first and the last max or a fraction of it for example instead of 32000 it might be 16000 or 8000.

For example the current numbers in MPDPup are 250 32000 32 128. Therefore 250*128=32000..this is correct based on everything I have been reading.

The numbers can be increased but should maintain the ratio as described earlier.

Its not exactly derived off of RAM but it can affect the usage of RAM because it tells the kernel how to use RAM to process data etc. Throwing random numbers in there could really mess things up....or it could "SEEM" to improve things.

If you have a machine that uses multiple controls you just don't go in and start pulling on levers and turning handles randomly and watch to see what comes out at the other end. I think this is what the other person was doing. For example jacking your car up with the jack upside down might actually raise the car 'but' it comes with dangers.

Every where I looked uses the ratio I described so if you choose to change the values at least stick to methods used by reputable corporations.

Have fun!

jrling

#143 Post by jrling »

I think if you feel the numbers in mpdPup are fine, I will leave well alone.

Dynobot

#144 Post by Dynobot »

jrling

If you upsample with MPDPup do me a favor and type top to see what processes are running, then post the info here if you can.

also go to

cd /proc/asound

then find your soundcard and cd into its directory you should be able to do a ls to see whats inside, then do a....while you are playing music.

cat stream0

it should print out info on what sample rate etc is being used.

So two things if you can.
1) top
2)cat stream0

Even if you can't screen copy or cut and paste what I am looking for is 'sox' when you use the top command. And I am looking for the sample rate to be reflected in the data...probably under Altset1 when you use the cat stream0 command.

Thanks in advance.

bonalux

Problem

#145 Post by bonalux »

@Idolse: sorry to bother you again, but last evening suddenly mpd stopped working and i was unable to recover the problem, even rebooting didn't solved it. I've tried also to reinstall all on the CF card from scratch and reconfigure it with the wizard, but it seems that for some reason, even if it's written properly in the wizard, it cannot recognize the NAS, i get this message:

# mpd
Failed to stat directory "/mnt/music/Musica": No such file or directory
Failed to load database: Failed to open database file "/mnt/home/mpd/database": No such file or directory
#

It seems that for some reason the system cannot write in the /mnt directory but don't know how to fix it.
I've tried also as another usb installer Linux Live Creator but no luck...

Thank you in advance.

edit: if i try to mount the content in /etc/fstab it says "Can not access a needed shared library" :?: :?:

Why? Who knows...

Dynobot

#146 Post by Dynobot »

Make sure the IP address did not change...

bonalux

#147 Post by bonalux »

Dynobot wrote:Make sure the IP address did not change...
Thanks for your reply, nas and mpd IP are static, verified them and are ok. Also folders in my nas are visible and ok from other s PC.

Dynobot

#148 Post by Dynobot »

Open question.

From what I understand 64bit operating systems are more efficient and able to process more data per CPU cycle or something like that....

Is it possible or even worth the effort to build a 64bit version of MPDPup?

Even though MPD itself is not 64bit there is a 64bit version of alsa [which actually does the handling of data]....

I also think that going forward it might be a good idea that for those like myself who want tweaks to get incorporated into MPDPup to provide a link and data/explaination, source etc to back up or quantify the tweak.

Going forward I will make sure I do just that...

ldolse

#149 Post by ldolse »

Hey all, haven't had a chance to catch up on forum for several days, glad to see all the activity.

Regarding processes renicing - the extra info on discovering which processes to renice is perfect - better setting of nice values is something I've wanted to get working properly for a long time.

Giving people access to source code, change records, etc is actually a fairly large priority for me - at the moment my plan is to use Fossil, which is what Puppy uses upstream. I've created a separate repository to maintain my fork but still need to merge my current tree into the repository to make it a proper fork - right now the plan is to do that in conjunction with the release I base on a 3.x kernel. Before I commence on that project I plan to get one more release with minor fixes/tweaks out based on the current kernel.

I'm hoping that moving to a change control system may encourage more direct participation in terms of contributions, but we'll have to wait and see. (edit - I think I misread when I made this response - leaving for posterity - anyway agree with Dynobot about providing references to tweaks)

64 bit would be a huge project, unless I see some convincing data that it definitely makes a big difference I can't imagine going to the effort of trying to do it. There are two big issues trying to do it - the first is upstream support - This doesn't exist in Puppy's official build systems to the best of my knowledge. The second and in some ways more challenging is that it would require the maintenance of two separate releases - one for 32bit only platforms such as Alix, and another for modern platforms supporting 64bit.

@bonalux - based on those errors something happened between mpdPup and your fileserver - maybe your fileserver IP changed, or you changed your password? Try re-running the wizard and re-configuring the network share.

bonalux

#150 Post by bonalux »

ldolse wrote: @bonalux - based on those errors something happened between mpdPup and your fileserver - maybe your fileserver IP changed, or you changed your password? Try re-running the wizard and re-configuring the network share.
Hi Idolse, my mpd server on Alix board stopped working suddenly, if i try to run the wizard, it cannot recognise the server folder, even if nothing has changed (when stopped it was playing music an no other pc's where connected to the nas). I can still reach mpd server by ethernet but no way to see tha fileserver. To see if something changed, i've temporarily replaced the Alix with my previous Samsung Q1 and it worked perfectly without touching the configuration and the previous installation on a usb stick...i'm really puzzled.

From what i can see (but i'm a noob...) appears that for some reason my new installation on the CF of the Alix cannot mount in the music folder my nas, can it be some permission that has to be fixed?

Thanx.

ldolse

#151 Post by ldolse »

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this statement:
bonalux wrote:if i try to run the wizard, it cannot recognise the server folder
Specific descriptions of exactly what you're seeing help immensely.

Can you ping your fileserver from the command line?

If you can't figure it out at all you could try starting from scratch by deleting your savefile from another system - it's the .2fs file on the flash device. This will put things back in a virgin state and you can start over.

Dynobot

#152 Post by Dynobot »

@Bonalux

Sounds like a hardware issue.

If MPDPup works fine from another computer 'untouched' but does not on another then it should not be the software.

run mpdpup in the machine that is having the problem, then from another machine check the router to see if the machine actually has network connection and an IP address. Confirm that IP address in the client too.

BTW, are you using any tweaks?

bonalux

#153 Post by bonalux »

ldolse wrote:I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this statement:
bonalux wrote:if i try to run the wizard, it cannot recognise the server folder
Specific descriptions of exactly what you're seeing help immensely.

Can you ping your fileserver from the command line?
I wasn't clear, when i run the wizard, the first step asks for IP, share name and folder, i fill the fields and go ahead, i leave blank password and user fields because there is not a pwd and OK, then after some passages it asks to verify if it can mount the shared folder, i say yes but it cannot find it (unable to mount the smb share). Parameters checked trice and the same parameters are working with the other installation (that is on a different usb key and pc).

This evening when home i try to ping the nas to see what happens. i don't think it's a hardware problem because i can acces the alix for configuration etc... so the net it's ok.

Thanx a lot to all.

bonalux

#154 Post by bonalux »

Don't ask me why but today i've tried reinstalling all and now it's working again :roll:
Only difference from last effort was that after every mod at config (first auto wizard, changing mpd version, unmuting waveio in alsa and doing usbnrpack mod) i've rebooted and waited a little before continuing (the first reboot i've waited till the database rebuild was done).

Don't have the time and patience to retry again and see if it works because of this procedure or not :oops: sorry.

Thanks to all for the support.

clar2391

MPD Version

#155 Post by clar2391 »

Is there a way (command line or other) to tell what version of MPD I'm currently running? When I go back to mpdwizard it always defaults to 0.16 and I want to be sure I'm using 0.17.

jrling

#156 Post by jrling »

Dynobot wrote:Open question.

From what I understand 64bit operating systems are more efficient and able to process more data per CPU cycle or something like that....

Is it possible or even worth the effort to build a 64bit version of MPDPup?

Even though MPD itself is not 64bit there is a 64bit version of alsa [which actually does the handling of data]....

I also think that going forward it might be a good idea that for those like myself who want tweaks to get incorporated into MPDPup to provide a link and data/explaination, source etc to back up or quantify the tweak.

Going forward I will make sure I do just that...
Good idea about providing source/explanation for suggested tweaks.

Have to say that if ldolse is prepared to do so, an ARM version of mpdPup would I guess be quite a lot in demand. There are a number of excellent ARM-based SOC boards out there at very reasonable prices.

bonalux

Re: MPD Version

#157 Post by bonalux »

clar2391 wrote:Is there a way (command line or other) to tell what version of MPD I'm currently running? When I go back to mpdwizard it always defaults to 0.16 and I want to be sure I'm using 0.17.
try

mpd --version

from the command line.

jrling

#158 Post by jrling »

ldolse wrote:
Regarding processes renicing - the extra info on discovering which processes to renice is perfect - better setting of nice values is something I've wanted to get working properly for a long time.
ldolse

I wondered if you had any suggestions for other processes that directly contribute to audio output, that would benefit from higher priority setting?

Conversely, I noted in my set-up that the following are all set to 'nice -20' being the highest priority setting, and wondered whether any need to be for highest music quality, or could be downgraded in priority?

1 S 0 11 2 0 61 -20 - 0 - ? 00:00:00 cpuset
1 S 0 12 2 0 61 -20 - 0 - ? 00:00:00 khelper
1 S 0 15 2 0 61 -20 - 0 - ? 00:00:00 kblockd
1 S 0 16 2 0 61 -20 - 0 - ? 00:00:00 ata_sff
1 S 0 23 2 0 61 -20 - 0 - ? 00:00:00 xfs_mru_cache
1 S 0 24 2 0 61 -20 - 0 - ? 00:00:00 xfslogd
1 S 0 25 2 0 61 -20 - 0 - ? 00:00:00 xfsdatad
1 S 0 26 2 0 61 -20 - 0 - ? 00:00:00 xfsconvertd
1 S 0 35 2 0 61 -20 - 0 - ? 00:00:00 kpsmoused
1 S 0 727 2 0 61 -20 - 0 - ? 00:00:00 loop1
1 S 0 826 2 0 61 -20 - 0 - ? 00:00:00 loop0

Many thanks

jrling

#159 Post by jrling »

I also note that MPD's process is running at Nice setting 0 (Zero). Would it benefit from moving to say -19 or -20?

ldolse

#160 Post by ldolse »

I really don't know any more about which proceses do audio than what's been contributed to this thread thus far. MPD's nice value is currently the default. I had previously launched it using nice -15, but that was causing a problem on some person's hardware so I reverted that. I'll use renice in the next release. Not sure what the best value is, but -20 seems like overkill - need to make sure other processes get what they need when they need it - not that there aren't plenty of CPU resources.

@bonalux, glad you got it working

@clar2391 - the wizard always highlights 0.16, didn't add extra logic to check the current version, will do that to avoid confusion in the future.