Can't edit file .unikey/options

Booting, installing, newbie
phi_t_thuy

#1 Post by phi_t_thuy »

With Precise 5.4.3 Frugal install on Intel Core i3 computer and UNIKEY (unikey_1.0.4-1~uvn3~natty_i386.deb), everything run smoothly. But only one problem I am facing with is that: I cannot modify the file ".unikey/options" to typing method VNI. After rebooting the machine, the default typing method "TELEX" has been restored. I tried several times, but the problem persists.

Note:
These steps were done:
1. Copying /usr/share/locale/vi_VN.UTF-8
2. Symlink /usr/lib/locale/vi_VN.UTF-8
3. Adding to /etc/profile:
--> export LANG=vi_VN.UTF-8
--> export XMODIFIERS="@im=unikey"
--> export GTK_IM_MODULE="xim"
4. Modifying /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk-immodule:
--> "/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules/im-vn.so"
--> "unikey" "1- Vietnamese Input Method (Unikey)"
--> "gtk-2.0" "/usr/share/locale" "vi"

Could anyone help me?

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

Does this method work before you have rebooted, and then it has reverted.

If you want to see what files have been modified compared to the base sfs you boot without a savefile and then mount your usual savefile. Files present in that mount are additions and alterations compare to base sfs. This can be useful for diagnosing problems.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HowToAvoidLoadingSaveFile

L18L

Re: Can't edit file .unikey/options

#3 Post by L18L »

phi_t_thuy wrote:... After rebooting the machine, the default typing method "TELEX" has been restored....

Code: Select all

echo "sed -i 's/TELEX/VNI/' /root/.unikey/options" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
Hope that automatic change at boot helps

phi_t_thuy

#4 Post by phi_t_thuy »

Thank you for your soon feedback,

I didn't know where to debug my problem for 3 days. I installed UNIKEY successfully years ago with Puppy 400 and I applied the same routine for Puppy Precise 5.4.3 to upgrade my Puppy 400.
After deleting precisesave.2fs several times, deleting file ~/.unikey/options, rebooting the machine. This file reverted again with the default typing method "TELEX".

Finally, after multiple routines by unsuccessfully modifying the file ~/.unikey/options (even deleting it, granting read-only permission, reloading configuration before save...), deleting file precisesave.2fs, reinstalling UNIKEY, unloading extra go00432.SFS (OpenOffice) after boot, the desired typing method "VNI" suddenly appears. So, I was entering in a puzzle way that I could not understand why and how to explain.

@darkcity + @L18L: I have not tried with your instructions, but as I attain VNI typing method, I have no occasion to come back and try with your guidance. Anyway, your replies are an experience to me on the way following Puppy.

darkcity

#5 Post by darkcity »

Thanks for reporting the solution. Sounds like go00432.SFS had a file with permission set to non-writable.

This is way its SO that SFS packages are put together correct, and why better package management in general would be desirable. Reminds be of the time when having a certain Java SFS loaded broke the CUPS printing system. These errors are hard to trace!

Well done for sticking with it :twisted:

phi_t_thuy

#6 Post by phi_t_thuy »

Hi L18L,

Today, I have occasion to come back to my previous question, by running with 'pfix=ram' and reinstall UNIKEY.
echo "sed -i 's/TELEX/VNI/' /root/.unikey/options" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local

added to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

works fine! I can type VNI now in Abiword :D

Thank you,

darkcity

#7 Post by darkcity »

great stuff, good to know its working ; -)