wary 5.1.1 Cant shutdown?

Booting, installing, newbie
e_mattis

rc.shutdown written to

#21 Post by e_mattis »

Hopefully this is the best place to pose this question (if not, I am sorry :( ) -

Using Lucid 5.2.8 on AMD Duron with 750 MB ram system

I've added a line to the rc.shutdown script at line 47 (just before "clear" and "exec 1> /dev/null 2>&1" lines) to shutdown xampp. it seems to work well, the problem is now when I reboot or poweroff the machine the system performs a filesystem check on boot. :?

To clarify, system shuts down (shutting down xampp first) with no noticable changes/differences. Upon boot, the system performs a filesystem check (every time).

It's not much more than a hinderance :roll: at this point, but it does ssllloooowwwww the boot process as it also performs a filesystem check on the personal storage file.

Question is, does the line need to be placed somewhere else in the script? Should I place the line in each of the wm scripts? Is there a better way of doing this I have not found yet?

All help is appreciated :D

Thanks!

nubc

#22 Post by nubc »

You have an older computer that may have power management issues. Navigate to /boot/grub/menu.lst in ROX. Open the text file menu.lst, and add 'acpi=force' to the kernel boot parameters. Be sure to Save the edit before exiting.

Code: Select all

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=normal acpi=force 
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 314#671314
EDIT: Sorry, CatDude, didn't see your post above, suggesting same.
Last edited by nubc on Mon 21 Jan 2013, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.

e_mattis

#23 Post by e_mattis »

Thanks nubc,

I tried the code, but it didn't fix the problem; still does filesystem check at boot. Went back into rc.shutdown and moved the 'exec' line to after the "clear" and other code lines, got same result - filesystem check at boot. Commented out the 'exec' stopping xampp manually and rebooted - no filesystem check.

I am going to try "walking" the exec file down in rc.shutdown to see if I can find a place where it doesn't effect boot. after that, i guess i will try it in each of the wm scripts and see what happens.

Meantime, any more ideas/solutions are welcomed :D

[update] So, placed the 'exec' line down to about line 93, just before the ". /etc/rc.d/functions4puppy" line and it seems to have helped. No more filesystem check. unless I find something different, i would say this one is solved. thanks for the assist!

E