Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Apr 2014, 23:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Where is my OS residing? SOLVED!
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
Javelin Dan

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan 2013, 10:28    Post subject:  Where is my OS residing? SOLVED!
Subject description: Rebootable Puppy doesn't show up as Partition in Gparted

Running Lucid Pup 5.2.8 on a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop; 18 GB hard drive, 512 MB RAM, Pentium III processor.

This is just a curiosity I was hoping someone could explain. This box is strictly a learning toy and has nothing on it I care to save. I’ve changed the OS on it more times than I can count, and recently, I had Plop installed so I could boot from USB several various OS’s I wanted to try. When I removed Plop and tried to reboot, I got some sort of command line message telling me there was an error (sorry, I didn’t record the message. This has happened many times before often requiring me to reinstall the OS). However this time, I simply typed “reboot” and it did reboot to my usual desktop with everything completely functional. For some reason I can’t remember, I went into Gparted to view my partitions, and to my surprise I saw that it showed 16.94 GB as unallocated with no other partitions showing! I figured somehow I must be running only in RAM, and fully expected it to crash on reboot. But it rebooted! About 4 successive times since then. There is no CD, no USB, and apparently no partition. When I originally installed this OS, I did so to about a 15 GB ext.3 bootable partition, with about a 1GB Swap file partition. And now the entire hard drive shows up as unallocated. Where is my puppy hiding?

Last edited by Javelin Dan on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 09:56; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan 2013, 10:43    Post subject:  

Here is what I think is happening: Your partition table has gotten corrupted so Gparted can't find any partitions. But the actual data on the hard drive is still there.

Your Plop bootloader ignores the partition table and finds Puppy in the usual place on your hard drive.
starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan 2013, 13:07    Post subject:  

What rcrsn51 said.

Along with a warning.

If you decide to create a new partition table, do try and copy over everything important first -- a drive with a new partition table is a blank drive!

...also, the obvious: you must boot from removable media (CD, USB) in order to create the partition table. If you attempt to wipe the drive you're running from, you WILL get an enormous mess -- it will only partially work, and you will get both a very badly broken operating system (if there's anything left of that, or any data really at all), and a very badly broken partition table. At that point I'd recommend giving the drive a few hours with Darik's Boot And Nuke (DBAN, google will help you there) for a secure format before proceeding.

Remember the old practical joke about typing "format c:\" at an MS-DOS prompt? This would be worse. Much, much worse...

Javelin Dan

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan 2013, 13:10    Post subject:  

Yeah but here's the kicker - I totally uninstalled Plop and am booting out of the Grub menu.
JustGreg

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan 2013, 13:17    Post subject:
Subject description: Your Master Boot Record has been written over

Probably one of the boot loaders that you have used was installed itself to the hard disk. The installation of the boot loader wrote a new Master Boot Record (MBR) and destroyed the hard disk partition table. The MBR is the first 512 bytes (first sector) of the hard drive along with the partition table. A "good" boot loader makes a copy of the original MBR and stores it some place.

When you un-installed PLOP, it probably restored the original MBR allowing Grub to work.

I hope this helps

Javelin Dan

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan 2013, 13:19    Post subject:  

Sorry Starhawk, I didn't know you were there when I last posted. I have a copy of D-ban, used it many times. You recommend this before a fresh install I take it? Easy enough to do and good to know. While I'm at it, why does installing Plop usually take out my installation of Grub? I usually have to at least re-install Grub, but occasionally have to re-install the entire OS.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan 2013, 13:25    Post subject:  

Javelin Dan wrote:
Yeah but here's the kicker - I totally uninstalled Plop and am booting out of the Grub menu.

The same applies to GRUB.

Javelin Dan wrote:
While I'm at it, why does installing Plop usually take out my installation of Grub? I usually have to at least re-install Grub, but occasionally have to re-install the entire OS.

They both place their own boot code in the MBR of the hard drive. So one erases the other.
starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan 2013, 14:22    Post subject:  

Javelin Dan wrote:
I have a copy of D-ban, used it many times. You recommend this before a fresh install I take it?

Only if and when you've tried that fresh install and it's botched -- and even then only if you know it's botched because the drive is full of junk.

Javelin Dan

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan 2013, 17:09    Post subject:  

OK, thanks to all for clearing this up. I think I'll just start out with a fresh install - been meaning to try Puppy Precise as a permanent install on this machine anyway. It's interesting, so far Lucid 5.28 rocks on this computer better than any other OS I've tried. Youtube playback is better than anything I've tried, including Wary. But I keep searching...
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: