my keyboard does not work right in Puppy 1.0.4

Please post any bugs you have found
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#1 Post by GuestToo »

there seems to be some sort of delay
this is awkward if you hold the delete key down to delete some characters, because it doesn't stop deleting as soon as you release the key

it takes several seconds for the shift-lock to turn the light on/off

if the shiftlock light is off ... i can press the shiftlock key, and the shiftlock light comes on ... but the scroll lock light turns on too ... if i press it again, it doesn;t do any thing, the light is still on ... if i press it again, the scroll lock light goes out, but the shift lock stays on ... if i press it again, the shift lock light goes off

also, i can turn the numlock key light on/off by pressing the numlock key ... it doesn't change the numeric mode though

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

the keyboard seems to work normally if i shut down X windows

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

You are very lucky because you have a Puppy Master there to solve the cause (you!)

:)

One of the reasons I start afresh with each Puppy is I know how heavily I tweak and configure. If you find or work out why your keyboard is not working it would be interesting to most of us (well me at least) how you set about solving this mystery?

The only rather clumsy suggestions from me are:

1. Does this happen on a clean boot (not from your settings)
2. With another keyboard

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

i tried it with a new pup001 file

no difference

i tried it with a fairly new usb keyboard
(i usually use an old compaq ps2 keyboard, very heavy, made mostly of metal, no win key)

no difference

atang1

#5 Post by atang1 »

Sounded like memory management problem. Add more memory in the execution area. Old Puppy has only 9 mb. May need over 16(based on Mandrake 9.2) for newer Puppy.
Last edited by atang1 on Wed 20 Jul 2005, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

#6 Post by Guest »

Sounded like memory management problem. Add more memory in the execution area. Old Puppy has only 16 mb. May need over 32 for newer Puppy.
WTF ?

atang1

#7 Post by atang1 »

Win95 only need 8 mb of total dram; WinMe require 32 mb of dram. WinXp require 128 mb of dram.

The execution area is from address 100 to 640 kb(real mode). But each tabbed window requires 640 kb. But for Linux you have prefetched compressed data that need decompression. Then you have encription key, etc.

So, Barry has to look at why memory constraint may slow down the keyboard response? Memory management is to dump the historic data to be able to speed up the computation or mouse or keyboard response. If I recall correctly, he shrank the original Mandrake allocation from 16 mb to 9 mb{protected above 1 mb boundary but it is the dram(not hdd) virtual memory or swap file}.

When you don't have enough protected memory or swap file, x-window can not be used.
Last edited by atang1 on Thu 21 Jul 2005, 08:27, edited 5 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Keyboard feedback

#8 Post by Lobster »

I know you have a fast connection
- so I am sure you have tried the different versions of Puppy and done checksums?

Is there anything weird (some sort of BIOS settings) about your computer?
Is there anyway you can check (you must know all this but it may jar an idea)
what is happening in terms of what is running (clock cycles)?

In other words how often is the keyboard being read and why should it be readless in 1.0.4?

Keyboard and mouse is basic . . . m m m . . .
You have tried running the CD on another computer - it works on mine so . . .

I am kinda stumped
This sounds weird but (just a hunch) could the battery in your PC be going
and could that be interfering (yes I know they recharge - I am reduced to straws here . . .)

Come on guys - this is a Puppy Master - how often do we get a chance to offer them advice - usually the other way around . . .

PS. Hi Bladehunter, Hi Atang - play nice
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 21 Jul 2005, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

it seems to be an X problem
it works ok when i kill X, so the bios and kernel are probably ok (though the kernel may not be playing well with X)

i thought i would see if anyone else was having keyboard problems

it would help to know what changed from 1.0.3 to 1.04, and Barry would be the one who knows that

i think the kernel is a different version, and gtk is now 2.4 (by the way, i didn't realize i had a TEA experiment still installed ... it showed up in my Icewm menu, and works ok now ... i wonder if gtk-Nethack would work in Puppy 1.0.4)

i md5sum'ed the iso of course, and also checked that vmlinuz, image.gz, and usr_cram.fs has the same md5sum on my hard drive as the files in the iso

and top doesn't seem to show unusual cpu useage

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

GuestToo,
I think probably the problem is due to the new Xvesa server -- I recompiled it with "X keyboard extension" enabled.
I had to do that to fix a bug in the GDK 2.4 library -- which causes left-to-right text entry in the text editors -- see the News page. It does that if the X server doesn't support the X keyboard extension.

However, this seems to have introduced a new problem...
it may be that we need some other files to properly support XKBD (X keyboard extension).

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

I just tested delete key and shift-lock in Beaver, there is no delay, it works normally.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#12 Post by Lobster »

GuestToo wrote:it seems to be an X problem
i thought i would see if anyone else was having keyboard problems
One other person (using a laptop) has reported similar problems (I think under beginners section)

My gut feeling is that Chubby Puppy is the most reliable and I wonder if it was created last and which 1.0.4 version you were using G2 and if Barry introduced any minor tweaks during its creation . . . ?

In the olden days I used to have a BBC co-processor using a 1086 intel chip (I think it was)
- half way between a 8088 and 286
this was only 80-90% PC compatible but a lot of programmers used it because if it ran on that - it ran on anything

I wonder if there is similar hardware to be recommended today? Oh - why bother - let us just get G2 up and typing - keep us informed GuestToo

(I shall now go and gibber in the corner)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

#13 Post by Guest »

Nah I'll just leave it be.........His own comments do better to illustrate his complete misunderstanding of the difference between real moe and protected mode and segmented 16 bit addressing and the flat 32 bit model and the fact that DOS and Linux are completely diferent beasts.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#14 Post by JohnMurga »

bladehunter wrote:

Nah I'll just leave it be.........His own comments do better to illustrate his complete misunderstanding of the difference between real moe and protected mode and segmented 16 bit addressing and the flat 32 bit model and the fact that DOS and Linux are completely diferent
beasts.
Lobster almost deserves a warning ;-)

bladehunter always plays nice

Either way I am watching ... There are people who contribute, are valuable and a joy to have around - There those who are not.

I do not have problem doing what has to be done.

I have watched bladehunter endure crap from Atang1 and others while still providing some great contributions, so all I need is a word from him and Atang1 (who has warnings for his behaviour anyway) is history.

I may have stated this before on IRC, but I do so here for the record.

Cheers
JohnM

#15 Post by Guest »

Atang1...

Leave him be....Maybe one day he'll hopefully realise that some of his ideas aren't quite right, it may just be from a little bit of misunderstanding of articles he has read, too many readings and getting technologies mixed.
He does seem to have knowledge of some advanced technologies, but IMHO, sometimes I get the impression he maybe a armchair linux user. I know for one if he could back up some of his comments with links to hard facts that it maybe a little easier to endure.

So I say lets give the guy a chance....who knows we may all become civil and cultivate online working relationships that prove to be fruitful...

I think our favourite custacean's serenity is having an affect on me :lol: