Wow things have really changed

Booting, installing, newbie
SleepySam

Wow things have really changed

#1 Post by SleepySam »

Have not been here since around 2006 - 2007. At that time I was using Puppy to run on some old Pentium II PCs to run SETI and Protein Folding programs for our schools computer club. I've installed and used many distro's but my focus has been on Ubuntu. But in my opinion Ubuntu has really gotten off course - the whole Unity desktop - etc. Just too much junk.

So I am very happy to see a rich Puppy environment - great job. First up for me is to replace/rebuild my current Ubuntu server which I use for serving Samba shares (Pentium 4 2.3GHz). I also plan to run Cups on it as well. And finally I want it to be headless and just remote in as needed. So for that I'm leaning towards Precise Puppy ------ any concerns or recommendations there ?

Next up is my Pentium Dual Core which is a dual boot windows - ubuntu. Want to replace ubuntu with one of the Puplets ..... perhaps. I need this system to be media ready for Audio - Video - burning DVDs - and general daily use on YouTube etc. Might even install Wine. Any recommendations here would be helpful.

I look forward to re-learning the Puppy way - building a few systems - and certainly checking out Puppy on a USB stick.

rcrsn51

Re: Wow things have really changed

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

SleepySam wrote:First up for me is to replace/rebuild my current Ubuntu server which I use for serving Samba shares (Pentium 4 2.3GHz)..
Read here.

tlchost

Re: Wow things have really changed

#3 Post by tlchost »

SleepySam wrote: So for that I'm leaning towards Precise Puppy ------ any concerns or recommendations there ?
I found that Precise is problematical:
It does not support some Intel AUdio Chips;
No one leading the development of Precise has answered numerous
requests for explanations, help in fixing the issue.

There have been other users showing up in the #puppylinux IRC channel with similar problems and lack of help.

But, YMMV
I look forward to re-learning the Puppy way - building a few systems - and certainly checking out Puppy on a USB stick.
Slacko works here very well on a bootable USB that I carry with me between, office, home, laptops, various universities and customer sites.
Of course it's eally boring, since it works out of the box.

Fabio T

#4 Post by Fabio T »

tlchost,

what is Intel Audio chipset that Precise don't support?

gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

Have not been here since around 2006 - 2007. ...
Yes, 2007 there are some really tremendous advances that have occurred. In 2011-12, From my point of view, there were 3 distros which moved the all-inclusive desktop needle forward.

2 of them were 64bit distros while one of them is 32bit. Here's why I reference them. They are built as OOTB solutions (distro) where if you did nothing else after the ISO download, you would be able to do just about everything that you get from a Microsoft/Apple PC. That is an OOTB with only the need to tailor your system. Not download anything to use as a replacement for Windows/OSx.

On all PCs
32bit - FATSlacko. This version of Slacko from the Slacko author is feature rich as it has Sharing built-in and it has a full-Office package along with all the multimedia stuff one gets from a normal Slacko install. Expect stability, here

Only if you have PCs with a 64bit processor
64bit - Lighthouse64 Mariner. This version of Lighthouse64 from the Lighthouse64 author is also very-very feature rich as well. It has all of the same basics that FATSlacko contains, along with some additional goodies. Expect stability, here, too.

64bit - FATDOG V6.11+. This version is NOT as feature rich as the above mention distros, but come with sharing and a several additional tools that the others do not have in the multimedia area. Its Lightning FAST! BUT BE FORE-WARNED: If you are familiar with any modern Puppy structure, this distro could be confusing as if has a profoundly different approach. So, should you want to consider this distro version, I MUST recommend you first read this document such that your travels will be a reasonably smooth one. Nonetheless, if you are returning from yester-year with a 64bit processor, this may be great starting point.

The idea that is being presented in this post is that these are 3 distros which has sharing already built into their base such that you can do most all of the same things you come to expect from Microsoft/Apple...Right Out Of The Box (OOTB).
Thus, as a starter system, you might find little need to install anything and to be instantly operational; almost without having to restart the system.

Hope this helps