Possible to use Puppylinux as a safe OS on a SD-card?

Using applications, configuring, problems
kattami

#21 Post by kattami »

Semme wrote:Kattami, does BankID's software work with the plugin on your system, and with which browser.. FF 18.0.1?
It worked in any browsers as long as I had java running and the java plugin was turned on. FF 18.0.1 I havent even tried. Probably have to try one of the new distros because last I looked in puppy package manager I saw only up to 15.0.1 in the Saluki repositories. Havent been in forum to find that version either.

Semme

#22 Post by Semme »

Psst.. Provided you've got the room- help >> about >> update should do it. If not.. FF's still- DEAD easy.

kattami

#23 Post by kattami »

Semme wrote:Psst.. Provided you've got the room- help >> about >> update should do it. If not.. FF's still- DEAD easy.
Thank you. This one is one of those tiny things that had passed over my head without me noticing. :-)

kattami

#24 Post by kattami »

After searching abit I found two interesing links about SD cards and if they have a hardware-based switch or not.

One link tells about some linux code one has to do to get around the lock on sd card.

Is the lock mechanism on an SD card hardware, firmware, or software (driver,OS) enforced?

The other link is a pdf explaining how this lock works, among other things. Some information about the lock on SD card is on pages 32 to 39.

SD Specifications Part 1 Physical Layer Simplified Specification

I dont understand some of the terms there but I did understand a few things.

Type I cards is easier to force erase than the type II cards.

So I have come to the conclusion that a remastered version of the distro I want to use installed to an SD card of type II or higher, with the switch on and only used for banking when necessary will at least be some good work to get into.

frozenorange

is unetbootin

#25 Post by frozenorange »

May use unetbootin to create a a no save os on a usb. Have used this with ubuntu before. Is reliable and doesn't save anything.

Uten

#26 Post by Uten »

I guess puppylinux is among the better ones when it comes to online bank services. It can be a bit of a hassle to keep it up to date, thought.

I use NoScript and adblock with the browser to lessen the security risk from unknown sites. Pay attention to the URL when you visit the bank site.

I also always use the hevy encryption option on my personal file. Rathern than having the browser update itself I like to download and make a special purpose browser sfs when there is a major update. I do the same for java. When I do I start with an new save file. It takes some days to update NoScript's whitelist, but I think that is a minor anoyance.

This is a resonable place to start if you want to remaster your own slightly custom puppy.

I have to use BankID to :)

Semme

#27 Post by Semme »

Uten, FYI >> NS's whitelist can be exported / imported. :wink: Check yer prefs..