[SOLVED] keepass2 installed, won't launch

Using applications, configuring, problems
trilobyte

[SOLVED] keepass2 installed, won't launch

#1 Post by trilobyte »

Puppy 5.4.3 Precise

So I used the Puppy package manager to get the 15 or so dependencies for keepass2 and then keepass2 itself. I didn't see any errors along the way.

I've got a keepass2 menu item under Utilities in the Puppy menu (lower left corner) and a file named keepass2 (permissions 755) in /usr/bin. After I click either one, NOTHING happens.

It's stuff like this that keeps me from blowing away my Micro$oft Window$ partition. :evil: I'm trying to like Linux, but this sort of problem is the rule rather than the exception in Linux.

Any ideas for getting keepass2 to run in Puppy 5.4.3?
Last edited by trilobyte on Wed 23 Jan 2013, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

I would assume that if you ran a version of Ubuntu and installed keepass2, it would work as expected.

But Puppy Precise is not just a stripped-down version of Ubuntu, even though it claims to be Ubuntu-binary-compatible. There is no guarantee that Puppy's package manager can successfully install a complicated Ubuntu app.

From the command line, run "keepass2". Do you get any error messages?

If you search the forum, you will find alternatives to keepass2 that may work better in Puppy.

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Try'n load a terminal: /lib/ld-linux.so.2 --list /path/to/keepass2/executable

trilobyte

#4 Post by trilobyte »

@rcrsn:

in a terminal

Code: Select all

# keepass2
/usr/bin/keepass2: line 2: /usr/bin/cli: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/keepass2: line 2: exec: /usr/bin/cli: cannot execute: No such file or directory
There is no guarantee that Puppy's package manager can successfully install a complicated Ubuntu app.
I will try to put this civilly: I find it disingenuous that a distro would put a program in their package manager that wouldn't install successfully.

in a terminal:

# /lib/ld-linux.so.2 --list /usr/bin/keepass2
/usr/bin/keepass2: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/bin/keepass2: invalid ELF header

I don't know how to copy text from a terminal into the clipboard in Puppy, so I typed all the above in by hand. I think there are no transcription errors.

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Provided you've got the libs, run this below >> clk the menu item >> tell me what I wanna hear..

ln -s /usr/bin/mono /usr/bin/cli
$Mind you, it's- *sss*low to fire..

trilobyte

THANKS @Semme!! It worked!

#6 Post by trilobyte »

I don't know how ordinary people are supposed to ever figure this stuff out. I'm trying to learn Linux (watching tutorial videos, reading docs at sites like TLDP, etc.) but I think it'll be years before I'll be able to solve a problem like this myself.

keepass2 was a big deal for me because I have it in Window$, Linuxmint on my internal HD, Linuxmint on a portable external HD and Linuxmint on a USB flash drive. Now all I have to do is put keepass2 on my portable external HD that has Puppy on it and my passwords will be available no matter what I boot from.

Thanks for your help @Semme. I hope this post will help other people in the future.

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Good! I'll tell'ya though, it's <wink> not always know-how that gets us through..

trilobyte

#8 Post by trilobyte »

Hi @Semme,

Your link to the page http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Update_Mono_on_Ubuntu isn't totally helpful because it contains broken links. Specifically,

http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/sources/mono

and

http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/sources/ ... se.tar.bz2

are broken.

I was able to determine that the latest stable version of Mono is 2.10.9 on 26 Jan 13 by poking around on http://http://mono-project.com/Main_Page

I guess keeping package managers up to date is a tough job because when I tried to get Firefox from the Puppy package manager, it failed to download the rather obsolete Firefox 16.0.1. I was able to install Firefox 18.0.1, make it my default browser and even make a menu entry for it, complete with 16x16 icon. So I am slowly learning Linux.

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Lastly you need a symlink to let binfmt-support execute mono executeables directly from the shell:

ln -s /usr/local/bin/mono /usr/bin/cli
.. is *why* I linked it. Precise covers the 12.04 repos. Updates.. when and if- needed. Keep in mind, Pup's still Linux under the hood. Where there's a will, there's a way. Pkgs not listed in the repos, meaning elsewhere around the web, usually have install instructions all their own.

In fact, with a copy of FF already in place, you can just as well overwrite the files in /usr/lib/firefox to upgrade.

bjoenn

#10 Post by bjoenn »

Semme wrote:Provided you've got the libs, run this below >> clk the menu item >> tell me what I wanna hear..

ln -s /usr/bin/mono /usr/bin/cli
$Mind you, it's- *sss*low to fire..
Hello, semme!
Me too thinks, this has to be moved into some tut on how to run programms with/under Mono?!! :idea:
Was really helpful for me too: thanks alot!!

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

Nah, think I read it was/is a bug with one of monos deps omitting the symlink..

All the same- happy to see you found it useful.

cyrilfb

Thanks!!!

#12 Post by cyrilfb »

This solved the problem immediately. I know some linux but this had me stumped. Thank goodness for Google.