"Bad EIP value" when trying to install Puppy (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
BartSr

"Bad EIP value" when trying to install Puppy (Solved)

#1 Post by BartSr »

Hello,
I try to install Puppy on an old Compaq laptop (Armada 1592DT).
I tried every type of puppy command, but it tells me bad EIP value and then it stops.
What can be wrong? Maybe no memory enough?

Bart

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Do you mean you were trying to enter a boot code, right when Puppy begins to boot from the CD? Do you only get the error message after you hit the Enter button?

How much RAM does the computer have? 256 MB should be enough to boot from CD and run. (Unless you're trying to use Fatdog64 :lol: )

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

Specs here --> http://www.cnet.com/laptops/compaq-arma ... 78678.html

That thing has a Pentium MMX in it, running at 233MHz. Base RAM is 32mb, with a maximum of 96mb.

BartSr, if you cannot upgrade to anything -- even a Pentium II or Pentium III laptop would be far, far better here -- then you're going to have some problems. You CAN run Puppy. But you will be limited, simply by the age of your processor, to one of two Puppies.

ClassicPup is one. It will be quite slow -- while it's made to run on really old computers, I don't think it's made to run on computers nearly this old, and it's got a lot of "special effects" -- what I call "flashy stuff" that really slows things down.

The other is pUPnGO 2012. There are two models to know about here -- one is the 'regular' pUPnGO 2012, the other is a version with extras. This is what I'd recommend. Start with the 'extras version' and find something with a speed you can tolerate. If all else fails, switch to the 'regular' version. IIRC the 'regular' version doesn't have working wireless network support, but on this laptop you really don't need to worry about that.

In ANY case, you're going to be very very limited in what you can do with this computer. You will want to repartition the hard drive (before installing) and make a swap partition (for 96mb RAM, you would want a 416mb partition). You really do need to upgrade the RAM (if you're in the US, I'm pretty sure I can send you something compatible). I can help you find listings on eBay that will get you the RAM you need.

Keep in mind that any sort of real multimedia (eg Adobe Flash, HTML5, really even higher-quality MP3s) are going to chew up your processor and spit it out. I cannot emphasize enough how low-spec what you've got really is. If you can upgrade at all, you should.

BartSr

#4 Post by BartSr »

Hello Flah and Starhawk,

Thanks for your quick response.

I meant that Linux would also work on old computers. but now I see that it does not on machines that old ...

Now I'm going to do the same with another one: a Dell Latitude S510. On that one I want to install Puppy as the only operating system. Can I use the
lupu-510.iso to do the same trick?

Bart

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

Bart, part of what I was saying was that you could run Puppy on that old laptop, albeit a very stripped-down one -- it just wouldn't be able to do much because the world has moved on to newer, more powerful technology -- and the expectations that come with that tech.

Also, with this Dell Latitude you mention, I see specs online for a D510 and for an E5510 (often referred to just as a 5510) -- but no S510. Could you check your model number just to be sure? If it IS correct as S510, we'll need some specs off that laptop before we can know what it will run best.

BTW, just out of curiosity, where are you located?

BartSr

#6 Post by BartSr »

Sorry, I made a mistake. It is a Latitude D510 , with a Intel Celeron processor 1,4 Ghz 500 Mb and a diskdrive of 40 about Gb.
I want to remove Windows XP and only work with a Puppy version of a Linux operating system on it

I live in The Netherlands, also known as Holland, in a small city named Hardenberg.

Bart

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

Ah :D D510 makes more sense.

In what might be called another lifetime, I went to the Netherlands -- I have been in Amsterdam, The Hague, and Zaandam. You have a pretty country!

Most Puppies should run on that system just fine. You will want to avoid any that mention specifically having a feature called "PAE" -- this is not compatible with your processor. That should be your only worry.

A few notes --

If that processor is a Celeron 1.4GHz (for sure) then someone has been mucking around inside. Dell only lists one Celeron for that system, a 1.3GHz model. If *you* are up to replacing the chip (it's a little complicated) you should be able to put up to a 1.7GHz model in there. Search eBay for " SL8MP " (that's the ID of the processor) -- they look like they're pretty cheap (I'm in the US and most are under us$10).

Your laptop takes up to 2gb of DDR2 RAM. That's the most it can support -- sometimes the chipset will let you put in more than the manufacturer claims you can (my laptop is an Inspiron 6400 that can have up to 2gb according to Dell -- it's got 3gb in it right now and it's fine with that). Unfortunately (or not) 2gb is as high as you can go here, period.

If you buy RAM on eBay, be careful -- some of the memory won't "downclock" when it should, and sellers are very good at putting things in the wrong category so that they trip you up and you buy the wrong thing (they don't care!). In my experience, RAM is RAM -- brand doesn't really matter at all, and speed only matters for compatibility purposes.

You want RAM that's similar to this --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/2GB-2x1GB-DDR2- ... 0917890718

DON'T BUY THAT SPECIFIC ONE. It's in the USA. Buy something that's in the Netherlands so that you don't have super gigantic humongous enormous shipping times and plenty of customs fees on top. Above all DO NOT BUY FROM HONG KONG OR CHINA -- good heavens it'll take a month to get to you! (Not to mention the customs fees on top...)

As for the software end of things, to get this post back on topic -- I like a Puppy called Puplite5 and its newer version Akita Linux (both on this forum -- search for "Puplite 5.0" (get the Wary kernel version!); Akita is in the Puppy Derivatives subforum under "Advanced Topics"). If you don't like them, look around in the Puppy Derivatives section; you're bound to find one you like. Again, the only thing to watch out for is anything that says it supports/has a "PAE kernel" (or something like that). Those will not boot. (Carolina Linux and its slightly older sister project Saluki are two to avoid for that reason.)

Hope that helps!

BartSr

#8 Post by BartSr »

Hello Starhawk,

Thanks a lot for all the info you've send to me. Now I think to know enough to do the Puppy-job!

Bart

starhawk

#9 Post by starhawk »

Let us know how it goes ;)

Also: which Puppy did you pick?

rjbrewer

#10 Post by rjbrewer »

Latitude D510 came with 1.4 Celeron M or 1.73 Pentium
M.
The 1.4 M has a 400Mhz front side bus; the 1.73 has
533Mhz front side bus.
400fsb wil not run Pae kernel; 533fsb will.
No good reason to do so as the max ram of the laptop
is 2Gb.
If choosing to find and run the faster cpu, it would be
best to leave Win. on the machine in order to flash the
bios after the new cpu is installed.

I prefer Wary5.3 on older Dell laptops.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

starhawk

#11 Post by starhawk »

@rjbrewer -- a few things.

The chipset in that laptop is different for the Celeron M model. According to Intel (chipset manufacturer) you can't put a Pentium M in there, if it's got a Celeron. I'll be glad to link to that page. (It's a 910somethingorother chipset for the Celeron M model, not the more common 915somethingorother chipset...)

Also, the specs I found (I'll be glad to link to the PDF in question) clearly state a 1.3GHz Celeron in that laptop. TBH, I'm not sure which to trust in this case.

AFAIK, the entire line of Pentium M and Celeron M chips do not support PAE. I have a ThinkPad T41 (with screen from a T42) that has a Pentium M and no PAE. If you, yourself, have made it work, I'd love to see that -- could you upload a video to YouTube of such a system booting and then link to it here?

BTW, almost any Puppy will run fine on that system as long as it's not PAE, 64bit, or really demanding of system resources.

rjbrewer

#12 Post by rjbrewer »

starhawk wrote:@rjbrewer -- a few things.

The chipset in that laptop is different for the Celeron M model. According to Intel (chipset manufacturer) you can't put a Pentium M in there, if it's got a Celeron. I'll be glad to link to that page. (It's a 910somethingorother chipset for the Celeron M model, not the more common 915somethingorother chipset...)

Also, the specs I found (I'll be glad to link to the PDF in question) clearly state a 1.3GHz Celeron in that laptop. TBH, I'm not sure which to trust in this case.

AFAIK, the entire line of Pentium M and Celeron M chips do not support PAE. I have a ThinkPad T41 (with screen from a T42) that has a Pentium M and no PAE. If you, yourself, have made it work, I'd love to see that -- could you upload a video to YouTube of such a system booting and then link to it here?

BTW, almost any Puppy will run fine on that system as long as it's not PAE, 64bit, or really demanding of system resources.
You're pretty much ill informed about the D510.(and
other Dell laptops). You're getting the cpu and video
chip confused apparently.

1. It was available with a number of different celeron m
or pentium m processors.
Celeron m is basically pentium m without speedstep.

2. Only the M series processors with 400mhz fsb are
incapable of booting PAE kernel.
I have a few dells with 533fsb that will boot PAE.

http://notebooks.alwaiz-arts.com/dell-l ... specs.html

Full installs

starhawk

#13 Post by starhawk »

According to Wikipedia, Pentium Ms that are Dothan core and support a 533MHz FSB do indeed support PAE. I was not aware of that and I apologize for my mistake. (To be fair, there are no Banias core Pentium Ms that support a 533MHz FSB.)

However, we still have some other things to sort out...

http://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/prod ... 0_emea.pdf

Always go to the source when possible, particularly with this sort of thing -- if you'd looked at the Dell PDF, as in the link in this post, above, we wouldn't be arguing about this.

Note that it says in that PDF, 2nd page, under "Chipset" --
915GM -- Pentium M processor bases
910GML -- Celeron M processor bases
It also says, a little ways above that, under "Processor Type" --
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 730 (1.60GHz), 740 (1.73GHz)
Intel Celeron® M Processor 350 (1.30GHz, 1MB L2 cache)
The chipset in a computer is *generally* composed of two chips, called northbridge and southbridge, and it interfaces the CPU with the rest of the motherboard. The northbridge primarily handles integrated graphics (if present) and memory (RAM). The southbridge deals primarily with I/O -- PCI, ISA (if it's old enough) and ports like USB, FireWire, and Ye Olde COMport. The notable exceptions to the two-chip rule include SOME Via chipsets that integrate both north- and southbridge into one chip, AMD's habit of putting the memory controller on the CPU for no good reason, and newer Atom CPU/chipset combinations where graphics are handled on the CPU and the rest of the chipset is stuffed into one chip.

In this case, there are integrated graphics and a proper two-chip chipset, so that is part of the northbridge's duty, yes. However, I never said anything about that being on the CPU. In fact, I didn't bring up graphics at all.

Regarding CPU compatibility... here is Intel's page on the 910GML chipset. If you look on that page, you will see a heading on the right-hand side that reads "Product Information". Clicking the third link down, "Compare the features of this product" will take you to this page. On the left-hand side of the new page, click "Compatible Products". That should get you to a page that reads like this:
COMPATIBLE PRODUCTS
Compatible Processors
Intel® Celeron® M Processor 310 (512K Cache, 1.20 GHz, 400 MHz FSB)
Intel® Celeron® M Processor 320 (512K Cache, 1.30 GHz, 400 MHz FSB)
Intel® Celeron® M Processor 330 (512K Cache, 1.40 GHz, 400 MHz FSB)
Intel® Celeron® M Processor 340 (512K Cache, 1.50 GHz, 400 MHz FSB)
Intel® Celeron® M Processor 350 (1M Cache, 1.30 GHz, 400 MHz FSB)
Intel® Celeron® M Processor 360 (1M Cache, 1.40 GHz, 400 MHz FSB)
Intel® Celeron® M Processor 370 (1M Cache, 1.50 GHz, 400 MHz FSB)
Intel® Celeron® M Processor 380 (1M Cache, 1.60 GHz, 400 MHz FSB)
Intel® Celeron® M Processor 390 (1M Cache, 1.70 GHz, 400 MHz FSB)
Intel® Celeron® M Processor ULV 333 (512K Cache, 900 MHz, 400 MHz FSB)
Intel® Celeron® M Processor ULV 353 (512K Cache, 900 MHz, 400 MHz FSB)
Intel® Celeron® M Processor ULV 373 (512K Cache, 1.00 GHz, 400 MHz FSB)
Intel® Celeron® M Processor ULV 383 (1M Cache, 1.00 GHz, 400 MHz FSB)
Intel® Celeron® M Processor ULV 800 MHz, 512K Cache, 400 MHz FSB
Intel® Celeron® M Processor 600 MHz, 512K Cache, 400 MHz FSB
I do NOT see any Pentium M CPUs listed. Nor do I see them on the page I directed you to -- from which I copied the quoted list immediately above.

That is not to say that it's impossible -- simply that it's a really bad idea. The computer indeed might refuse to boot and simply beep at the user, if a Pentium M is installed. On the other hand, it might run acceptably for a while, but overheat the chipset.

I've done that before -- admittedly not with a Pentium M. I had a Socket 462 motherboard (AMD Athlon XP) that only supported CPUs up to 266MHz Front-Side Bus (FSB, the communications channel between the CPU and chipset). I had a 333MHz FSB CPU that I wanted to run in it. Two things happened: one, the CPU downclocked to accommodate a 266MHz FSB, and two, the chipset overheated -- and after a week or two of that, fried the onboard graphics. That happened twice before I learned my lesson. Mind you the motherboard is at that point utterly useless -- chipsets are never socketed, to my knowledge, and the way the chips are made and put down, a hobbyist like me has no chance with a soldering iron.

I am absolutely not going to tell our friend in the Netherlands to put a Pentium M in his laptop and potentially fry the motherboard in the process. That's bad practice and bad manners. That said, I think we've got enough information in his thread, so that if he wants to do that, he knows the risks involved.

rjbrewer

#14 Post by rjbrewer »

starhawk wrote:
Always go to the source when possible, particularly with this sort of thing -- if you'd looked at the Dell PDF, as in the link in this post, above, we wouldn't be arguing about this.
Thinking a 2 page pdf is providing adequate info is silly.
I always go much further than that.

The U.K. versions of the d510 were released with the
1.4 Celeron. No "mucking about" was necessary.

Pentium M 400fsb processors work just fine with 910GML
chipset and were used for upgrading early Celeron based
D510's without problem.

The Pentium M only uses 1/2 watt more power, and actually
runs cooler with the speedstepping that the Celeron
doesn't have.

Full installs

BartSr

#15 Post by BartSr »

The problem is now completely solved. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yesterday I could not reach this site and read your reactions, so I experimented with several Linux versions: Xubuntu, Slacko-Puppy 5,4 Firefox ,Puppy Akita Beta and LinuxMintMaya. And with all the same result, i.e. no result,

But in the last install - LinuxMintMaya - I discovered the problem, which is be found here: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_maya.php
It tells:

Boot hangs on systems using b43 wireless cards

So after entering this command

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
LinuxMintMaya works. And now I'm too sick and tyred to do some experimenting with Puppy. :cry:

Finally, thanks a lot for all your help!

Regards,

Bart

rjbrewer

#16 Post by rjbrewer »

B43 means Broadcom wireless cards, which are common
in older Dell laptops.
Most Puppies don't have a problem connecting with them.
I use them myself.

You will always be welcome here at Puppy .

Full installs

BartSr

#17 Post by BartSr »

Because LinuxMint boots very slow on my old Dell laptop, I removed it and installed Slacko 5.4 with Firefox, booting from HDD. No problems at all and it works fine. :D

Now I will open a new topic about who has experience with using Ms-Access ( = Windows) in a Linux Window

Bart