Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 21 Aug 2014, 08:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Slacko-5.4 feedback and bug reports
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 11 of 19 [281 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
8-bit

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jan 2013, 18:12    Post subject:  

I have a Compaq Presario with an AMD Athlon X2 4800 Dual-Core processor, 3 gigs of ram, and Nvidia GeForce 6150 SE Graphics.
I am running Slacko 5.4 final with comp-fusion.
I am getting a random suspend of both input and output both locally and on the net.
The suspend of IO is at random times and of random length.
When left alone, it eventually recovers.
Has this been looked into?
What, if anything can I do to remedy this?

Also, it seems to be restricted to that frugal install of Slacko 5.4 and does not show up in Lupu 520, Puppy 431, and Fatdog 6.11.

When I am typing a reply to a post on the forum, I get instances of the display of input text not keeping up with the keyboard, the mouse not selecting a clicked on item, and videos stopping or skipping.

If when typing, I continue typing, the display eventually catches up with the text the keyboard buffer contains.

So where do I go from here?
01micko

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jan 2013, 21:39    Post subject:  

Hello 8-bit

Quote:
I am running Slacko 5.4 final with comp-fusion.

Upgrade your video driver.

It's hardly fair to compare to other puppies which wont be running compiz!!! Compiz comes with appropriate warnings... ymmv.

Also, compiz often requires tweaking to xorg.conf and other settings. You'll have to search yourself. Compiz is provided as is.

8-bit

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jan 2013, 21:46    Post subject:  

I am already running an upgraded video driver for my Nvidia card that works fine with all the other Puppy OSes I have installed.
But as you say, comp-fusion has it's own set of problems.
So for bling, comp-fusion can be used.
But for a everyday reliable OS, one would stay away from the bling.

But I am still curious as to if others have suspend problems when running comp-fusion with Slacko!
SFR

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jan 2013, 16:01    Post subject:  

8-bit wrote:
But I am still curious as to if others have suspend problems when running comp-fusion with Slacko!

8-bit, I'm encountering similar symptoms, but not related to Compiz (you can read about it in my earlier posts here).
Do those suspends occur under JWM or any other WM too?

@ Mick:
Two tiny problems with features that probably aren't used by most of users, but they're still bugs...

Does anyone have noticed that 'right-click Trash icon > View Summary' displays empty tree, despite the fact that there are files inside?
/usr/local/apps/Trash/AppRun, lines 189-:
Code:
du -sb /$HOME/.Trash/* |sort -rn | sed -e 's/[^ ]*\t//'| while read line
 do cat "$line/Info" | tr '\n' '|' | sed 's/Item = /\n/'; done \
| sed 's/Name = //' | sed 's/Path = //' | sed 's/Size = //' | sed 's/Deletion Date = //' \
| sed 's/Type = //' | sed 's/Extension = //' | sed 's/Had desktop shortcut? = //' \
| sed 1d > /tmp/trashitems

That's still ok, but the next line:
Code:
cat /tmp/trashitems | sed -e 's/</?/g' | sed -e 's/>/?/g' > /tmp/trashitems

doesn't work as it supposed to, I guess.

Proposed fixes:
- To append those two sed commands to the above "long sed parade"
- Actually Gtkdialog won't mind if there will be < > chars in cat'ted string between <input>cat /tmp/trashitems</input> tags, so maybe delete the line completely..? (works for me)

ROX-Filer Panels: right-click a panel -> Panel Options won't bring dialog window.
Cause: lack of /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/Templates.ui file
I took one from some arch package (can't recall from where now) and it's fine now.

Greetings!

bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jan 2013, 17:11    Post subject:  

On any WM I experience Suspend troubles. I have to shut the whole thing down (forcefully) in order to be able to use it again.
gameboyab

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jan 2013, 18:27    Post subject:  

How do I seed the slacko-5.4-firefox-4g.iso torrent using Transmission? I downloaded the iso over http, because there were no seeders.
(I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section, but I posted here because this is where I found the Puppy torrent files at.

greenleaf

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan 2013, 05:55    Post subject: Error with NTFS drives  

Hello all. I'm new (from windows) to linux and have found I quite like the performance of puppy linux on a el'cheapo netbook. However I do seem to be having some problems when copying/transferring files between hard drives. Common factor is NTFS partition and Writing to said partition. It'll write (most of the time) fine AS LONG AS I don't do anything, like type or move the mouse much. so literally ANYTHING heh.

I tried out Slacko 5.3.3 and it doesn't seem to have that problem (but I much prefer 5.4). I've done a fair bit of learning (well, for one who knew nothing about linux) and my googling ninja skills have come up with the following idea.

Grabbing the ntfs-3g drivers from 5.3.3 (its a 2011 version of driver) and removing the new 5.4 ntfs-3g driver (2012). But I can't seem to find the 2011 .pet or am I missing something really obvious to the vast majority of you.

Thanks alot barry for coming up with the puppy concept, and mike for making it slacko (as out of all the versions of linux i've tried playing with, slackware seems to be the stablest) and suprisingly the comunity who seem to have ingenious work arounds <perhaps the greatest advantage of linux over windows?> that I'm sure would make bill gates glare Very Happy

The machine i'm on is an eMachines em350 and I'm writing to a 2tb seagate usb external hdd.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan 2013, 15:11    Post subject:  

Here is a PET for the ntfs-3g from Slacko 5.3.3.

But before running it on your big external HDD, I would test it on something safer, like an NTFS flash drive.
ntfs_3g_s533-2011.1.15.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  ntfs_3g_s533-2011.1.15.pet 
Filesize  194.25 KB 
Downloaded  111 Time(s) 
Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jan 2013, 10:34    Post subject: Slacko-5.4 feedback and bug reports
Subject description: Midnight Commander File Manager

I made pets and tested in slacko version 5.4 of the latest stable
Midnight Commander and it's dependency Slang.
It's working well for me.
mc-4.8.1.7-i686.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  mc-4.8.1.7-i686.pet 
Filesize  974.72 KB 
Downloaded  138 Time(s) 
mc_DOC-4.8.1.7-i686.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  mc_DOC-4.8.1.7-i686.pet 
Filesize  688.49 KB 
Downloaded  126 Time(s) 
mc_NLS-4.8.1.7-i686.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  mc_NLS-4.8.1.7-i686.pet 
Filesize  781.31 KB 
Downloaded  127 Time(s) 
slang-2.2.4-i686.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  slang-2.2.4-i686.pet 
Filesize  905.17 KB 
Downloaded  133 Time(s) 
slang_DEV-2.2.4-i686.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  slang_DEV-2.2.4-i686.pet 
Filesize  23.69 KB 
Downloaded  125 Time(s) 
mcscrn.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   76.34 KB
 Viewed   1009 Time(s)

mcscrn.jpg

gameboyab

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan 2013, 14:20    Post subject:  

Maybe I didn't get a reply because I wasn't descriptive enough.

How do I seed the slacko-5.4-firefox-4g.iso torrent if I can't download the file?

linucks

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan 2013, 23:20    Post subject: Wow
Subject description: Congrats!

Amazing... I love what this is doing to my toshiba portege m300 i picked out of the recycling! All it needed was some tlc and now it's my favorite laptop with Slacko, the best O.S.... plus it's awesome knowing that Slackware is running, since I was hoping to dive deeper into slackware for servers etc.. How much ram do I need to use the developer sfs packages?
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2013, 08:40    Post subject:  

npierce- from the 533 thread: wrote:
At http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=647385#647385,
Baldronicus wrote:
The problem:
A right-click on a clear area of the desktop (under the default configuration) brings up the menu, as expected. After this is cleared (by a left-click), subsequent right-clicks on the desktop icons (including the drive icons) result in the desktop menu appearing, as if they were right-clicks on a clear area of the desktop (or as if the icons were not there, or simply not identified).
A subsequent left-click (or in some/many cases two spaced left-clicks) on one of the icons results in it working as expected. Following this, right-clicking on the icons also works as expected (as if the "problem trigger" had been reset).
Another right-click on a clear area of the desktop recreates the problem, and subsequent left-clicking on an icon clears it again.

ETP wrote:
Bug confirmed. (Also exists in 5.3.3.2.) It would seem that we have all been living with it!
Minor as you say, but very confusing for anyone new to Slacko.

Jasper wrote:
It is the same with Slacko 5.3.1 . . .

That is the ROX-Filer "ungrab bug" (a.k.a. "multiple root menus problem"). This has been patched. See Barry's blog entry: ROX-Filer multiple-jwm-menus fix

Note that the .pet offered in that blog entry is no longer the latest ROX-Filer .pet. For the latest, see Barry's blog entry: ROX-Filer squashed log-window

But those .pets may not be best for use with Slacko, since 01micko reports that "For some reason rox needs to be compiled in Slacko or else Fido refuses to work." (See his comment under Barry's blog entry: ROX-Filer focus problem fixed) So it is probably best to compile on Slacko from the patched source, which can be found in the file rox-filer-20111022-patched3.tar.gz at http://bkhome.org/sources/alphabetical/r/.

EDIT: Also note that installing a .pet would have side-effects. For instance, your PuppyPin file would be overwritten with the PuppyPin used for Wary and Racy. So, again, it's best to compile your own from the patched source, or wait for someone to make a Slacko version of the .pet. (Even then, if you have customized your PuppyPin, you would want to back it up before installing the new .pet.)

Ok, I got Barry's rox-filer-20111022-patched3 source.. failed to compile BUT from the mailing list I noticed we need LIBS="-lm" (defeats a sqrt linker error) but also (and I figured this one myself Razz ) need the "-ldl".. so my compile line looks like--
Code:
LIBS="-ldl -lm" ROX-Filer/AppRun --compile
That successfully compiled rox in Slacko,

Thanks!

kevin bowers

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2013, 22:20    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Ok, I got Barry's rox-filer-20111022-patched3 source.. failed to compile BUT from the mailing list I noticed we need LIBS="-lm" (defeats a sqrt linker error) but also (and I figured this one myself Razz ) need the "-ldl".. so my compile line looks like--
Code:
LIBS="-ldl -lm" ROX-Filer/AppRun --compile
That successfully compiled rox in Slacko,
Thanks!

Have you posted the .pet? If so, where please? Thanks!

Kevin
01micko

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan 2013, 02:31    Post subject:  

Here are some updated pets, including rox-filer and jwm and jwmconfig2, many thanks to npierce for most of the bugfixes, JWM is the latest from Joe. Also. rodin.s has added i18n to jwmconfig2. I had to check some of that though as there are changes in JWM binary.

jwmconfig2 <-- http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-slacko14/jwmconfig2-130125.pet

jwm + jwm_menu_create <-- http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-slacko14/jwm-661-plus.pet

rox-filer from BK's latest patched sources <-- http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-slacko14/rox_filer-130126-s.pet

NOTE: JWM is still in development, the latest snapshot (662) is only hours old, so there is the possibility of bugs, please report. Also, there are a couple of minor issues with jwm_menu_create which will be fixed for the next release.

EDIT: there is a stability issue with jwm-662 so I have reuploaded it, should be better now. (has 661 binary now). This wont be in the next release anyway, as I said Joe is in development so hopefully will release a stable version soon.

You need to delete /root/.jwm/JWMRC to fix the minixcal/igucal calendar, Joe has changed the layers. After that run fixmenus, then restart jwm or X.

tallboy

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan 2013, 04:08    Post subject:  

I have played with Slacko 5.4, which probably is one of the best puppys I have used so far, congratulations! My favourite Stardust icons, gorgeous backgrounds and most of my preferred programs were there, and almost everything I have tried so far, just work! Only 164 posts in this thread is a proof of that! I may actually have to modify my signature, if/when I migrate from dpup to Slacko!

But, some problems:
1) One BIG: After downloading a few applications, like xpdf, seamonkey, lynx, gramps and some other apps, and tweaking them all to my liking, I tried to save back to the multisession CD. Oops, no save button, but the command savesession-dvd is there. It did not react at all when invoked from a terminal window, no feedback either. There is a save to CD/DVD option at shutdown, but as it didn't work from the command line, I would not risk losing all my work by shutting down without the possibility to save the session. Sadly, after trying to make things work, X suddenly gave up on me, no keyboard or mouse response, and I had to turn off my machine without saving. Crying or Very sad
Can someone please tell me why saving didn't work? Is there a reason that is connected to not having a save button, or a save command in the menu? Does it work on shutdown?

2) One small, but very annoying problem: When I click on an icon on the desktop, there is usually no reaction, I have to click a second time to get a program to open. The same often happen, when clicking a folder icon to open it.

3) There is also very often an incorrect reaction to a right-click on an icon. Instead of opening the ROX-filer window to edit an icon, it usually just open the big menu. Are these known issues? I think there was a 'clicktime' setting in an old debian, could a similar setting be related to this problem?

Compared to my dpup484beta4, the Slacko strangely feels a bit sluggish, almost like running on a PII processor, are there tricks to improve speed?

I have tested Slacko 5.4 on two different machines, one P4 with 768Mb RAM and the noveau driver for nvidia GeForce2 MX200, the other an AMD Athlon not with nvidia. I have had the same behaviour on both machines, also when using the Slacko without any modifications, straight from the .iso on the CD.

EDIT: I have to say, that I have concentrated more on writing my own post than reading the others in this thread. Had I done some reading first, I would have seen that most of my questions are answered. Sorry about that!

The question of saving to a multisession CD is still there, though.

tallboy

Last edited by tallboy on Sat 26 Jan 2013, 05:51; edited 3 times in total
Page 11 of 19 [281 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: