Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gcmartin

Console video font and display issue

#581 Post by gcmartin »

I have a current issue when booting using Live media. Seems that after reaching the Carolina desktop, the console (non-X text based console) fonts are very-very tiny and is replicated 3X across.

This is running from my laptop Pentium M 1.5 GHz with Intel video.

Is there something in either desktop or command which can be recommended? Is this a known problem with console session?

A system report is attached (needed to zip to upload).

Thanks in advance
Attachments
HardInfo_report.txt.bz2
Hardinfo report and Video-report of the laptop
(7.71 KiB) Downloaded 500 times

sheldonisaac

Re: Console video font and display issue

#582 Post by sheldonisaac »

gcmartin wrote:I have a current issue when booting using Live media. Seems that after reaching the Carolina desktop, the console (non-X text based console) fonts are very-very tiny and is replicated 3X across.

(I now think I misunderstood, sorry)

I booted this Dell D610 laptop Pentium M 2.13 GHz with Intel video from a 'lina-lite USB flashdrive with pfix=ram,nox ,

and the screen looked normal.

Marv

Re: Console video font and display issue

#583 Post by Marv »

gcmartin wrote:I have a current issue when booting using Live media. Seems that after reaching the Carolina desktop, the console (non-X text based console) fonts are very-very tiny and is replicated 3X across.

Is there something in either desktop or command which can be recommended? Is this a known problem with console session?

A system report is attached (needed to zip to upload).

Thanks in advance
Not sure, but this might pertain to the non-X session. It's from an Arch Linux setup on a laptop with identical video chip and lcd resolution.
The laptop's TFT panel features a resolution of 1280x800, which however is not present on the i915 chipset's BIOS and one has to use KMS to support this resolution mode.

The video card (Intel GMA 4500MHD) has been supported by xf86-video-intel since the version of 2.6.0.
The link to the KMS info is:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In ... _.28KMS.29
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Bligh

#584 Post by Bligh »

@gcmartin Thanks for the reply. That has not been an issue. If it becomes an issue, I can save to usb flash drive or sd card or copy a save file from a linux hdd to ext drive.
Cheers

gcmartin

FirstRUN cannot be found in Menus

#585 Post by gcmartin »

After the initial appearence of FirstRUN on initial boot, I cannot seem to find it.

Might it be made available in the Menu subsystem as well in the future?

Here to help

jpup

Happy New Year! virtualbox 4.2.6 r82870

#586 Post by jpup »

Happy New Year! :D

updated virtualbox to 4.2.6 r82870 for carolina 3.2.13-ski

includes extension pack...
guest additions ISO should be automatically detected now (on my previous package, I mistakenly placed the ISO in the wrong directory)

VirtualBox-4.2.6-82870-carolina-3.2.13-ski.sfs

VirtualBox-4.2.6-82870-carolina-3.2.13-ski.sfs-md5.txt

drag and drop seems to work on my backtrack guest, but not on my windows 8 guest

Thanks, Happy New Year! ;)
Attachments
vbox-4.2.6r82870win8.png
virtualbox to 4.2.6 r82870 running windows 8
(139.49 KiB) Downloaded 2722 times

xstylezx

#587 Post by xstylezx »

Hello, great release here with Carolina! Im just curious if there is a way to get chromium from this page to run?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 51&start=8

Shows some missing or incorrect version of glib if i remember correctly. The version in package manager is far to old to use as most extensions can't be installed and it lacks various other features I use from updates. Carolina and Lxpup are my favorites and I keep them both on thumbdrives, and latest chromium works on Lxpup. I love to use both puplets on different computers for various reasons, but really need to be able to have certain chromium extensions installed on both for syncing and other purposes. If this could be done or any help provided at all I'd be greatly thankful :D

gcmartin

Printer issues

#588 Post by gcmartin »

Anyone else having problems with Network printing?

My browser @localhost:631 is showing
Printer (Default Printer) "Filter "foomatic-rip" for printer "Printer" not available: No such file or directory"
for my printer.

Recommendations?

Colonel Panic

#589 Post by Colonel Panic »

Testing 0.0.5 out now;it's working well. I like the Christmas themed wallpaper as well!
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

jpup

carolina 0.0.5 firefox update

#590 Post by jpup »

the latest firefox update - version 18 seems to break carolina's firefox?
I've tried it also with a stock carolina 0.0.5 and it's stock firefox 16.0.1 and firefox doesn't want to launch anymore.

elroy

Re: carolina 0.0.5 firefox update

#591 Post by elroy »

jpup wrote:the latest firefox update - version 18 seems to break carolina's firefox?
I've tried it also with a stock carolina 0.0.5 and it's stock firefox 16.0.1 and firefox doesn't want to launch anymore.
This appears to be a bug in firefox 18. This bug has also occurred in a couple earlier version of firefox. Firefox 16.0.1 works from from a fresh install; if it's failing, it's probably due to the update being saved to your save file. Try a fresh save file with the stock carolina firefox 16.0.1 for the time being.

jpup

carolina 0.0.5 firefox update

#592 Post by jpup »

thanks for the info Elroy,
I'm Ok ;) good thing I have a packaged firefox 17.0.1 sfs with all my configs. It still works as long as I don't go with the update to version 18.

thanks

rcrsn51

Re: Printer issues

#593 Post by rcrsn51 »

gcmartin wrote:My browser @localhost:631 is showing
Printer (Default Printer) "Filter "foomatic-rip" for printer "Printer" not available: No such file or directory"
for my printer. Recommendations?
Have you installed the printer-scanner-drivers.sfs package?

don570

#594 Post by don570 »

When I installed the newest version of pschedule I got the
following mysterious warning...

Geoffrey

#595 Post by Geoffrey »

don570 wrote:When I installed the newest version of pschedule I got the
following mysterious warning...
That's because it's not a Carolina package and looks for the dependencies gtkdialog and cron.

I repackaged it without the dependency check, there are a number of packages that need to be repackaged specifically for Carolina/Lina.
Attachments
pschedule-1.1.2-carolina.pet
(6.43 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Geoffrey

#596 Post by Geoffrey »

Added new apps to the repo, see recent additions HERE
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

gcmartin

#597 Post by gcmartin »

Could AngryIP be considered for addition to the repo?

It is so easy to use especially since its pre-req is built in the Carolina base. I recognize that I could be ahead of myself as you may have already considered it for the next base.

Also, I think FlightGUI-Flight is a good candidate as well.

Thanks in advance

elroy

#598 Post by elroy »

Currently, we're looking at getting input from our users concerning which default applications Carolina-006 should use. Here are the categories:

browser
email-client
image-editor
image-viewer
music-player
video-player
text-editor
document-editor
spreadsheet-client

Please pm carolina with your choices.

don570

#599 Post by don570 »

I'd like two apps I wrote ( baconrecorder and Extract-pet)
to be included.

By the way I've just finished a gettext version of report-video .
It might be useful in Carolina if you wanted to slim down the distro.

Pete22

Firefox

#600 Post by Pete22 »

Hello Elroy,

FYI: I always move firefox out of my savefile when I set up a fresh install.
However, version 18 still corrupted it on two of the machines I am running.
One with carolina 05 and one with carolina lite 05.

:-(

Pete