DVgrab from Firewire input

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
MustardMan

DVgrab from Firewire input

#1 Post by MustardMan »

I would like to use Puppy (preferably from the v4 stream) to capture DV from an external firewire box (Canopus ADVC-100) using DVgrab.

I have looked around a lot, and some people are doing it (very few on Puppy though), but most people on Puppy are just using complete video editing packages (Kino, etc).

What I would like is something that simply runs command line to capture a file, and even nicer if it could use the 'at' command as well.

There are a couple of problems (I believe) with both these CLI programs...

DVgrab : I believe this needs certain modules compiled into the Kernel which Puppy does not have (raw1394 is one of them I think). I have no idea if a .pet can insert stuff into the kernel or not.

'at' : From my understanding this is a very useful, but not very popular, command. Similar to cron, but used for a 'one-off' job schedule. It needs a daemon to be set running when the OS starts - 'atd'. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0d02e044fe

I would like to be able to enter a command such as...
at 12:20 ... dvgrab ... -duration 10:00 ... file.avi

(at 20 past mid-day, record for 10 minutes)

Any thoughts on either or both appreciated.

Cheers,
MustardMan