How to have a first-run message if a Save file exists?

Using applications, configuring, problems
prehistoric

How to have a first-run message if a Save file exists?

#1 Post by prehistoric »

I'm setting up Puppy 5.4.3 on a flash drive I'm mailing to a friend. I've guessed at what his configuration should be, but I want him to read the first-run message in case things don't work out-of-the-box.

Can someone tell me how to make this message appear when a save file exists?

L18L

Re: first-run message

#2 Post by L18L »

prehistoric wrote:I'm setting up Puppy 5.4.3 on a flash drive I'm mailing to a friend. I've guessed at what his configuration should be, but I want him to read the first-run message in case things don't work out-of-the-box.

Can someone tell me how to make this message appear when a save file exists?

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/sbin/welcome1stboot /root/Startup
will display that message at every startup.
The link will have to be deleted later.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Also I think Puppy may give the first-run message if the hardware does not match the Save file configuration. Try configuring the flash drive then booting it in a different computer to see what happens.

prehistoric

#4 Post by prehistoric »

I was hoping Flash was right. That would be a classic BK feature that you never noticed until you needed it.

I booted the flash drive system on my Asus eeepc, which has very different video, hoping this would be detected as a new machine. Nope. The system successfully configured the video, etc. for a very different machine without bringing up the first-run dialogue box.

I've decided to send the configured flash drive unmodified, and include a bootable DVD with an unconfigured system in the box. I'll explain the problem via email, so he will know what to do when he gets it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Rats. Well, I thought I remembered that happening when I booted a multisession Puppy DVD in a different computer. Probably I misremembered.

prehistoric

#6 Post by prehistoric »

Not a big problem.

As for memory, sitting here with two machines on a KVM switch, both of which have changed recently, and running multiple OSes, also using the LAN to debug a new router (which has both wired and wireless connections, including a separate "guest" network, all to be installed elsewhere) often leaves me wondering just what is at the other end of my fingertips when I type. I'm not sure I remember which computer I'm dealing with, let alone which version of a particular OS.