modprobe may be doesnt work
i am turn off wifi and start with the nano /etc/wvdial.conf
may be this issue network manager [ double connection ]

i have save personal settting but it doesnt work i dont know why
after my system reboot i am must create wvdial.conf file again

how to change time? my time error
and how change display? my display is big

sorry my english bad [ not my primary language]
well let's get the saving working first. so you don't have to keep redoing it. is the /etc/wvdial.conf...the only file that's not saving? or are none of your changes being saved. if none of your changes are being saved....you should probably create a new save file. cause the one u're using now's....not working.

stifiling

#182 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:Steam Screenshots running in ArchPup. Installed it from AUR, and seems like only free
game for linux is Team Fortress which is 10GB :shock: A bit too much for me :lol:
If you want to try first move /root/.local/share/Steam to /mnt/home and then symlink it
to its original location.

Code: Select all

ln -s /mnt/home/Steam /root/.local/share/Steam
@mavrothal: I removed gtkdialog3 because sfs_load and grub4dos-config both work with
gtkdialog4. Did not know about that, until I've found info somewhere on this forum. So, I will
use original gtkdialog from Arch and just add links gtkdialog3 and 4 pointing to the same file (version 0.8.3).
that steam client is looking nice. wonder if netflix is easily installable. it's in the AUR, but i don't have a netflix account to test it with.

mavrothal

#183 Post by mavrothal »

With 132 approaching, one thing you may want to consider is if 132 could be applied as an update over 12.12 or if is going to work only with a fresh savefile.
Archpup does not have an rc.update so may be tricky to remove installed user files/packages that may conflict with or just mask some of the 132 files.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

stifiling

#184 Post by stifiling »

Barebones puppies are appearing to be on a rise. looks like the adrv was implemented not a minute too soon. they're not as popular as a full working environment iso, but still popular enough to want to target the audience. Very nice that ArchPup has both, for both audiences.

simargl

#185 Post by simargl »

mavrothal wrote:With 132 approaching, one thing you may want to consider is if 132 could be applied as an update over 12.12 or if is going to work only with a fresh savefile.
Archpup does not have an rc.update so may be tricky to remove installed user files/packages that may conflict with or just mask some of the 132 files.
Yes savefile must be created over, but it's possible to backup /root folder somewhere, then
create new savefile and return /root with all settings back again. What ever rc.update
tries to accomplish, I think it's impossible, with major version change only making new savefile is logical.

mavrothal

#186 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote: savefile must be created over.
You may want to put that in bold letters on the next release announcement.

(You may also want to consider an update path for the future.
Does not make a lot of sense to be forced to start afresh with every new release.
What rc.update tries to do is pretty evident. Just tries to protect critical files from being overwritten by savefile files.)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

simargl

#187 Post by simargl »

mavrothal wrote:Just tries to protect critical files from being overwritten by savefile files.
Is savefile from Puppy Linux based on Ubuntu 10 compatible with one based on Ubuntu 12? I guess not.
Well this is similar change, using the same file is off course wrong; unless you didn't install any package...
So savefile from 12.12 is compatible to 12.12.2, but not with 132 :!: and cannot be,.

mavrothal

#188 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:
mavrothal wrote:Just tries to protect critical files from being overwritten by savefile files.
Is savefile from Puppy Linux based on Ubuntu 10 compatible with one based on Ubuntu 12? I guess not.
Well this is similar change, using the same file is off course wrong; unless you didn't install any package...
So savefile from 12.12 is compatible to 12.12.2, but not with 132 :!: and cannot be,.
I think that 2 years is a bit longer than 2 months... but beyond that, I would think that would be easier to update in arch with pacman.
Basically if DISTRO_SPECS is different in initrd and savefile you check if packages have been installed in the savefile/var/pacman/... and compare with the ones in the new archpup version.
If different version, remove them or copy over the new distro ones.
The only other thing you want is to make sure is that critical /etc/ files are not overwritten by the savefile version.
But if you think that is too much trouble or not an important function, never-mind.

simargl

#189 Post by simargl »

Anyone have seen this distro? http://live.linux-gamers.net/...based on ArchLinux and Iso size is 4.4Gig.
live.linuX-gamers.net is a Linux live distribution: "boot 'n play". The idea is for you to be able to carry a decent
amount of high-quality Linux games with you where ever you go for purposes of demonstration, gaming or parties.
So what do you think about ArchPup gamers edition :P Something like 700 MB iso image with games only. It shouldn't be too hard to
make - only replace archapps_132.sfs with new one made out of repacked Arch games packages. If someone is interested to work
on this send me PM and I will set you access to sourceforge mirror. Not bad idea I think

stifiling

#190 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:Anyone have seen this distro? http://live.linux-gamers.net/...based on ArchLinux and Iso size is 4.4Gig.
live.linuX-gamers.net is a Linux live distribution: "boot 'n play". The idea is for you to be able to carry a decent
amount of high-quality Linux games with you where ever you go for purposes of demonstration, gaming or parties.
So what do you think about ArchPup gamers edition :P Something like 700 MB iso image with games only. It shouldn't be too hard to
make - only replace archapps_132.sfs with new one made out of repacked Arch games packages. If someone is interested to work
on this send me PM and I will set you access to sourceforge mirror. Not bad idea I think
that sounds like a good idea sim, but shouldn't the distro be more user friendly first before 'spins' and 'twists' are added? it's still presently for geeks, and ppl who are 'determined' to use it. there's still reasons for an average user to say, "this is just too hard."

this is why i haven't done the xfce yet. to keep the focus on 'one' thing. the original archpup.iso until it's rock, concrete, solid...and most of these hardware complaints and lil errors, etc.....disappear.

pakwarung is a brand new user. and he should have only had maybe 1 question. instead though...he has about 5. "how to get my modem working? how to change the screen resolution? how to set the time? my settings aren't saving..."

pakwarung chose to create an account (which is a headache) and ask questions. the other 100 ppl.....didn't.

So yes, as friendly as it is, it's still not friendly enough...and that 'should' be the first goal.

ciento

#191 Post by ciento »

How about .sfs files for each large game, so un-needed resource hungry depencencies are not loaded? And smaller games bundled together
in genre specific .sfs?

puzzle
platform
racing
2D shooter
etc

Games-distro are a good idea.

For musicians, the basic pacman repo has
qjackctl, dssi, calf, zynaddsubfx, hydrogen, qtractor and ardour,
and audacity, installing about 8 synthesizers, a dozen+ fx,
a drum machine, connections gui,
a pair of DAWs, and an audio editor. Which works.

seps at the AUR, maintains a vast array of other multimedia apps
and dependencies. 8)

pakwarung

#192 Post by pakwarung »

stifiling wrote:
simargl wrote:Anyone have seen this distro? http://live.linux-gamers.net/...based on ArchLinux and Iso size is 4.4Gig.
that sounds like a good idea sim, but shouldn't the distro be more user friendly first before 'spins' and 'twists' are added? it's still presently for geeks, and ppl who are 'determined' to use it. there's still reasons for an average user to say, "this is just too hard."

this is why i haven't done the xfce yet. to keep the focus on 'one' thing. the original archpup.iso until it's rock, concrete, solid...and most of these hardware complaints and lil errors, etc.....disappear.

pakwarung is a brand new user. and he should have only had maybe 1 question. instead though...he has about 5. "how to get my modem working? how to change the screen resolution? how to set the time? my settings aren't saving..."

pakwarung chose to create an account (which is a headache) and ask questions. the other 100 ppl.....didn't.

So yes, as friendly as it is, it's still not friendly enough...and that 'should' be the first goal.
yes it is true...
i have headache to make archpup working with my modem [searching google a lot of time]
so maybe why ubuntu have a goal is free cd ,user friendly interface, many user on it, if many people using it probably make a lot of tutorial on internet... so newbie problem is done...

mavrothal

#193 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:but shouldn't the distro be more user friendly first before 'spins' and 'twists' are added? it's still presently for geeks, and ppl who are 'determined' to use it. there's still reasons for an average user to say, "this is just too hard."

<snip>

as friendly as it is, it's still not friendly enough...and that 'should' be the first goal.
I would tend to agree with this, but then I realize that Archpup is 90%+ Arch with 10%- puppy.
The terminal, the IDE editor and the knowledge of the inner workings of the system is your friend!

Looking at the numbers you see 12.12.2 has over 4000 downloads and still only one new "questioner".
You can also see that archapps has ~400 downloads and archdev ~200.
These "data" suggest
a) that Archpup is indeed downloaded and used by seasoned Arch/Linux users that know how to handle this minimal Arch version
b) that is downloaded by people that saw the reviews in some other sites (the weekly national distribution and the "spikes" are indicative), downloaded gave it a spin and then abandoned it.

Given that was downloaded mostly in linux systems, I want to believe that is "a".
If the response to 132 is equally "warm", this assumption is probably true, if not then "puppyfying" Archpup a bit more should be considered. :wink:

dennis-slacko531

#194 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

My incredibly insignificant website has a good feeling. Plus, my links are showing interest too... The site's embarrassing. :oops:

Nonetheless, they're rising. http://www.LNUX.com

Scooby

#195 Post by Scooby »

mavrothal wrote: Any chance that this is on a laptop with power management enabled?
Some laptops cut off power to the USB ports at sleep/suspend, and this can mess up things.
Is this a BIOS option? How can this be checked?

I dont think this was the cause because it was during a long hacking session.
I was there all the time.

Anyway I cant reproduce.

About the future of archpup

I need a lot of firmware supported out of the box. Getting net should be easy.

I want a window manager at start or at the last very clear cookbook instructions how to
get one onto my system

I don't want a lot of apps at start. That I think is up to the user to test like me with battery monitor. I dont think it should be on system from start.

For example I didnt like the spaceFM so I probably will try to re-install thunar with 132
Not a problem really.

What was the problem with Thunar anyway, never understood it?

mavrothal

#196 Post by mavrothal »

Scooby wrote: What was the problem with Thunar anyway, never understood it?
The problem is mostly with pup-volume-monitor, though thunar has its share too (try to see what is in your /proc folder)

simargl

#197 Post by simargl »

Here is one good news!
I've managed to patch viewnior :shock: to allow setting wallpaper in ArchPup. Wallpaper is set with
my old script wallpaper.sh: actually using small application imlibsetroot in background.
No need to mention - this will replace gpicview for next version.
Package is bellow, remove false gz and install with pacman -U pkgname. What do you think?
Attachments
viewnior-1.3-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz.gz
(61.17 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

Scooby

#198 Post by Scooby »

mavrothal wrote: The problem is mostly with pup-volume-monitor, though thunar has its share too (try to see what is in your /proc folder)
What does pup-volume-monitor do, detect usb when you plugg it?

I dont know what you mean check /proc. Upon check I saw nothing special?

simargl

I tried viewnior. Set a background, it worked. Wanted to set it back. I opened 3601.jpg
in /usr/share/backgrounds folder, tried to set it as backround, failed. furthermore when I checked that folder both 3601.jpg and default.jpg was gone?

Wot happened?

mavrothal

#199 Post by mavrothal »

Scooby wrote:What does pup-volume-monitor do, detect usb when you plugg it?
Yes. If you install thunar volman instead is much bigger with all the dependencies.
Scooby wrote:I dont know what you mean check /proc. Upon check I saw nothing special?
Do you see anything? Mine shows an empty directory. Apparently a known bug of thunar 1.6
Scooby wrote:Set a background, it worked. Wanted to set it back. I opened 3601.jpg
in /usr/share/backgrounds folder, tried to set it as backround, failed. furthermore when I checked that folder both 3601.jpg and default.jpg was gone?
I can confirm that.
Simargl, did you test it in 12.12.2 or in the upcoming 132?

simargl

#200 Post by simargl »

Hi Scooby, script wallpaper.sh allows only 2 files in /usr/share/backgrounds: one is default.jpg that is used as wallpaper and second
$RANDOM.jpg, that is wallpaper used before you set new one.I thought it would be bad to for example, if someone change 20
wallpapers, store them all in /usr/share/backgrounds and use some 10 MB in save file. So as images folder use anything except /usr/share/backgrounds.