mplayer issues (ABANDONED) though ..

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mercedes350se

mplayer issues (ABANDONED) though ..

#1 Post by Mercedes350se »

I downloaded/installed MPlayer-1.0rc2.pet from http://dotpups.de/puppy3/dotpups/Multimedia/
and all seemed to be well.

To complete the picture I am trying to get gsopcast running on a full HDD install of 3.01 - it didn't seem to want to work with xine!

The issues are:

1. If I click on mplayer in the menu two boxes appear, nothing in either and the machine freezes requiring a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to get out.

2. If I start gsopcast and select a stream it plays with issues - that is the reason for 1# to try and configure mplayer.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Last edited by Mercedes350se on Sun 29 Sep 2013, 07:25, edited 2 times in total.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Mercedes- are you running Xvesa or Xorg?

Run this line in a shell: ldd /usr/bin/mplayer

Any not founds? Total *B* on this old, outdated dog.

Leave me an example site or show in particular that doesn't quite play..

You have the space for say, VLC?

Mercedes350se

#3 Post by Mercedes350se »

I am running Xorg.

2 points regarding your ldd /usr/bin/mplayer command:

1. mplayer is installed in /usr/local/bin

2. the result of running ldd /usr/local/bin/mplayer showed nothing out of the ordinary i.e. no not founds.

Clicking on the mplayer icon in /usr/local/bin/mplayer does not seem to do anything!

If all else fails peruse the readme which says, in part, "To launch MPlayer with gui, run "gmplayer"."

Run gmplayer and I get the following:

# gmplayer
MPlayer 1.0rc2-3.4.4 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1700+ (Family: 6, Model: 6, Stepping: 2)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Hmm!

What does "mplayer: could not connect to socket" mean?

However "mplayer: No such file or directory" is more interesting because, as stated above, there is an mplayer icon in /usr/local/bin/ albeit just a "gear wheel" if that gives a clue.

I am a gsopcast noob so at the moment I am only playing with the information that comes up when gsopcast starts - I have just tried the same place Test Channel Group>star and for the short duration it was playing smoothly.

I have previously tried to install VLC without success in Feb, 2010 and again in Mar, 2011. There are threads on this Forum relating to both these attempts.

Edit: After posting this I was closing the open windows and came across a pop up box that stated something like Mplayer crashed - this should not happen - it could be a problem with ....

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

I recall you're working with older hw.. I'm feel'n a vibe here- it's 3.01 or bust, right? Any other players?

Mercedes350se

#5 Post by Mercedes350se »

Hardware is as follows:

AMD XP1700+ i.e about 1466MHz
1 GB RAM
MB is Asus A7V333
HDD about 320GB

I built it originally about 10 years ago with different MB, HDD and optical drive. It still does everything I want ...

Yes 3.01 is definitely the Puppy of choice! I also have frugal installs of 4.1.2 and macpup 5.2.8 but they are very rarely used.

Back to the mplayer problem I tried the version in macpup a couple of days ago and it freezes the machine - I cannot remember whether the normal escape sequence worked or whether I had to reboot.

Thank you for the link. It makes very interesting reading.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Tell me, outside of pets, what do you do use for installing software? tgz2pet? pkgtools?

Mercedes350se

#7 Post by Mercedes350se »

The only other software I have installed were .tgz.

My use for the machine is basic with occasional bursts to try something ...

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Mercedes- I have VLC :) running on my 3.01 frugal. Where'd you get the Sopcast pkg from?

Your video card vendor too if you would.. Intel? I'm guessing you've got OpenGL installed?

==
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.
*Solution >> nolirc=yes
==

I'm have'n my doubts. 3.01's antiquated. It may be time to step outta your comfort zone..

Abs, AntiX, Arch, #!, TC.. all excellent, current offerings. Bud, kiss those old libs adios..

Mercedes350se

#9 Post by Mercedes350se »

Interesting that you have vlc running under 3.01 - where did you get it?

I am not sure where gsopcast came from but it would be something like http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=327777

Video card is Radeon 7000 64M TVO.

OpenGL - if it does not come in 3.01 then no - I have not done a specific install.

I have tried, admittedly old versions of,

Zenwalk, nice but at the time did not have dial up support - not an issue now I am on broadband

"PCLinuxOS, no thanks

Zorin OS6, no thanks

Linux Mint, early versin was OKish

Ubuntu 6 something, OKish

#!, definitely the best of all the trial OSs. I cannot remember why I eventually deleted it.

There would have been others - I am a magazine cover disk junky, sorry was!
Semme wrote:I'm have'n my doubts. 3.01's antiquated. It may be time to step outta your comfort zone..

I have VLC Smile running on my 3.01 frugal.
Hmm!

That link was interesting reading.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

PC, Zorin, Mint, Ubuntu.. all TOO heavy. Zenwalk's OK, but, for me- there was an odd lag during scrolls. I'd chalk up to graphics, but hey.. who knows? #! I liked, as I did AntiX (both w/access to Ubuntu repos) and Vector. Abs I like and still have installed. It lacks dependency checking and requires more hands-on than the others, but generally pretty solid. As a hd install, she's got more than enough speed.

==

Let's go back to gxine for the moment. Does: ldd /path/to/xine check out?

If yes, I'd go ahead and install xorg-OpenGL. it's in your pacman.

Reboot and see if that doesn't improve playback..

==

Ah, MPlayer *does* work! Rt-clk a video and hit "open with" >> gmplayer.. does it play?

It's in /usr/local/bin. You'll have to drag it into the open with, customize dialog.

In the meantime I'll consult the readme.. see what I can come up with..

==

And leave me a sop url I can test..

Mercedes350se

#11 Post by Mercedes350se »

ldd /path to /xine/ gives no errors.

I am not having any success at all this morning. The streams seem to be OK but mplayer is not opening.

I have a short fuse with software that does not work so I am giving up!

Thank you Semme for the time taken to try to push me in the correct direction both with mplayer and change from the "old dog".

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

For whatever it's worth, Gxine seems to work better for me than any other media player in all the versions of Puppy that will run Gxine at all. (Which has been most of them.)

Mercedes350se

#13 Post by Mercedes350se »

Interesting. In my case xine is the preferred player - gxine seems to have issues.

I have also installed:

xine-lib-1.1.14-i486, and

xine_extra_codecs-1

Not sure if they help but ...

darry1966

Re: mplayer issues (ABANDONED)

#14 Post by darry1966 »

Mercedes350se wrote:I downloaded/installed MPlayer-1.0rc2.pet from http://dotpups.de/puppy3/dotpups/Multimedia/
and all seemed to be well.

To complete the picture I am trying to get gsopcast running on a full HDD install of 3.01 - it didn't seem to want to work with xine!

The issues are:

1. If I click on mplayer in the menu two boxes appear, nothing in either and the machine freezes requiring a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to get out.

2. If I start gsopcast and select a stream it plays with issues - that is the reason for 1# to try and configure mplayer.

With other updates 3.01 is still a very useful Pup especially with Slackware compatability.

Any ideas/suggestions?
For those with a similar problem with good old 3.01 which by the way is my favourite Puppy Linux.

Try these Xine-lib 1.1.19Full p4 and ffmpeg20100408-09 from shinobar here http://101.141.96.168/puppy/pup4/opt/pets/
then install xine-ui from your package manager. Of course full screen playback will depend on your Xorg Server setup. Using this method I can playback mp4's etc.

So 3.01 is still a very useful Pup and with some other updates can still do a great job as an OS plus has Slackware compatability.

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

Hmm there have been several mplayers around in various states of usability and demands so decided a while ago to have a go at building it myself.

The result was built from a 2009 snapshot (the nature of mplayer) which is compiled as a player only so no encoder deps, no freaking sambaclient, works well with any mp4 i throw at it. does NOT need windows codecs for real player stuff, ffmpeg is built in and runs happily on puppy 2.02 (and newer). I did include the mozilla plugin before but find it more trouble than its worth (ok perhaps pls to be more specific)...just associate media with yer favourite player instead.
Its small and light on ram..especially if used without the gui. Three nice skins are in there too for gmplayer. Idea was to have a relatively up to date player for us older puppy users... its older sfs so will load on any puppy 2/3/4 , or mount and copy over the files (not many).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1mtyfiiyw2io ... i.sfs?dl=1 under 4MB.

Thought I should throw it in there if useful to anyone.
Got a similar build player only build of vlc 0.8.6i with 'newer-than-original' ffmpeg but its not packaged if anyone wants it..

mike

edit don't yer just love the way this forum breaks urls :D
url updated..I get organised sometimes.
Last edited by mikeb on Fri 06 Feb 2015, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

Mercedes350se

#16 Post by Mercedes350se »

darry1966 and mikeb, Thank you both however gsopcast is now only a distant memory.

It is good to know that there is a mplayer out there that works.

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

Here old threads never die.... bit like old software :D
funny how something that does something can still do that something 10 years later......
mike

Mercedes350se

#18 Post by Mercedes350se »

mikeb wrote: so decided a while ago to have a go at building it myself.

mike
Well done. Have it running in the background as I type this. I started it with gmplayer in the console.

I have three questions though.

1. When I try to go to full screen the picture remains the same size but there are black bands all around to fill out to the full screen size. In other words the picture does not expand to full screen.

2. When playing a .avi file I get the following popup message:

Invalid and inefficient vfw-avi packed B frames detected

3. When playing a .flv file I get the following popup message:

skipping flv packet: type 18, size 2141`1, flags 0

Any ideas?
Last edited by Mercedes350se on Sat 31 Jan 2015, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

rufwoof

#19 Post by rufwoof »

For 1. (ability to zoom)

In /root/.mplayer/config add

zoom=1

You might also have to open mplayer and select EDIT, PREFERENCES, select the 'mplayer' tab and enter -zoom in the EXTRA OPTIONS TO MPLAYER option.

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

Ok sounds like its set to X11 rather than xv for video output OR you are using vesa/xvesa.... means you have no accelerated stretching.

Look in the preferences under video.

2 and 3 are badly made videos (2 is a common problem when encoding on windows and 3 is corrupted flv conversions)....unfortunately they are all to common.... I have never looked but there may be a parameter to supress warning messages. loglevel= one comes to mind.... if it helps you could add it to whatever launches gmplayer .
Most of the time its a case of click ok and carry on....

mike