Bootable CD not working.

Booting, installing, newbie
JamesTheAwesomeDude

Bootable CD not working.

#1 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

I burned PuppyLinux to a CD, because the computer I'm trying to put it on doesn't support USB boot. However, when it boots up, the part where it normally has a image and the message "wait 5 seconds for normal boot" just has a TON of text scrolling up the screen. (This isn't normal boot-up text; it's the orange prompt, spammed over and over and over and over and over and over...)

Floppy booting is not an option. I've tried to create a bootable floppy disk, but this happens: http://imgur.com/a/pevmu

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

How did you burn the Puppy iso onto the CD? (What burning program did you use and what options?) Have you made a bootable CD before with this program? Will the Puppy CD you made boot in another computer?

JamesTheAwesomeDude

#3 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

Flash wrote:How did you burn the Puppy iso onto the CD? (What burning program did you use and what options?) Have you made a bootable CD before with this program? Will the Puppy CD you made boot in another computer?
I burned it with Brasero on Ubuntu, I have successfully made bootable CDs before, and the CD does boot in my "normal" computer. (I actually installed it on the USB drive via the Universal USB installer, which was run off the CD.)

The older computer, which has no USB boot support, is the one that has trouble booting the Live CD. (NOTE: I tried waiting 5 seconds, just to see if it was going to work anyway, but nothing interesting happened. 30 seconds and 5 minutes both yielded the same results.)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

It sounds like a hardware problem then. The old computer, or its CD drive or its BIOS, is toast. Do you have another bootable CD, such as a Windows installation CD, that you could try just to see if it will boot?

Also it's possible that the disk brand is incompatible with the drive. If you have a different brand of CD, try that. A CD-RW would be good, so you don't keep making coasters.

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

Hey, James, what speed did you burn that CD? If you did it at anything faster than 4x... try again at 4x speed. That's the "ultimate compatibility" speed for CD drives ;)

JamesTheAwesomeDude

#6 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

Oh... lemme give that a shot.

I'm burning the CD as I'm typing. It says it's burning at ~8.2x, even though I told it 4x tops. Is this bad?? I'll try to get it to boot in the morning, I just want to know whether it has a serious chance of succeeding.

Also, is a CD burned at a lower speed slower to read? Faster to read? No difference? Is it more likely to have an error? What effect, exactly, does burning @ slower speed have on the finished CD?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84349][img]http://i.imgur.com/Zw6vryI.png[/img][color=#3B6EA3][b][size=200] Version 27. Dotpet. Click here.[/size]
(SFS available too!)[/b][/color][/url]

JamesTheAwesomeDude

#7 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

Flash,

No.. the computer successfully booted from a Lubuntu CD. I got that CD out of the exact same pack as the Puppy CD. I even burned it with the same burner. The CDs were even the same color (both light blue.)

Right now, I'm trying starhawk's suggestion of the lower burn speed. I told it to burn at 4x, and it burned at 8.2x for most of the time, so I'll see if it works tomorrow. (I have one monitor for both computers. I have no VGA cable, so both computers need to use DVI, so I can't have them both plugged into the monitor at the same time. The back of the monitor is hard to reach, the cables are hard to change, and I'm UTC-6, so I'm hitting the hay. I'll test it out tomorrow, and post the results.)

Thank you for all your help so far! :)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84349][img]http://i.imgur.com/Zw6vryI.png[/img][color=#3B6EA3][b][size=200] Version 27. Dotpet. Click here.[/size]
(SFS available too!)[/b][/color][/url]

tytower

#8 Post by tytower »

Whats UTC-6 ? DVI ? is this some new language you speak?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

JamesTheAwesomeDude wrote:.. the computer successfully booted from a Lubuntu CD. I got that CD out of the exact same pack as the Puppy CD. I even burned it with the same burner. The CDs were even the same color (both light blue.)
Hm, the only other thing I can think of is the iso you burned onto the CD must be corrupted somehow. Can you download it again, perhaps from a different source?

rhadon

#10 Post by rhadon »

@JamesTheAwesomeDude
Is it the Pentium1 from here?
Which Puppy do you try?

@tytower

Code: Select all

You last visited on Today, at 2:38 pm
The time now is Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:49 pm