How to share wireless through Ethernet?

Using applications, configuring, problems
JamesTheAwesomeDude

How to share wireless through Ethernet?

#1 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

I have three computers: one that I use for my everyday stuff, an older one that I use mostly just for geek cred, and a Pentium 1, which I am currently contemplating resurrecting.

The thing is, I only have 1 Wireless adapter, and I switch between the two main computers somewhat frequently. I have found out how to get Ubuntu to share its Wi-Fi through the Ethernet port, but I don't know how to do this in Puppy Linux.

tytower

#2 Post by tytower »

Ohh thats interesting . I take it you want to plug computer 1 ethernet board into computer 2 into computer 3 and share the wireless connection on computer 1.

Is that how it is? A dongle can be had for 5/20 bucks so I would just buy two more and save the work. If as above I don't know but I am sure it can be done so I will sit here and watch what is said .

JamesTheAwesomeDude

#3 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

Lol, your assessment is pretty much correct. I have ethernet cables coming out the wazoo at our house, but we have a critical shortage of wi-fi adapters.

Buying another adapter is currently being considered, but I can't count on that happening anytime soon. :(

JamesTheAwesomeDude

#4 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

Just realized that computer 2 only has 1 ethernet port, and computer 3 doesn't have any. (No USB ports either...)

So.. I just need to share internet from one computer (which has a wifi adapter) to another. I used to do this in Ubuntu (just set a new ethernet connection, with the IP setting set to "Shared with other computers",) but I don't know how to do this in Puppy Linux.

Ray MK

#5 Post by Ray MK »

[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.