ATI graphics .pet installed, driver not recognized

Using applications, configuring, problems
JamesTheAwesomeDude

ATI graphics .pet installed, driver not recognized

#1 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

I have a Radeon HD 4350, but the driver doesn't appear to be working.

(Back when I used Ubuntu, I could never get the driver working, either... it always used the generic Vesa driver...)

I've installed the ATI Catalyst driver (the Catalyst driver is the one I use on Windows, which does get great gaming graphics,) but it says that "ATI is installed but the driver is not working." I've tried the troubleshooting, but that doesn't change anything. I've tried the fglrx driver, the ATI driver, and pretty much any other driver I thought might have a chance of doing something useful. None of them do anything. I'm not really doing any gaming on Puppy Linux (I always have to reboot to Windows for that,) but it would be nice to be able to run Google Earth without it lagging like crazy. (Also, it says that it might make the desktop a bit more snappy, which is always nice.)

Here are the file's hashes:

Code: Select all

ATI_fglrx-10.10-Lucid.pet
MD5:  ffe0c8a700b8d82578d6b6d8e4581f41
SHA1: 03664fd0b7f953f41113d5d0442efb2fd9ad5b97

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

What version of Puppy did you install the .pet in? The .pet appears to be for Lucid Puppy and may not work with other versions.

JamesTheAwesomeDude

#3 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

Flash wrote:What version of Puppy did you install the .pet in? The .pet appears to be for Lucid Puppy and may not work with other versions.
I'm running Lucid 528, and I used Quickpet to get the driver. To obtain the checksums, I just copied the URL from the temporary terminal window that appeared, and used Wget to download the file to an easily accessible location.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

James- if you're *awesome dude* enough, you may be able to adapt some of the info here.

JamesTheAwesomeDude

#5 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

Semme wrote:James- if you're *awesome dude* enough, you may be able to adapt some of the info here.
Well, poop.
I don't know exactly what I screwed up, but my n00bish interpretation of that article's instructions has left my USB device unbootable. I'm just gonna back up everything on the drive, reinstall, then put all my backed up files back on the drive. (Fortunately, I had a Live CD I could boot off of. :lol: )

Evidently I'm not 'Awesome Dude' enough. :roll:
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84349][img]http://i.imgur.com/Zw6vryI.png[/img][color=#3B6EA3][b][size=200] Version 27. Dotpet. Click here.[/size]
(SFS available too!)[/b][/color][/url]

JamesTheAwesomeDude

#6 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

Bleh. Got everything reinstalled, fortunately the backup worked flawlessly.

After running aticonfig --initial, I did this:

Code: Select all

sh-4.1# aticonfig --initial=check
Check: Found fglrx section.
sh-4.1# 
...however, the driver test built in to QuickPup still says that the driver's not working.

I did some flying around in the Google Earth flight simulator (that's my super-fancy graphics benchmarking program :wink:,) and the FPS was not too shabby, so I have to wonder whether the driver is actually working. CPU usage went up to 80% though.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84349][img]http://i.imgur.com/Zw6vryI.png[/img][color=#3B6EA3][b][size=200] Version 27. Dotpet. Click here.[/size]
(SFS available too!)[/b][/color][/url]

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Saying you build it yourself of course- cause I'm NOT the driver expert around here..

#5) Be sure to have your build environment in place.

In other words, the files you need >> lupu_devx_528-4.sfs and kernel_src-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs

Both essential when compiling drivers. This is incase the pet build falls short.

The only other thing I've got for ya- some modules may need blacklisting..
Attachments
boot-mngr_blacklisting.jpg
(74.94 KiB) Downloaded 257 times