Is puppy suitable for a Pentium 1?

Using applications, configuring, problems
JamesTheAwesomeDude

Is puppy suitable for a Pentium 1?

#1 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

I have a Pentium 1 that I found in my basement the other day. It has a 1GB hard drive in it, with Windows 95 installed.

I was just wondering whether Puppy would be suitable to run on it - functionality, suitability, performance, etc.

Right now, it has (I think) 256 MB of RAM. I know that Puppy Linux is 133 MB, and my 2GB savefile is about 25% full (after installing all the programs I think I'll want.) It seems like it would be a good fit, but I wanted to run it by you guys first.

One thing: It has a built-in MODEM :o, but no Ethernet or USB ports. How to transfer teh filez and teh internetz? There are no free phone jacks within range at all. For the files, I have a floppy on hand, and it has been tested to be functioning. (Yeah my Pentuim 4 with 3 gig of RAM still has a floppy drive in it... ;))

galen

#2 Post by galen »

physically put a cd drive in it and start with puppy wary 5.3 and go backwards in versions from there. wary will run fine in 1G hard disk space and 256MB ram.
someone in the know will post the exact version that will work for you.
what video card is in it

Pent 1 i486 I think

greeder

#3 Post by greeder »

I think that Wary Puppy would be your best bet of the litter. Possibly roll back to an earlier version. But if you can't get Puppy to work you could try Damn Small Linux. (Dog, forgive me). DSL is not an active project and it is frozen in time at about 2008. I have heard that you can get a 486 up and running with it.
In any case, let us know how it goes.

BTW: Pentium 1 was the i586.

Dewbie

#4 Post by Dewbie »

Wary's probably a bit heavy for a P1.
You might want to start here first, and if that doesn't work...go here.
(But keep in mind, the latter choice contains Puppies that cannot be updated.)

Incidentally, after a four-year break, DSL is once again active.

JamesTheAwesomeDude

#5 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

Okay, I am actually fine using Lucid (528), would trying that as my first bet have any potential problems? I'd be OK with trying one of the newer ones, but I'm just settling into Lucid, and don't want to have to re-learn an OS just as I'm getting used to it.

(Mainly, I just don't want to download another ISO file. ;) Also, I don't want to waste another CD. I already have a stack of like 40, each burned with a different linux distro; many are unusable due to various reasons.)