Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
01micko

#121 Post by 01micko »

I have svg'd all the frisbee icons and the whole lot now weigh in at 68k uncompressed.

Now I have to code them in.. @rerwin.. what is that source above? Is that to make 1 tray app covering both frisbee and the other networking apps?

EDIT 0: @rerwin, ok looks like it! I'll adjust THAT code for my new icons, compile, test and upload source.

EDIT 1: Ok compile and test is successful, so if the original 2.6 adjusted by rerwin works, this version should work. The source with icons and binary weighs about the same as rerwin's but the icons should look much better. Svg scales perfectly as that's what it's designed to do (scalable vector graphics).

EDIT2: I installed the latest frisbee packages apart from the network tray and it svg shows but the icon doesn't update,

EDIT 3: Installed the original rerwin network_tray-2.6 and it still failed, but after a reboot the icons worked.. so I reinstalled my hacked network tray and rebooted and it worked! Now we can have nice frisbee tray icons. Probably a little work to do to get it refreshing without a reboot, or at least a message.

EDIT 4: I have now incorporated my IP patch, however I will leave the other version up in case that the IP code is buggy, I am yet to receive reports for PPP and PPPoe interfaces.
Attachments
network_tray-2.6-2.tar.bz2
With IP patch. The original network_tray source with that patch is included.
(20.17 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
svg_frisbee.png
svg frisbee icons working
(5.46 KiB) Downloaded 923 times
network_tray-2.6-1.tar.bz2
with svg icons
(19.08 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
capture23968.png
(42.05 KiB) Downloaded 959 times
fris_svg-1.tar.bz2
(6.26 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

peebee

#122 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:
EDIT2: I installed the latest frisbee packages apart from the network tray and it svg shows but the icon doesn't update,

EDIT 3: Installed the original rerwin network_tray-2.6 and it still failed, but after a reboot the icons worked.. so I reinstalled my hacked network tray and rebooted and it worked! Now we can have nice frisbee tray icons. Probably a little work to do to get it refreshing without a reboot, or at least a message.
Hi Mick

It may be because you haven't renamed:

network*.svg to network*-eth.svg - at least that was the scheme that Richard used with the old versions.

However you do still need the old network* versions for the other network manager / the network wizard?? Maybe now in both formats??

Just guessing.
Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#123 Post by 01micko »

Hi peebee,

No, I renamed them, like I said, works perfectly after a reboot, so it's something else, I haven't tracked it down yet, but it doesn't work after an X restart either. I'm 99.8% sure that the icons have nothing to do with it. The other source posted by rerwin behaves the same.

peebee

#124 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:Hi peebee,

No, I renamed them, like I said, works perfectly after a reboot, so it's something else, I haven't tracked it down yet, but it doesn't work after an X restart either. I'm 99.8% sure that the icons have nothing to do with it. The other source posted by rerwin behaves the same.
Did you include svg versions of the original network* icons - they're still needed as well as the 3 sets with - suffixes....

Really like the new icons BTW.

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#125 Post by 01micko »

peebee wrote:Did you include svg versions of the original network* icons - they're still needed as well as the 3 sets with - suffixes....

Really like the new icons BTW.

Cheers
peebee
No, they are not needed as they are called by *.xpm. They can coexist nicely. Even png could be mixed in, or whatever. (And BTW those relevant xpm icons are in my source).

EDIT 0: @rerwin, The refreshing of the icon when frisbee is engaged seems to be dependant on the renewal of the IP address. If from the frisbee main gui I reset the wireless process then the icons refresh and work as expected. This is why it works on a reboot. Simply restarting network_tray fails every time. I'm no programmer but I hope this info gives you a clue.

EDIT 1: I think I have got it! Wrong signal:

Code: Select all

#define SIGRTfrisbeeup	35
This seems not to be respected. (I have been testing in slacko-5.4 and pemau's upup-3.7.2).
If I enter

killall -36 network_tray
it works! BUT that is for wireless only, and isn't consistent.. so for other connection types this won't work in /usr/local/bin/frisbee_mode_enable. This is definitely a starting point, 8). [A few moments later...] well not quite, but sending 36 and then 35 did work after an X restart, tested both in upup and slacko, consisitent results. HTH

rerwin

#126 Post by rerwin »

01micko, peebee,
I think that the reason the frisbee icons do not show after installation of your pet is because the "killall -35 network_tray" does not happen after restarting the network_tray program (which tells it that frisbee mode is on). Both of those could be done in a pinstall.sh. But that script should test whether "frisbee mode" is in effect ([ -f /etc/frisbee/.frisbee_mode ]) before signalling.

Nice work, with the icons! Does use of the .svn files require any other resources than are already part of a standard puppy? I do not want to introduce a new dependency that might impact the likelihood of frisbee being accepted for woof.

Another consideration: How much processing is required to display an svg icon? If it is significant versus an xpm icon, that could be an issue, because an icon is displayed every half-second. As an experiment, just now, I exported a wireless icon into a 24x24 bitmap that is much simplified-looking. So pre-converting the vector image to bitmap (and then to xpm, I assume) is not productive.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 19 Jan 2013, 21:49, edited 2 times in total.

01micko

#127 Post by 01micko »

rerwin wrote:Nice work, with the icons! Does use of the .svn files require any other resources than are already part of a standard puppy? I do not want to introduce a new dependency that might impact the likelihood of frisbee being accepted for woof.
Richard
No, I have been using svg tray icons for awhile now and they seem to run fine in any puppy. All necessary stuff is included in gtk-+2.0.

rerwin

frisbee-1.0 release candidate

#128 Post by rerwin »

I have uploaded another version of the frisbee "kit" and pdiag here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 292#678292

I hope this is the set for submission to Barry for inclusion in the woof system. If anyone still has issues with my integrated version of Frisbee, please report them in this thread, so I can address them.

The only future change I expect is Argolance's internationalization upgrade to the frisbee package. See the link for more information.
Richard

rerwin

frisbee network_tray icons - many possibilities

#129 Post by rerwin »

The network_tray frisbee icons in the "kit" to be submitted for woof retains the 24x24 .xpm files I produced from the originals. Not that I object to people working to improve them, I do not want to impact this kit by making further icon changes. The kit is limited to migrating the existing Frisbee beta4 to woof with only the necessary changes and bug fixes. Once in woof, it would be ready for various improvement projects.

I feel that the icon improvements are a separate project, with many possibilities. My preference is to eliminate the separate set of icons in favor of creating variants of the existing puppy tray globe-and-terminal icon, representing broadband wireless (wlan, etc.), analog dialup and wireless dialup.

The dialups probably each need only a single icon that indicates that those connections are active (transmitting and receiving) because I know of no way to tell when actual data is transmitted or received; the ppp connection is "up" only when a call is in progress. I am not sure how to distinguish "up" from "connected". Wireless dialup could be detected by testing the wvdial log for a phone/access number that looks like a "data" call (#... or *...).

The current frisbee wireless activity icons do not distinguish transmitting versus receiving, although the network_tray logic for that is the same as for ethernet. Can anyone confirm that wireless can have periods of only transmitting or receiving? Or does wireless always do both?

So, there are too many icon possibilities for me to choose one for the kit. Let the fun begin, on ideas for upgrading the icons.
Richard

ASRI éducation

Re: Frisbee localization with gettext

#130 Post by ASRI éducation »

rerwin wrote:
Argolance wrote:I noticed that Frisbee is in English :? ... Did someone already begin to work on the localization? If not, I would eventually like to try to do it (using gettext).
We can work together on this by PM, if you so wish. Thanks for offering to do the internationalization.
@ Argolance
Si besoin, tu peux piocher des traductions dans le Frisbee d'ASRI300 (j'avais traduit en fr l'ancienne version de Frisbee).
Cordialement,

Argolance

#131 Post by Argolance »

Hello ASRI,
Merci pour ta proposition: j'ai terminé la "gettextisation" de frisbee ainsi que la traduction et les ai envoyées hier soir à rerwin :?. Reste à savoir maintenant si le travail est bon... et comme je fais pratiquement mes premières armes avec gettext, je suis un peu inquiet :oops:. L'avenir le dira!

(Hors-sujet: C'est évident qu'il faudrait mettre en place un moyen de pouvoir mieux coordonner nos travaux, mais c'est toujours pareil, cela demanderait encore du temps et comme nous en avons tout juste assez pour mener à bien ces travaux de "titans" :D, j'avoue pour ma part que je ne prends pas assez celui de lever la tête du guidon pour prendre connaissance de ce qu'il se passe. De plus, je fais les choses comme elles arrivent et ne planifie jamais rien à l'avance, ce qui complique les choses...)

Cordialement.

rerwin

Test version of Internationalized frisbee

#132 Post by rerwin »

Argolance, peebee,
I have integrated Argolance's gettext internationalization into frisbee, along with some corrections to original typos and inconsistent or informal wording of messages.

The package does not include any .po or .mo files, as I assume they are maintained and placed by the translators. Anyway, I have no idea on how to implement the translations, so rely on the translators to do that. The frisbee.pot file, though, is in /usr/share/doc/nls/frisbee/

This should have the same functionality as 0125 in the "kit". Please notify me if I have broken something.
Richard

UPDATE 2/7/2012: I have removed the test version of frisbee previously attached here, because the latest version is now available at this link:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 521#662521

Please do all testing with that version. Thanks to all who tried the test package.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 07 Feb 2013, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.

Argolance

#133 Post by Argolance »

Hello rerwin,
You told me:
I made further improvements to some of the wording of the messages, so your translation needs to be updated. I am attaching a difference listing between the frisbee.pot file you sent me and the "0131" version, to assist you in making your updates. For the comparison, I moved your frisbee.pot "hook_notify" section to the end of the file, to match "0131".
Thank you!
:?: But I was wondering how you proceed to make your modifications. Did you only modified English chains inside the pot file I sent to you? If yes this would not have any effect on the script itself and po/mo files generated from this pot file would give wrong results. Modifications have to be done directly inside the script, then a pot file has to be build from. Afterward, it is possible to update any previous po files and to generate new mo files for each language.

Cordialement.

rerwin

#134 Post by rerwin »

Argolance,
I modified the frisbee and func scripts, then ran xgettext to generate the .pot file. So, they are synchronized.

I have since had one other thought: I probably should add a "version" to the scripts and to the xgettext command I use to produce the .pot file. I assume that I merely add a "version=1.0.0" line to each of the places where I put the export...frisbee lines. Then I add arguments to the xgettext command. BTW, I keep that as a comment in the pinstall.sh file in the package, because I want to keep it around, somewhere.

Beyond that, is there anything more I should do to complete my part of the internationalization? Will the scripts automatically look in /usr/share/locale for the translation files? Or do I need to specify that somewhere?
Richard

Argolance

#135 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
I modified the frisbee and func scripts, then ran xgettext to generate the .pot file. So, they are synchronized.
OK! :)
Sorry, I was a little perplexed because of the difference listing between the frisbee.pot files you sent to me. As far as I know, it is not required to update po files? But maybe I ignore its utility as well as the reason why you moved the frisbee.pot "hook_notify" section to the end of the file to match "0131"...
I have since had one other thought: I probably should add a "version" to the scripts and to the xgettext command I use to produce the .pot file. I assume that I merely add a "version=1.0.0" line to each of the places where I put the export...frisbee lines. Then I add arguments to the xgettext command. BTW, I keep that as a comment in the pinstall.sh file in the package, because I want to keep it around, somewhere.
Not sure at all I well understand what you think :oops:... I take the risk of saying the version number can simply be added at the beginning of the scritps as variable and displayed in their window title bars.
Will the scripts automatically look in /usr/share/locale for the translation files? Or do I need to specify that somewhere?
Yes, they will!

EDIT: I will send French po and mo files later: I just noticed "Gateway" is still in English on the shot below :shock:!

Cordialement.
Attachments
104537_846x422_easyshot.png
(58.58 KiB) Downloaded 497 times

Argolance

#136 Post by Argolance »

Hello rerwin,
I noticed that the file /usr/local/frisbee/func inside frisbee-1.0-20130131.pet you posted above cannot be executed because it has no permissions and...

export TEXTDOMAIN=frisbee
export OUTPUT_CHARSET=UTF-8
. gettext.sh
... is missing at the beginning of the script.
On my side, I admit that I forgot to "gettext" 3 text label inside the "frisbee" file...

Cordialement.
Attachments
170459_846x426_easyshot.png
(60.42 KiB) Downloaded 922 times
pot_french-po-mo_files.tar.gz
The pot file updated and the po mo French files...
(8 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
frisbee.tar
To be renamed without .tar extention and copied into /usr/local/bin as replacement of the previous one.
(23.96 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
func.tar
To be renamed without .tar extention and copied into /usr/local/frisbee as replacement of the previous one...
(36.87 KiB) Downloaded 367 times

peebee

#137 Post by peebee »

Argolance wrote:Hello rerwin,
I noticed that the file /usr/local/frisbee/func inside frisbee-1.0-20130131.pet you posted above cannot be executed because it has no permissions
Hi Both

It seemed to work OK for me.....in English

Thanks
peebee

rerwin

#138 Post by rerwin »

Argolance, peebee,
Please do not make the "corrections" to the difference in locations of the export and gettext.sh lines. The changes are intentional. I will explain.

First, the func file is not actually executed as a script. It is invoked by the "." method of "executing" script commands. But think of that as merely including the func code into whatever script is referencing it. It should not have execute permissions, since it is not executed independently. That is the way it came from the "betas".

The "export/gettext.sh" case is more complicated. Putting them at the beginning of func was not incorrect, just not necessary. The only script that uses func and needs those lines is frisbee. So I moved them there. Besides, they are needed in frisbee before the invocation of the func file. But they must also be added to the internal functions in frisbee, because those functions are spawned as separate processes, for which the initial set is ineffective.

Argolance, I have merged your changes into my current version, which now no longer kills the older network_tray daemon. Thanks for your updates. But I wonder about one of the updates:

<label>$(gettext 'Wpa_cli')</label>
which is the name of the command, wpa_cli, the command-line interface to wpa_supplicant. I think it should not be translatable, as it stands. But maybe that is not good for a label, because a user would have no idea what it means. Do you (or anyone, for that matter) think we should change the label to something more meaningful? Maybe "WPA Control". It lets the user interact with Wifi Protected Access (wpa_supplicant).
Richard

Argolance

#139 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
rerwin wrote:Please do not make the "corrections" to the difference in locations of the export and gettext.sh lines. The changes are intentional. I will explain.
Sorry to land like a bull in a china shop! :oops:
ASRI suggested me collaborating in the translation of frisbee. As he first didn't succeed in making it working in French, I tried to find the reason why: I thought it was!
Thanks for explanations.
which is the name of the command, wpa_cli, the command-line interface to wpa_supplicant. I think it should not be translatable, as it stands. But maybe that is not good for a label, because a user would have no idea what it means. Do you (or anyone, for that matter) think we should change the label to something more meaningful? Maybe "WPA Control". It lets the user interact with Wifi Protected Access (wpa_supplicant).
ASRI and I indeed think that it should be useful to change this label (and some other similar) to something more meaningful. More: some chains translated to French (it is the same for Spanish and German), are much larger than the English ones and this makes the GUI to be larger too! This could be a problem for small resolutions. We both have suggestions:
  • - The title bar could be something like "Frisbee - Network Configuration", so it could be possible to label tabs shortly, something like: "Wireless Networks" and "Network Interfaces"
    - "Enable Wireless Network" and the rest of the line could be separated on 2 lines
    - ... and the "Exit" button apart and alone on a single line down the window (maybe add an Info or Help button too?) or simply limit the labels to the single actions as it is already specified through the tooltips.
Cordialement.

rerwin

#140 Post by rerwin »

Argolance wrote:ASRI and I indeed think that it should be useful to change this label (and some other similar) to something more meaningful. More: some chains translated to French (it is the same for Spanish and German), are much larger than the English ones and this makes the GUI to be larger too! This could be a problem for small resolutions. We both have suggestions:
  • - The title bar could be something like "Frisbee - Network Configuration", so it could be possible to label tabs shortly, something like: "Wireless Networks" and "Network Interfaces"
    - "Enable Wireless Network" and the rest of the line could be separated on 2 lines
    - ... and the "Exit" button apart and alone on a single line down the window (maybe add an Info or Help button too?) or simply limit the labels to the single actions as it is already specified through the tooltips.
Excellent recommendations! I will implement them. Thanks.
Richard

Later: How about this:
Attachments
simplified_frisbee_screenie.png
(25.39 KiB) Downloaded 725 times