Homeland Security: Disable UPnP, as tens of millions at risk

For discussions about security.
prehistoric

#21 Post by prehistoric »

rcrsn51 wrote:...
Concerning printers: A client, either Linux or Windows, does NOT need uPnP to set up a networked printer. For example, CUPS searches your network for open Port 9100s. A Windows installer may be looking for some proprietary port.

However, if you have a uPnp-capable printer that also enabled port forwarding on your router, then you have a potential problem.
My comment there was not about inherent vulnerability of the device, it more resembled social engineering to crack a system. You are well aware of what is necessary to detect and install printers, knowledge that I'm sure was hard won. The vast majority of people using computers with printers don't have a clue.

When a particular model of printer, router, etc. is difficult to install people will enter a mode I call "superstitious behavior". "This never was a problem back in the days when we ran DOS, Win95..etc. I'll just disable all the new-fangled stuff where the documentation makes noise about security."

There is no telling what uninformed people will do under these circumstances, but there are, unfortunately, a few people out there who will check to find out if they have opened network vulnerabilities in the process.

There is also a great deal of bad advice posted on-line. Some small part of it may have been contributed by people with ulterior motives. That is why I recommend not allowing any information about your local set-up out on the Internet unless it is necessary for operation.

A search for vulnerabilities which would be impossibly tedious for a person is duck soup for a carefully programmed machine.

rcrsn51

#22 Post by rcrsn51 »

Apropos, here something interesting.

nooby

#23 Post by nooby »

Belkin wemo wifi remote switch control your home from anywhere.

WeMo is your home at your fingertips.
http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?rnId=7081

so someone could maybe cause trouble
by taking full control over some gadget?

Scary

Yes I will try to find that upnp then.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

prehistoric

#24 Post by prehistoric »

The next level of debate involved the "guest" network I set up on their wireless for friends who just wanted Internet access at their house. They originally had the default password "guest". This might be OK if you were sure there were no pedophiles next door. Otherwise, you might find the police at the door with a search warrant some day.
By sheer coincidence, this report just showed up in Florida.

The perpetrator got inside their LAN, which could also allow him to exploit UPnP vulnerabilities normally hidden behind the router, but the crap he downloaded was stored on his own computer. Had he cracked their computer and parked some in a hidden location on a device belonging to those neighbors they might now be facing a prison sentence.