Dpup Wheezy. Woof-CE built debian wheezy 7.2 packages used

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
charlie6

#101 Post by charlie6 »

@ szindian --> Hugh :wink:

did you get a try on pemasu's combinated abiword+goffice+gnumeric.pet or -.sfs here:
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages-exprimo/

I installed it on a pfix=ram dpup Wheezy-3.5.2 on a ... :oops: 82845G Brookdale featured PIV .. and only gnumeric works fine ..! Abiword: got a GLIB error:
# abiword
GLib (gthread-posix.c): Unexpected error from C library during 'pthread_setspecific': Invalid argument. Aborting.
Aborted
#
(seems like intel drvers later than 2.13.0 areworking nice with intel 82845G video chip :D--> no longer black screen after several restarts of X )

>>--> Hope this helps <--<<
Charlie

sszindian

Wheezy - abiword

#102 Post by sszindian »

Hi charlie6!

You wrote-
------------------------------------------------------------------------
did you get a try on pemasu's combinated abiword+goffice+gnumeric.pet or -.sfs here:
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages-exprimo/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes quiet awhile back, tried that, same problem you encountered. I might add, I've tried just about every abiword (both .pet's & sfs) there is without success but thanks for the mention.

I would have to say charlie6 that this Wheezy Puppy probably has more potential than any other Puppy currently available, maybe pemasu is waiting for the right kernel or the final development of wheezy itself before he puts any more of his magic into a next-build... he certainly done it right so far... we'll just have to wait and see?

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

charlie6

#103 Post by charlie6 »

Hi sszindian,
# abiword
GLib (gthread-posix.c): Unexpected error from C library...
#
googling about that message error returned comments about a possible bug in glib that could have been fixed with earlier glib versions ( might be version 2.35.4).
I did a fast test downloading ubuntu's something like «libglib2.0-0-2.35.4.deb» --> so abiword was requesting a new libffi version and aftrwds a new libc6 version (those are listed in the needed dependencies for «libglib2.0-0-2.35.4.deb»);

At this point, I know from earlier experience that «touching» to libc6 matters is very risky --> so do not repeat this unless you are running only on pfix=ram session ..

So - let us go ! - once the recommended libc6 has been installed, things went worse: no longer possibilities to install new debs (nor pets) just by clicking on it; only manual install doing

Code: Select all

#undeb archive.deb
As a conclusion:
1. i lost control of my PC and had to do a manual swith off ... :( .
2. last edited: as pemasu wrote it: abiword might need to be compiled againt this wheezy3.5.2...
3. this matter is now above my (tiny) knowledges --> i give up at this point.

cheers, charlie

charlie6

#104 Post by charlie6 »

(above post continued)
.../...
and
4. just a suggestion: maybe you already tried pemasu's uPup-Precise-3.7.2 ... it has already built-in abiword-2.8.6 + xorg 1.11.x + intel_drv.so > 2.17.0 + OpenGL (as for dPup-Wheezy) + a lot of apps in the PPM repo

best regards
charlie

sszindian

Wheezy

#105 Post by sszindian »

charlie6:

Yes... I've been testing Upup-Precise since its beginning! It for sure is a nice Puppy but... pemasu's Exprimo's and Wheezy (especially Wheezy) are faster, show graphics and pictures better, and in my opinion are just better all around, at least so far. Sometimes in the course of a day I'll compare certain functions in Puppy on a half/dozen Puppy builds and other non-puppy distro's, just something I like to do! Surprisingly, not all new distro-builds, upgrades or even certain programs are better than the previous version and some distro's are better than others... again in certain areas... and... that is what keeps Linux interesting and on-going.

Appreciate you keeping up with Puppy in general and for your concerns!

'Thanks'

>>>---Indian------>

charlie6

#106 Post by charlie6 »

Hi again sszindian,
i have to confess i have tried a 5.th item ... :oops: ...i.e. to install abiword from the debian-wheezy repo ...and t could get a working abiword-2.9.2 ...with a returned warning comment about GLIB when started from console. This needed to install gtk3... :shock: See list of installed packages hereunder.

abiword_2.9.2+svn20120603-8_i386.deb: 1864 K
abiword-common_2.9.2+svn20120603-8_all.deb: 2239 K
hicolor-icon-theme_0.12-1_all.deb: 12 K
libabiword-2.9_2.9.2+svn20120603-8_i386.deb: 2686 K
libcairo-gobject2_1.12.2-2_i386.deb: 428 K
libglib2.0-0_2.33.12+really2.32.4-3_i386.deb: 1788 K
libgtk-3-0_3.4.2-5_i386.deb: 1753 K
libgtk-3-common_3.4.2-5_all.deb: 2591 K
libraptor2-0_2.0.8-2_i386.deb: 199 K
librasqal3_0.9.29-1_i386.deb: 241 K
librdf0_1.0.15-1+b1_i386.deb: 128 K
libwmf0.2-7_0.2.8.4-10.2_i386.deb: 189 K
libyajl2_2.0.4-2_i386.deb: 25 K

Total: 14 M (13 files) <--- might be ca. 40MB once uncompressed ... :(

Maybe you might try an easier and safer way, and install it from the PPM as shown hereunder - this will also indicate you to install the needed dependencies - ... and add manualy the eventual missing dependencies that could still arise.

trick: use to start abiword from console

#abiword
as also to check dependencies using:

#ldd /usr/bin/abiword
if you also might want gnumeric, there is a place in pemasu's repo where it may be downloaded alone, without abiword, but it may need goffice ... this last file might introduce some incompatibilities with the abiwords dependencies --> to be tested .. :?

Now once installed, you maybe anyway would appreciate this post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77122

hope this helps
charlie
Attachments
abiword_via_PPM.jpg
(16.24 KiB) Downloaded 726 times

sszindian

Abiword

#107 Post by sszindian »

'Thanks charlie6!'

I will try what you did from the PPM as soon as I get back to the Wheezy build again, into Exprimo-3.6.2 at present (in fact 3.6.2 is my 'major-use-program', it's very stable and works beautiful for all my daily needs.)

Keep up the good work on Wheezy!!!! If you ever get a Google-Earth going in it let me know?

>>>---Indian------>

charlie6

abiword-2.8.6 on dPup-Wheezy >>--> ;-)

#108 Post by charlie6 »

@ >>--> sszindian ... :D
and ...
..6. just tought something still easier (as k3.5.2 is earlier than 3.7.2; and both puppies have glib-2.0 version 2.32.3 --> let's assume abiword from Precise-3.7.2 could run on 3.5.2...!) something maybe ...crazy...but i tried it ... and seems working; it only needs one more lib=libwmf0.2-7_0.2.8.4-10.2_i386.deb :
LAST EDITED: this assumption does not work (see post below)
7. you would also appreciate some abiword improvment given here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=457426:
i have downloaded musher's pet (thanks musher !) and included all its abiword relevant stuffs to the pemasu's abiword pet above...! it reads docx files etc...

Hope this helps
Charlie
Last edited by charlie6 on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.

sszindian

Abiword

#109 Post by sszindian »

Wow charlie6...

You have certainly been a busy-beaver on the abiword thingy!!!

Is there any chance you could upload that- abiword-2.8.6-gnumeric-1.10.17-goffice-0.8.17-wheezy.pet you created here in the Wheezy- forum, I'm sure there are others that would really appreciate that (including myself) and not have to go through all that hard work you already accomplished :wink: I'm sure it will get a good test here.

>>>---Indian------>

charlie6

#110 Post by charlie6 »

Hi sszindian,
LAST EDITED: please disregard this post; as this pet does not work, there is no use to keep the download link active, so i removed it
here it is ( follow the >>---> ) :wink:
1. looking deeper in Precise-3.7.2's iso, abiword is reported as woof-package abiword-2.8.6_w52 <--- the same as in wary52...?
so if only abiword-2.8.6 is needed, download it from ibiblio/wary5, and add the libwmf (see in above post) + NLS.pet if needed.
2. the pet to be downloaded at link below is called "strip" as it does not have the wv** scripts contained in dpup-exprimo's pet. You might add them easily just by extracting/copying/making the pet.
3. abiword and gnumeric menu entry are in Document ...i maybe missed something when making the pet. Maybe could somebody else rearrange that the right way.
4. given without warranty ...no after-sales-dept here ... :wink:
5.locales: this pet has already en_GB and fr_FR locales; for others, just download the NLS pet from dpup-exprimo repo.
>>-->link removed <--<<

enjoy
charlie
Last edited by charlie6 on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 06:46, edited 2 times in total.

sszindian

Abiword - Gnumeric

#111 Post by sszindian »

charlie6....

'My hat's off to you sir' you did a fantastic job for Wheezy!

I gave abiword a quick look, installed a bunch more fonts in it, loaded a graphic from another folder... it looks like you 'did it right!'

Gnumeric... loaded a gnumeric file of a bunch of accounts I have (again from another gnumeric file) and it again 'did it right!'

From just those few tests I can pretty much tell you that everything is going to work as it should in both abiword and gnumeric.

Again charlie6... 'Thanks a bunch' I'm sure many who are using (or will now want to use) Wheezy will be very happy campers!!!

>>>---Indian------>

PS: poped in a pic of my new Wheezy desktop-
Attachments
desktop-3.png
(136.91 KiB) Downloaded 622 times

charlie6

#112 Post by charlie6 »

Hi sszindian,
Perhaps i should have performed some more tests before upload:
i'm afraid this abiword not working properly: it becomes very slow at scrolling a text with the right-hand page vertical cursor: moreover when launched from terminal, i get a lot of warning and error messages...
maybe no hope going this way... :(
charlie

pemasu

#113 Post by pemasu »

Darn. You have kept this thread so busy that I have had to check it now and then. I had boring lazy day today. I still have that workload in my day job going on...till infinite it seems. But...being zombie more than 2 hours is not for me....

So....I gave a go for wheezy. It seems I have found a solution for firmware loading. There was one defective puppy file which seems to work now with new woof. I also abandoned kmod and latest wheezy udev and swapped them to reliable module-init-tools and udev-167. I managed to load firmware to one of my dvb-usb stick with the new arrangement. It is possible that wireless with firmware need....works now. I mean those firmwares in /lib/modules/all-firmware/* which are puppy speciality.

Posting from latest wheezy. It has abiword and gnumeric with it. It seems I have compiled them in august. I just have forgotten that by now...It has also xchat and many missing icons have been fixed.

I have used latest wheezy packages for core. There is still about 238 bugs to strash before wheezy becomes stable...so there is good time for testing.

I suppose I will upload next woofed version.

sszindian

Wheezy

#114 Post by sszindian »

charlie6... not to fret

Looks like we will have a new Wheezy build coming soon with all the minor problems fixed... well except a few (238 per pemasu) but I'm sure we can deal with those... one at a time huh? I still think you did one heck of a job on the ambiword... actually, I could have lived with your fix-build the way it was!

Pemasu... thanks for getting back in here, Don't know if you realize it but Wheezy is what I call a 'Tiger By The Tail' and I really do believe it has the potential of becoming the best of the best as far as Puppy's go. As I mentioned, it is by far the fastest, best graphics rendering, most stable wifi (like your Exprimo's) and coolist running of any distro I've ever tested including lots of others besides Puppy's!!!

Can't wait for the new release.

>>>---Indian------>

pemasu

#115 Post by pemasu »

I meant official Debian published bugs, which needs attention and fix before wheezy becomes stable. I found that 238 bugs from Debian Wheezy net pages. Not sure how many of them has already been fixed.

The Puppy based problems are another thing. If the firmware loading from puppy location /lib/modules/all-firmware has been fixed....it is good start. I am atm creating packages and the woofing is in the process now...

pemasu

#116 Post by pemasu »

Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2.2 has been uploaded I have used the latest woof at time.

Due to persistent - keep the thread a live posting by sszindian with support from charlie6 - I have uploaded next experimental version of Dpup Wheezy.

I hope I have made progress with firmware loading from puppy all-firmware location. I have succeeded to use it and I have created one addition to the governing firmware.dep file and it was noticed. My firmware needed dvb-usb stick loaded firmware from puppy firmware location automatically and initialized the stick. Yeah small success, but I dont have even one firmware needing wireless chip.

I abandoned kmod and wheezy udev-175 with all dependent stuff and replaced it with Barry Kauler`s compiled module-init-tools and udev-167-patched. It seems to work. I had also non-working /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe file (not sure anymore from where it was derived) and using pure woof one ( I have used latest woof ), the module loading with needed firmware started to work.

As side note....I have fixed a lot missing icons...probably something is still missing...and I have added wheezy compiled abiword and gnumeric. I wonder from where I got that idea, lol.
I have also added Xchat. Cups prints for me.

I hope this version behaves better than the previous one. I had this weekend time to woof this uploaded one...not sure how much time I will have in the future. But...Debian Wheezy is not also released as stable yet.

Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2.2 has been uploaded

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupWhee ... heezy3522/

P.S. If this version seems usable, I will create new thread for it.

sszindian

#117 Post by sszindian »

Wheezy-3.5.22

Working well so far, retained the speed from 3.5.2.1 which is good!

Wifi setup... could not make a connection from setup or desktop connect icon... but... a right/click on the tray Internet icon, go to setup network, and a connection was established. I have noticed this in several of the latest puppy distro's so... could be a little something in the woof-thing.

Wow... abiword & gnumeric seems to appear more clearly on the desktop on this new version... :wink:

On with testing...

'Thanks for the new build peamesu!' Someone once told me when I was a young lad, if your puppy barks long enough and loud enough you'll notice him! :lol:

>>>---Indian------>
Attachments
desktop-1.png
(120.34 KiB) Downloaded 444 times

anikin

#118 Post by anikin »

Hi pemasu et al,

here's one little snag, I have both in 3521 and 3522:

[68.909] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/i915_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/i915_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
[68.909] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
and one more, wheezy (installed on ext4 formatted sd card) doesn't see partitions when I save files.

And a question: have you tested newer kernel versions on wheezy - if yes, can you please, share your thoughts?
Attachments
save.png
(34.88 KiB) Downloaded 438 times

backi

#119 Post by backi »

Installed Wheezy on USB stick .

Tried to download some libs from Packetmanager .
All my letters changed to littles Squares ...some problem appeared on Precise Puppy before. .Later the Servicepack was provided to fix this bug .

pemasu

#120 Post by pemasu »

Anikin. Install libgli1-mesa-dri even though PPM tells it has been installed. Woof removes all the other than swrast_dri.so and so...the other dri drivers are not there. Or....download the package, extract it and copy only i915_dri.so to the /usr/lib/dri. You will save a lot savefile space by copying only the i915_dri.so file.

No...I havent tested any other kernels in dpup wheezy.

Backi. I suppose the solution is in Precise Puppy thread somewhere. Someone should dig it up...and post the solution here.
I found this solution. I think it has something to do with i386-linux-gnu symlink. PPM and /usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh should handle the i386-linux-gnu location....at least in Precise Puppy. Maybe it is hardcoded to the Precise Puppy .debs somehow.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 410#664410

If people get the wireless working...they could post pmodemdiag tarball to this thread.