Is there a Grub2.pet?

Using applications, configuring, problems
der-schutzhund

Is there a Grub2.pet?

#1 Post by der-schutzhund »

Hi all,

can anyone tell if it's a grub2.pet been around and where to find it?

LG

Wolfgang

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

It's here.

der-schutzhund

#3 Post by der-schutzhund »

if i inst. this pet and start it in sbin then nothing will displayed!
Is the 1.9.8 the Version 2?
The first part of your doku i have made. The iso will not start and a terminal is displayed.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

der-schutzhund wrote:Is the 1.9.8 the Version 2?
Yes
if i inst. this pet and start it in sbin then nothing will displayed!
What command did you run?
The first part of your doku i have made. The iso will not start and a terminal is displayed.
Are you trying to make your hard drive bootable with GRUB2 or a USB drive?

der-schutzhund

#5 Post by der-schutzhund »

commands: grub-install, grub-setup, grub-reboot
because grub2 will not start with gparted

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

der-schutzhund wrote:
because grub2 will not start with gparted
I don't know what that means.

The document here is specifically for setting up a USB drive to boot some Linuxes like Ubuntu out of their ISO files. In my experience, it does not work with Puppy for the same reason that I explained in your other thread.

Are you trying to install GRUB2 on your hard drive?

der-schutzhund

#7 Post by der-schutzhund »

I used a usb

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you followed the instructions exactly, you will get a bootable USB drive.

1. Does the drive boot?

2. Do you get a GRUB menu?

3. What menu entry are you using in your grub.cfg file?

4. Exactly what goes wrong?

der-schutzhund

#9 Post by der-schutzhund »

I'm not sure now whether we should stop at this point. I am working now for two days with this really simple question and only know what does not work.
If I have understood correctly then you are describing a way of running with ubuntu but not likely with puppy.
If I start the included Grub boot-config in Lazy then I get a window and can work with. There must be something like this for Grub2.

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

In the post here, oui claimed that he could boot a Puppy ISO file from GRUB2. You could test this yourself by setting up a GRUB2 USB drive and using his menu.

But his menu uses "from=$isofile" which is not a valid argument in Puppy.

I suspect that his method works because it finds the SFS file somewhere else on the hard drive, not in the ISO.

Your best bet for booting Puppy out of its ISO is the method here. It creates a virtual CD-ROM drive and loads it with the ISO file. So Puppy thinks that it is booting off a CD and can find all its files.

This method definitely works with Puppy. But I believe that you have already tried it and it failed.

der-schutzhund

#11 Post by der-schutzhund »

Hi rcrsn51,
I suspect that his method works because it finds the SFS file somewhere else on the hard drive, not in the ISO.
is possible....
Your best bet for booting Puppy out of its ISO is the method here. It creates a virtual CD-ROM drive and loads it with the ISO file. So Puppy thinks that it is booting off a CD and can find all its files.
i tried this and it really works sometimes!
Sometimes, however, comes the message that an iso can not be started because the iso is not continous. i have not deleted a iso but copied a new iso in the directory "auto"! It is not comprehensible why a iso runns and not the other!
Otherwise, a good system but no for use for everyday work!

Greetings

Wolfgang

oui

#12 Post by oui »

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 281#682281

Hi rcrsn51 thank you for your help for German user!

I always wonder you are so fast in discovering new user questions in new thread concerning the things where you really be more than excellent!

A 1st question: Would you also recommend that dotpet to install grub2 directly into the MRB and the partition where the Puppy-frugal or Puppy-ISO are to find?

2d question: Can this partition also be a Windows partition or is a boot partition in Linux format necessary? If it is necessary, can this partition and only this /boot containing /boot/grub partition be on a USB stick or floppy :lol: to avoid to change somewhat on the windows partition excepted the MBR (not being on it :wink: )? Also see next question, is about the same but viewing directly the problem of BIOS choices:

3th question: some computers does not have the BIOS choice to boot from stick. So my DELL Optiplex SX 270 (280 can do it; I did have 2 and it was possible - I suppose that my movable CD-ROM drive defined as USB drive make, that it is not possible because the USB way is already occupied in the BIOS?)... Would Grub ON THE MBR of hard disk look to the /boot/grub directory on the stick?

4th question: you did explicit require that the stick has to be formated into ext2. Is that really a need or only a recommendation

5th question: can grub for USB stick start somewhat only on the USB stick or on each place monted with «set root=(hda1,0)» etc. on the system?

last question: why did you load all the files from grub2 used as extended boot system (nutyx.org uses very flexibly the simple form and it works perfectly! more: it is, -without use of the full extended system,- using the grub2 installation for maintenance from NuTyx Linux but also from a lot of other system as the maintenance system includes a lot of commands being not system specific! If you have a free test PC to try it, try it! You can start the NuTyx installation from commando line in the monitor of ArchPup from a script, as well as from an install ISO if you prefer or can not other, if bash is for ex. different or not complete, the script uses of course the bash of LFS, and continue to use ArchPup at the same time :idea:. And after the login, you can continue, using NuTyx itself in the monitor of ArchPup :idea: to continue to install full KDE4 and Calligra and and and, hours along, and continue to use your actual Puppy without concession other than to share the download capacity of your network at download time. but the most time of full install is not really the download time if you have fast internet! I said ArchPup, but can be each other Puppy supporting the high compression xz! ArchPup needs it for the Arch mirrors... NuTyx as only perhaps an inconvenient for you: it is an only French distro, the last one, as Mandrake and Slitaz both speak English now... NuTyx is an automatic compilation and setting up from LinuxFromScratch and BLFS plus original software from sources direct from x.org, kde and mozilla.org and such provenience, nothing from other distros. But it is not really a minimalist distro :oops: . Only the base from LFS is tiny about 300 Mb only uncompressed. KDE will be installed with all recommended options :x etc...)

kind rgds

oui

#13 Post by oui »

How is able to check this page:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Grub2

Pls announce here after that, that the page is complete and if necessary updated. I will try to make a translation of it for Wolgang.

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

oui wrote:A 1st question: Would you also recommend that dotpet to install grub2 directly into the MRB and the partition where the Puppy-frugal or Puppy-ISO are to find?
I have never tried this. When using GRUB2 on a hard drive setup, the standard command is "update-grub". But I notice that my PET of 1.98 does not contain it.