Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Sep 2014, 19:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Java
Page 2 of 4 [52 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
jpeps

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jan 2013, 19:48    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Fixed in JWM-653 Smile .. now I can try your programs Smile

damn....you're my hero Smile

works!
jpeps

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jan 2013, 02:32    Post subject:  

Updated the sort editor with a line number sort; parses out and sorts numbers at the beginning of a line, eliminates blank lines, sorts non-numeric lines after the number lines, etc. The alphanumeric sort orders numbers 1-9 and then places 10 after 1.

Interesting thing about java, is that you build the function in a separate, reusable class which can then be used by other projects.
jpeps

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb 2013, 14:35    Post subject:  

Updated working jre to latest security patch (on first page)
01micko

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb 2013, 16:33    Post subject:  

jpeps wrote:
Thanks for that. By chance do you have a build script for java? Kind of a tarball to sfs thing?
jpeps

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb 2013, 21:17    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
jpeps wrote:
Thanks for that. By chance do you have a build script for java? Kind of a tarball to sfs thing?

It was a little tricky getting the link to work.

Code:

#!/bin/sh

jre="jre1.7.0_17"
temp="jre1.7.0_17_001"

mkdir -p "/tmp/${temp}/usr/local/bin"
mkdir -p "/usr/local/${jre}/bin"

##  GET PACKAGE
wget -O "/tmp/${jre}.tar.gz"  http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=75250

## UNPACK AND MOVE TO NEW FOLDER
cd /tmp
tar -xvzf "/tmp/${jre}.tar.gz"
 mv  "${jre}"    "${temp}/usr/local"

## COPY JAVA FILES FOR LINKING

cd "${temp}/usr/local"
cp   "${jre}/bin/java"  "/usr/local/${jre}/bin"     

cd "/tmp/${temp}/usr/local/bin"
ln -s "/usr/local/${jre}/bin/java" .

## CHANGE NAME FOR SFS BUILD
cd /tmp
mv "${temp}" "${jre}"

dir2sfs "$jre"

## Change name and CLEAN UP

name="$(ls | grep jre1*sfs | grep -v "txt")"

mv "$name"  jre1-7.0-17.sfs

rm -r "/usr/local/${jre}"
rm -r "/tmp/${jre}"
rm  "/tmp/${jre}.tar.gz"
rm /tmp/jre1*txt

echo  "jre1-7.0-17.sfs is in /tmp"

Last edited by jpeps on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 22:00; edited 5 times in total
starhawk

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb 2013, 23:01    Post subject:  

sunburnt wrote:
<snip>

Android is nearly a tablet + desktop O.S. ( amigo called it an interface ).
I`m thinking that making it desktop capable would kill Linux and Weeners.

I know I'm a little late to be commenting on this particular post... but...

http://www.android-x86.org/

Wink

It only works on a limited range of computers right now, though...

Monsie

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb 2013, 03:39    Post subject: Java  

jpeps wrote:
I was able to knock 63% off use of RAM with -Xmxn option (n=size). 2m is minimum.

example: in ROX, set run action to:
java -Xmx2m -jar "$@"

Does this tweak only work with certain Java packages? I have Java 1.6.0_33 in Wary Puppy. I modified the application_x-jar script in: /etc/xdg/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-types with the run action tweak, then ran one of my favorite Java utility programs and I was not able to find any noticeable difference in memory usage at all.
Code:
pmap -x process id

(where process id is the number assigned to the application in Pprocess) showed no significant change in how much memory my Java utility was using. Maybe I am missing something here and/or not understanding the procedure.

Monsie

jpeps

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb 2013, 04:48    Post subject: Re: Java  

Monsie wrote:
[

Does this tweak only work with certain Java packages? I have Java 1.6.0_33 in Wary Puppy.

I'm running version 1.7.0_13 (you might as well update...you can run the script). Try running from the terminal, comparing with top -n1. On my sort editor, it loads with 378m with just java -jar. With 20m tweak, it loads with 143m, and with 2m tweak, 129m. It you tweak it too much for the app, it won't run. It it loads with only 2m, you should see a big difference.
Monsie

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb 2013, 05:09    Post subject: Java  

Thanks, jpeps

Just to let you know that I downloaded your latest Java runtime package, moved it to /mnt/home, however it did not show up in BootManager and so I was not able to load it. The checksum for the download was fine. I tried re-naming the file, thinking that BootManager was filtering the entry for some reason, but no luck there...

Subsequently, I downloaded jre version 1.7.0_13 that TheAsterisk! put together right here and it showed up in BootManager, so I was able to load the package, reboot and run one of my Java apps just fine... In fact, so far I have found that one of my Java programs uses 28 mb less memory without your tweak --an improvement of 11% so it appears that Java 1.7x runs much more efficiently. Smile

Anyway, if you can think of any changes to make regarding your Java package (either on your part or mine), I am willing to test it again to see if it will load for me.

Monsie

01micko

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb 2013, 07:20    Post subject:  

Monsie

try renaming jpep's jre sfs package adding a hyphen after jre .. bootmanager might be choking on that...

jpeps

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb 2013, 12:59    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Monsie

try renaming jpep's jre sfs package adding a hyphen after jre .. bootmanager might be choking on that...

...changed the name; I didn't realize that was a convention.

edit: patched the build script
Monsie

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2013, 03:42    Post subject: Java  

jpeps wrote:
01micko wrote:
Monsie

...changed the name; I didn't realize that was a convention.

edit: patched the build script

Yes, I already tried Mick's suggestion when re-naming the Java package, but it didn't work... Then I had a new idea, and also replaced the underscores in the file name... and that did work Smile

The interesting thing I noticed is that the devx package has underscores in its name, as does Wary's main package. So, I can see how one might think it's okay to include underscores in third party packages... but apparently not. I am guessing that BarryK made a rule such that BootManager recognizes files with underscores in the name if those files are legitimate operating system packages. There must be a good reason for this, but as to why I can only speculate...

Monsie
sfs-packages--file-naming.jpg
Description  BootManager--file-recognition
jpg

Download 
Filename  sfs-packages--file-naming.jpg 
Filesize  196.96 KB 
Downloaded  230 Time(s) 

jpeps

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2013, 04:17    Post subject:  

Ah..thanks Monsie. I have other packages with underscores as well, besides the devx. I'm guessing you're not using SFS-on-the-Fly, or is it distro dependent? I'll rename again. Did you get the cache limiting option working?
Monsie

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2013, 05:00    Post subject: Java  

jpeps wrote:
Ah..thanks Monsie. I have other packages with underscores as well, besides the devx. I'm guessing you're not using SFS-on-the-Fly, or is it distro dependent? I'll rename again. Did you get the cache limiting option working?

I have not tried Shinobar's SFS load on the fly, but I am fairly sure that it works with Wary. If I get back to doing a full install of Puppy, I will probably test it. Do you know if Shino's program is subject to the same limitations with file names as BootManager or will it accept any package with an underscore in the name?

As for your tweak, I tested it on my favorite Java program and was only able to see a reduction in memory usage of 1 mb... However, this application was written for Java 1.4 and therefore might not be able to take full advantage of the tweak. Still, I was happy to see that it ran more efficiently with the new JRE anyway, as I noted in an earlier post.

Monsie

jpeps

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2013, 13:26    Post subject: Re: Java  

Monsie wrote:

I have not tried Shinobar's SFS load on the fly, but I am fairly sure that it works with Wary. If I get back to doing a full install of Puppy, I will probably test it. Do you know if Shino's program is subject to the same limitations with file names as BootManager or will it accept any package with an underscore in the name?

I don't know if this is unique to Wary, since this was the first I've heard of a Puppy.distro refusing to load underscores.

Quote:

As for your tweak, I tested it on my favorite Java program and was only able to see a reduction in memory usage of 1 mb... However, this application was written for Java 1.4 and therefore might not be able to take full advantage of the tweak. Still, I was happy to see that it ran more efficiently with the new JRE anyway, as I noted in an earlier post.

Monsie

That's also strange, since it's a standard Java option. Does it work with other java apps? You could try it on posted Sort Editor.
Page 2 of 4 [52 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Jump to: