PupShutdown-3.0

Miscellaneous tools
radky

#61 Post by radky »

Version 1.7.4. See main post.
-Enhanced shutdown support for restartwm, wmexit, wmpoweroff and wmreboot in the enlightenment desktop environment (e17).
-The optional 'Remove CD' dialog displayed at shutdown is now off by default, but can be reset in Preferences.

pemasu

#62 Post by pemasu »

Great !!! Thanks.

JSonic

#63 Post by JSonic »

Thank you!
I like this application, it's useful.

Jsonic

radky

#64 Post by radky »

JSonic wrote:Thank you!
I like this application, it's useful.

Jsonic
pemasu and JSonic, thanks for the kind comments. :)

radky

#65 Post by radky »

Version 1.7.5. See main post.
-Bugfix: set 777 permissions in /tmp folder of PupShutdown pet. (thanks rcrsn51)

radky

#66 Post by radky »

PupShutdown-1.8. See main post.
-Enhanced access to the Preferences dialogs. (thanks pemasu)
-Enhanced access to the current control panel and system information utility.
-Available as the shutdown option in the tray of PupMenu.

radky

#67 Post by radky »

PupShutdown-1.8.1 See main post.
-Added keyboard shortcuts for the eight standard shutdown options: Alt+P (Power-Off), Alt+R (Reboot), Alt+L (Log-Out), Alt+S (Lock Screen), Alt+X (Restart X), Alt+W (Restart WM), Alt+T (Manage Task) and Alt+F (Backup Files). Thanks shinobar.

BDX

#68 Post by BDX »

I always read about this app but i never thought that I'll need it.

Until i was searching for keyboard shortcuts for shutting down Puppy without using the mouse or even look at the screen.

I have to say Thanks for this great app it helps alot :)

M.H.
Puppy linux fact:Life is experiments......Download and try,Don't search and cry.

radky

#69 Post by radky »

BDX wrote:I have to say Thanks for this great app it helps alot :)
Hi BDX,

Thank you for using PupShutdown, and thanks for your kind comments. :)
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

vicmz

#70 Post by vicmz »

Your utilities are too superb to keep them just in English, please consider to have L18L or rodin.s to internationalise them by gettext, then you'll no longer have to worry about it because forum translators will localise even new versions using Momanager. Especially PupShutDown, it's present in many derivatives that are now translatable by the language packs. I made a translation for the internationalised version you offer (attached to this message), but at best it's better to have the latest version in the users' native languages. Keep up with yout excellent work. :D
Attachments
pupshutdown-1.7-spanish-locale.tar.gz
(844 Bytes) Downloaded 1064 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

radky

#71 Post by radky »

vicmz wrote:Your utilities are too superb to keep them just in English, please consider to have L18L or rodin.s to internationalise them by gettext, then you'll no longer have to worry about it because forum translators will localise even new versions using Momanager. Especially PupShutDown, it's present in many derivatives that are now translatable by the language packs. I made a translation for the internationalised version you offer (attached to this message), but at best it's better to have the latest version in the users' native languages. Keep up with yout excellent work. :D
Thank you vicmz for the kind comments.

As you have probably noticed, my gtkdialog applications have user interfaces which are relatively rigid in design and do not easily accommodate non-English strings which can vary significantly in the number of characters and sentence length. In other words, translated text may not fit in the confines of my GUIs. :oops:

As I recall, several non-English forum members have already noted this difficulty while attempting to localize my applications. Unfortunately, completely rewriting the applications would be very time-consuming.

That said, I'm open to your suggestions. :)

Best Regards,
radky

PS - Thank you for the pupshutdown-1.7-spanish-locale.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

vicmz

#72 Post by vicmz »

That problem is present even in flexible GUIs, if translations are very long they expand the window to an uncomfortable size. It is possible to shorten translations, for example 'apagar computadora' to simply 'apagar' (the user knows it's the computer that is going to shutdown), or 'reiniciar computadora' to 'reiniciar PC'. Some developers expand the information on what the buttons do by splash messages, for example hovering mouse pointer on 'respaldar' button shows splash message 'respaldar archivos' (back up files). Original English strings can remain as is, for they fit well on the GUI, or be shortened likewise, but this is up to the app creator. Anyway, everything is up to the developer, more languages means more users and testers, for example Spanish speakers liked PupSnap, but this app is not usually built in in puplets as PupShutDown.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

ASRI éducation

#73 Post by ASRI éducation »

@ radky
If you change your mind and if you choose to locate your different applications, I offer my help to provide .mo in french.

radky

#74 Post by radky »

ASRI éducation wrote:@ radky
If you change your mind and if you choose to locate your different applications, I offer my help to provide .mo in french.
@ ASRI éducation
Thank you for the generous offer. I'll certainly keep this in mind. :)

vicmz

#75 Post by vicmz »

Hello radky :D

This is a gettext version I made for my Openbox+Extras project. It was necessary because making one package for each language takes much time. Now that all components of O+E are gettexted, I can build one package with multiple language support. I am sharing PupShutdown-1.8-gettext.pet here in case you are interested:
Attachments
MoManager-es_AR-PupShutdown-1.8.1-gettext.tar.gz
Spanish locale file
(6.73 KiB) Downloaded 658 times
image-3.png
(52.65 KiB) Downloaded 665 times
PupShutdown-1.8.1-gettext.pet
(61.92 KiB) Downloaded 699 times

radky

#76 Post by radky »

vicmz wrote:Hello radky :D

This is a gettext version I made for my Openbox+Extras project. It was necessary because making one package for each language takes much time. Now that all components of O+E are gettexted, I can build one package with multiple language support. I am sharing PupShutdown-1.8-gettext.pet here in case you are interested:
Hi vicmz,

Thanks for the internationalized format. Your hard work is much appreciated.

BTW, in case you are interested :) , a new version of PupShutdown is almost ready. Importantly, the gui text has changed very little since 1.8.1, so additional gettext formatting would be minimal.

This release will support many of the popular window-manager switchers, and has a bugfix for the variant font list (fc-list) generated in recent Slacko releases.

Best Regards,
radky

vicmz

#77 Post by vicmz »

radky wrote: BTW, in case you are interested :) , a new version of PupShutdown is almost ready. Importantly, the gui text has changed very little since 1.8.1, so additional gettext formatting would be minimal.

This release will support many of the popular window-manager switchers, and has a bugfix for the variant font list (fc-list) generated in recent Slacko releases.
Great :D
I will include it in the next release of O+E. I'm planning to gettext PupSnap, too -- the Hispanic love that tool.

Off-topic (should I rather say related topic?) - Testers and translators needed for current release of Openbox+Extras:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82800

mmmrr

pupshutdown declines to install

#78 Post by mmmrr »

hi radky,

i'm trying to find a way to standby a precise pup 5.4.91,
kernel 3.8.0, on a dell inspiron b120

yr thread caught my eye. when the pupshutdown pet
in the link downloaded as a .gz file i was disconcerted
but clicked on it. the archiver offered to unpack to the same location so i did that then renamed it to .pet file

however, the ppm reports failure to install. i had a look
through yr thread and didn't see any mention of the
snags i've hit. what do you suggest? thank you.

cheers, mm

radky

Re: pupshutdown declines to install

#79 Post by radky »

mmmrr wrote:hi radky,

i'm trying to find a way to standby a precise pup 5.4.91,
kernel 3.8.0, on a dell inspiron b120

yr thread caught my eye. when the pupshutdown pet
in the link downloaded as a .gz file i was disconcerted
but clicked on it. the archiver offered to unpack to the same location so i did that then renamed it to .pet file

however, the ppm reports failure to install. i had a look
through yr thread and didn't see any mention of the
snags i've hit. what do you suggest? thank you.

cheers, mm
Hi mmmrr,

After reading your post I downloaded the PupShutdown-1.8.1.pet with Firefox, and again with Pwsget (menu->internet->Pwsget secure file downloader) with no problems.

At times, browser downloads can be problematic, so you could try a download manager such as Pwsget or uGet.

Just copy and paste the current download URL:

Code: Select all

http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupShutdown-1.8.1.pet
PupShutdown calls the acpitool utility (not included in the pet) to provide suspend functions for your notebook. I don't know if precise 5.4.91 has acpitool by default, but all necessary utilities and suspend scripts are included in pemasu's excellent Upup Precise (currently with kernel 3.8.3.1).

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84944

Thanks for your question. :)

mmmrr

#80 Post by mmmrr »

thanks for the speedy reply, radky

when i go to the url you provide i'm
offered the same .gz file which i did
not know what to do with before.

when i approach the pupshutdown
from the radky side of the url, i see
the index of yr .pet files but when
i click on one it shows up in the download
manager as a .gz file.

perhaps it's a quirk in the opera browser
download manager, though it would be a
first. i'll try with a different d-l manager.

i let you know what happens, cheers, mm