What version of Puppylinux for non-PAE?

Booting, installing, newbie
seoernghiepdu

What version of Puppylinux for non-PAE?

#1 Post by seoernghiepdu »

Should i install what version of Puppylinux if my laptop chip not support PAE? (i installed Ubuntu & it noticed can't install). Thanks for ur help!

rjbrewer

Re: What version of Puppylinux for non-PAE?

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

seoernghiepdu wrote:Should i install what version of Puppylinux if my laptop chip not support PAE? (i installed Ubuntu & it noticed can't install). Thanks for ur help!
I mostly use Wary 5.3 on non-PAE machines.
Would probably do the same on PAE machines also; unless
I really needed something Wary doesn't have.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

liro

#3 Post by liro »

seoernghiepdu wrote:Should i install what version of Puppylinux if my laptop chip not support PAE? (i installed Ubuntu & it noticed can't install). Thanks for ur help!
The standard non-PAE version of Slacko Puppy works fine on my Thinkpad laptop, which is about 10 years old. I've noticed that Wary is recommended a lot in the forum for "older" laptops, but I get the idea it's more suitable for really old hardware (like pre-2000) because I've tried Slacko on a couple of other similar-era laptops to mine and it worked fine (whereas with Wary I had some graphics and other problems).

Hogweed

#4 Post by Hogweed »

Have just installed RetroPrecise Puppy 5.4.3 (that's the non PAE variant) on my old laptop (been running Lucid Puppy on it for the last couple of years). Seems to be working perfectly.

See announcement at http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00070

Be sure to grab the "Retro" build if you try it out.

seoernghiepdu

#5 Post by seoernghiepdu »

I tried on USB, it's very smoothly. May be i will install on hard disk. Thanks :D.

Hogweed

#6 Post by Hogweed »

Glad you got it to work.

Remember you have the choice of a "frugal" installation rather than a full hard disk install and with puppy the frugal option is normally the best one. But you probably already know that :-)